1 2

#1January 9th, 2009 · 11:45 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Blue Monday Tick Tock

This song is not in a battle

This is, and is not a cover!

Because, technically, PorcelainDoll did not produce her track Tick Tock to be a musical interpretation of New Order's 1983 hit song "Blue Monday", but as I listened the track through, I couldn't resist humming those lyrics to it... And it struck me, that structure wise, all the lyrics didn't only fit in, they fitted in perfectly, with musical breaks and variations - and the ending - at exactly the right spots!

I got very enthusiastic about it, dowloaded the track and threw the vocals to it. With her blessing, I can now proudly present The Result!

So it has become a very special unintentional Blue Monday version, hence not following the original music much at all except for the basic base chords, instead being a very PorcelainDoll-ish music track in an unexpected "collaboration" with PuppetXeno on vocals.

Thanks PD and enjoy everyone!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 9th, 2009 · 11:58 AM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
yup
enjoying and tripping out am listening on micro speakers ...no bottom end ...no midz either which gives the song a kinda retro sci fi flavour, calling from planet plink.
People of earth `how does it feel`?
luv it

#3January 9th, 2009 · 12:20 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Yeah, I remember this song now. I love this interpretation of it (a bit slower, more dramatic..takes on an entirely new dimension). Love it!
#4January 10th, 2009 · 11:12 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I'm just so much into this track.
The fact that it's a collab and how it has come about, really well played PD and very well heard and realised PX.
Even though it is a cover I can totally understand that it's not, PD you created a complete track as it was, it had it's own 'story' in it's looping riffs , and really good they are too, and in it's structure, excellent. PX you added the missing essential element/instrument and you've done that so well.
What a load of MIDI pling and it's superb. Exactly what midi music should be , just love the tick ....today..today..tick..tock ....  and then all that midi...2:20 it all builds up again ...so sexy.
It has a certain 'constant push' like it picks it's self up and pushes forwards. it could be the changes that go on the next beat, with no pause.
And then you bring in the beautiful human element PX, dark and dirty in comparison. It is now an excellent track.
#5January 10th, 2009 · 01:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PX, it's wonderful how your instincts created this wonderful collab.

A job well done.

Cheers

Denis
#6January 10th, 2009 · 04:51 PM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
it is pretty cool isn't it even my mum likes it!
i tried to record it too, but mine sounds bum.
i like how my music is plinky plonky cheese like and then your voice comes in and makes it sound dark and like a proper song. i wasn't mad keen on the idea to start with, seeing as its such a massive well known song. didn't want us to get lynched like :P but its really grown on me now.

http://amydimples.posterous.com/

its definatly better done with yours than mine
#7January 10th, 2009 · 06:01 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
excellent... I love the sounds your getting , the music is just so electronic sounding.. and the effects and eq'ing on the vox are perfect.. and the breathy vocal way you sang it fits just right.   I could imagine hearing  this on the radio no problem.
#8January 10th, 2009 · 07:28 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Loved this..Great job from both..I also heard Amy's version and it also sounds great...You guys did well in both versions..PX your vocal fx was very fitting for the vibe here much enjoyed!!!
#9January 11th, 2009 · 06:58 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
PorcelainDoll wrote…
it is pretty cool isn't it even my mum likes it!
i tried to record it too, but mine sounds bum.
i like how my music is plinky plonky cheese like and then your voice comes in and makes it sound dark and like a proper song. i wasn't mad keen on the idea to start with, seeing as its such a massive well known song. didn't want us to get lynched like :P but its really grown on me now.

http://amydimples.posterous.com/

its definatly better done with yours than mine

Yeah, it's pretty cool how it worked out, so completely "out of the blue"! I can hear why you're not overly happy with your version but it's really cool to hear your voice, that alone does your music more justice than mine can ever.

blakhatz wrote…
People of earth `how does it feel`?
luv it

Thanks!

battlecat wrote…
Yeah, I remember this song now. I love this interpretation of it (a bit slower, more dramatic..takes on an entirely new dimension). Love it!

A new dimension indeed, it wasn't meant to be Blue Monday after all. It just sneakily turned into it.

kings wrote…
Even though it is a cover I can totally understand that it's not, PD you created a complete track as it was, it had it's own 'story' in it's looping riffs , and really good they are too, and in it's structure, excellent. PX you added the missing essential element/instrument and you've done that so well

Thanks, and yes, the instrumental track has it's own poetry, but even within that poetry it lends itself for the lyrics really well (as you mentioned today.. today.. tick tock tick tock..) but also the end - "how does it feel when your heart grows cold" and then the one theme returns that had started after the first part "I'm quite sure that you'll tell just how I should feel today".

Also, although originally instrumental, "tick tock" accepts vocals really well. Some instrumental tracks simply don't accept vocals because the instrumentation is too dominant. The slow, laid back nature of the instrumental made it possible!

Denis wrote…
PX, it's wonderful how your instincts created this wonderful collab.

A job well done.

Cheers

Lol.. I always wanted to do a collab with PD Just needed a really good excuse. jk.. Thanks!

toastedgoat wrote…
excellent... I love the sounds your getting , the music is just so electronic sounding.. and the effects and eq'ing on the vox are perfect.. and the breathy vocal way you sang it fits just right.   I could imagine hearing  this on the radio no problem.

Thanks - it was fun setting the vocal effects to make them blend in with the track really well. I had to re-record several parts a couple times because my voice sounds like sh*t - I've been having a cold for months now, and I'm producing a lot of mucus. My range is down to 1/2 octave and I'm exceeding both extremes in these vocals... yeah pretty bad! The effects make up for a lot but its far from perfect. But I'm not telling where the worse flaws are LMAO

Marino wrote…
Loved this..Great job from both..I also heard Amy's version and it also sounds great...You guys did well in both versions..PX your vocal fx was very fitting for the vibe here much enjoyed!!!

Thanks! Thank PD for the vibe! I'm just happy I managed to not ruin it! Amy's own voice is where the true magic is - not sure if she realizes that hehehe
#10January 11th, 2009 · 04:17 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Listening again..yes it's an instrumental that's taken a vocal track well.
I love the fullness of all those midi pinks and plinks cascading through each other....the way it goes off on one +-2:00 totally excellent.
I totally agree with radio play , a little more bass (sound) maybe? sweeping hats?
Why don't you guys do Human League › Dont You Want Me ? You could do that one together, it would be excellent!
#11January 11th, 2009 · 04:24 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
kings wrote…
Why don't you guys do Human League › Dont You Want Me ? You could do that one together, it would be excellent!

That idea scares the crap outta me
 I find myself Very often chanting "Don't you want me, baby".. yeah I was young mind forming consciousness in the 80s
#12January 11th, 2009 · 04:25 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Blue Monday Tick Tock
VERY VERY NICE................

Very Hi VOTE
Trippy Fish
#13January 12th, 2009 · 04:04 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
PX you made the best out of it...
effect on the voice fits perfect
and the mix is top
#14January 19th, 2009 · 04:34 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
today is...
i read it in the news today: the monday of the last full week of january is the most depressing day of the year... The "blue monday", and it's today... I tend to disagree, i'm not depressed at all, and tomorrow is my birthday. Plus we got this song up with lots of really nice comments... What more ya want... !

Cheers all...
#15February 7th, 2009 · 04:47 PM
59 threads / 56 songs
162 posts
Netherlands
heey pup.  great track my friend! i mean realy like it...sounds crispy and clean.did you use your sidstation and machinedrum on this track?

laterzzzz
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:16 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.