1 2

#1October 20th, 2008 · 02:05 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Time (Pink Floyd cover)

This song is not in a battle

All I seem to do is put up covers these days.  I really should record some of my own stuff again - still, doing this helps me learn the software pretty well!

This is a cover of Pink Floyd's "Time".  I copied the alarm clock from the original (tried, but couldn't find another sound clip that fitted as well).

Guitar and all vocals are me
Bass by Andy Roy
Drums and piano programmed by me.

Thoughts anyone?

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 20th, 2008 · 03:01 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS!?!??!?! I FREAKING LOVE THIS SONG!!! HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!!!
I HAVENT LISTENED TO IT YET BUT HOLY CRAP WAY TO FREAKING GO!!!
PINK FLOYD ROCKS AND SO DOES THIS SONG!!!!!
ok now to listen to it. (i really wanted to do a cover of this song too)

Wow. this is awesome. i would have done the vocals a little differently...maybe more shouting like, but this is a GREAT cover.
Good work.
THis is by far my favorite band and one of my favorite songs. I am just so happy someone posted this.
Did you use tabs or just played this entire song by ear or what?
Great work on the programming of drums. (LOL i had drugs posted before... this is an edit..sorry about that...i meant drums)
Solo is screeching. Nice. I think it could have used a different type of distortion.
I think the guitars EQ or something is wrong...i think it could be brighter...

Excellent work, excellent composition, and excellent choice.
(I guess you applied your own singing style to this song. Nice!)
#3October 20th, 2008 · 03:48 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
lol im listening again. totally awesome
#4October 20th, 2008 · 04:14 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Hey Jim!
Man, this is impressive; you singing is amazing, I totally love the whole voice arrangements. The guitars solos sound exellent, and the whole programing is so pro.
Dude, you did a great job here.
Once again, congratulations for that great job you've done here covering that masterpiece we all know.

> Iszil
#5October 20th, 2008 · 04:37 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Hey there Jim..I have always loved this song...yeah its a cover but what the heck...this is good...The alram clock is great..I know its from the original song....your sounding real good here Jim..I have always thought that you have one of the better set of vocals here on the amp...and you didn't disappoint  me here..very nice harmonies...nice bass line....I like how you stayed in your element with your voice Jim..not trying to imitate the original...nice work...

Flyer

Nice Rating
#6October 20th, 2008 · 05:19 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
what software is it?
Can you tell sth about your setup and your equipment?

great cover....
#7October 20th, 2008 · 10:57 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
great job on this one.. you really got this one down..  excellent cover of a excellent song.
#8October 21st, 2008 · 04:56 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Guys... wow! Didn't expect such a response, so thanks very much.

Kunadiun - LOL!  Glad you appreciated it

Iz - you're spot on, the Amp is very much for musicians to learn from each other - there's just loads of advice and help on here if you look (or ask) for it.

Ralph - thanks.  I worked hard on the harmony vox (5 layered vocals) with this one.  Still not quite happy with the vocal delivery on the main vox, but I did it a few times over, and it's pretty close to my upper range before I go falsetto! More vocal exercises needed there I think

TK - the setup for this one:
Recording software is Cubase;
Piano is a vst called mda piano. 
Drum sounds are another VST package, EZ Drummer; they're programmed using a mixture of the piano roll and the patterns that are in EZ Drummer.
Guitar is a Line6 Variax.
Bass is a US Fender Mustang
Mic is an old Shure 588SA
Everything is recorded via a Line6 Pod XTL (patches made on the Pod for guitar, bass, and vox).
Phew!!!

TG - thanks for the compliment. In truth this was a pure indulgence following a comment made during a band practice.  We also cover Another Brick by Pink Floyd; we'd just finished playing it when Andy (bass) said he'd love to do another Floyd cover.  I started playing the chords to Time for a laugh and everyone joined in!  As it sounded pretty good with no backing, we decided to do it in our set - I started to make the backing, then thought I may as well finish it off.

Th th th that's all folks!!!

#9October 21st, 2008 · 05:05 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Cool I'd like to see your other pink floyd covers. I am working on pink floyd songs as well and hope to get them recorded.

Keep it up
#10October 21st, 2008 · 05:24 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Jim this is awesome..Very well done..This is one of the best renditions I've heard from you..Sounds like time and effort were really spent here...Good show
#11October 21st, 2008 · 09:11 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
"TIME" and effort....lol
#12October 23rd, 2008 · 01:40 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Very well done Jim and friends.
A really good cover of indeed a masterpiece.
You must be learning loads doing these kinds of projects.
I think your vocal is excellent in the choruses and harmonies (harmonies are actually dead funny  ) but you seam to be pushing your limit in the verse.
Have you tried 'talking' through it first ? to get your own vocal level.
Sorry ! listening for the 4th time I realise that towards the end it's vocally excellent. but then your not 'pushing it'
A very true cover, thoroughly enjoyed. Cheers, Good work.
#13October 24th, 2008 · 02:11 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I just noticed, at the end of the song you say "magic words", but in the pink floyd song the end lyrics are "magic spells"

This is no problem as it blends right in. Just thought id point it out.
Excellent work.
(I heard your brick in the wall cover...EXCELLENT!!!)
#14October 25th, 2008 · 01:19 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Kunadiun...So I do! That's what happens when you sing the song with no lyrics in front of you
Also, you asked the question earlier about whether I used tabs - the answer's "no". 
I prefer working a song out for myself most of the time.  There are occasions when I've looked at a guitar tab website just to check something out (a bit of the guitar part on Sultans of Swing, for example) but even then, once I've understood what's being played I tend to change it.

And thanks for the comment about Another Brick.  Still not convinced that I want to put yet another cover up here.

Kings... thanks for the compliments.  This for me is THE way to learn on a number of fronts.  With every song that my band covers I get to try a different style of guitar playing and singing; I also get the chance to pull a song apart and look at the construction, the instrumental choices, and of course I practice recording and mixing.
The harmonies were fun to do in this song - not sure about them being "funny" but they were fun!  And there's no two ways about it, this song pushes my vocals to the edge.  It's one of those songs that probably sound better vocally when performed live.  The end of this is two semi-tones down from the main section; much closer to my normal vocal range.
Cheers

Jim A
#15October 25th, 2008 · 09:32 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Ah yes. I am not quite at the ability to fully understand songs, and from what I know, just take it from there...but I am working on it. Very cool. Ill have to keep practicing.

The way I look at it, put as many covers up as you want. Even if you didnt WRITE the song you can still cover it, and use all of your own style and implement in the song. You could even call yourself a COVER band, and just throw in a few original pieces here and there.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 6:04 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.