1 2
#16July 21st, 2005 · 07:38 AM
10 threads / 8 songs
39 posts
Cambodia
Wow, I'm surprised by the Steely Dan comparison.  And greatly honored.  Steely Dan is one of my favourite bands ever (hence the similarity, perhaps) so to think that I've produced something that sounds even remotely like them... well, thank you.
#17July 25th, 2005 · 05:55 AM
29 threads / 21 songs
75 posts
United Kingdom
like the timing at the begining. would sound nice with some acoustic guitar lightly in the back when you get into the verses. drums are good 
#18July 25th, 2005 · 12:10 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
31 posts
United States of America
Sounds good, but not a fan
the music sounds good, but it doesn't really move me.

I think i felt some sort of free jazz vibe, which is cool to some people.
But i can't take it, lol.

IT sounds pretty good, and i wont let my taste in music cloud that judgment, so you get an 80%.
#19July 25th, 2005 · 12:10 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
31 posts
United States of America
Sounds good, but not a fan
the music sounds good, but it doesn't really move me.

I think i felt some sort of free jazz vibe, which is cool to some people.
But i can't take it, lol.

IT sounds pretty good, and i wont let my taste in music cloud that judgment, so you get an 80%.
#20July 29th, 2005 · 07:12 PM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
The piano is nice. However the vocals don't get merged with the rest of the sound. I have no idea why. But sounds nice.
#21August 20th, 2005 · 04:53 AM
12 posts
Spain
Loved the tune Sumari
I really Dig the base, Drum & Bass sound great and the piano is great there..., it would be interesting to try different sounds ond the piano, more on a keyboard sense, and this song would make a perfect remix.

I was riding what Iszi asked about the tritone, and IŽd love to add, if I may.
The perfect tritone is what you get between B and F in the perfect major scale, as Samurai said and was right, Was considered to sound SATANIC, all thorughout the Midlle age. It was called The DIABOLO, which Pagannini exploted very much in his romantic period (I like to think of Pagannini, like a Romantic period Marilin Manson, just for his shock marketing campainŽnot for his music ), in order to get a reputation.

Nowadays, the tritone, is the very base for mothern and popular music, since it is what gives the DOMINANT sensation to a chord, it is what you get between a major third and a flat 7th on any chord.
#22September 1st, 2005 · 09:56 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
love it a lot.  great feel.  drummer needs to hold back a little and just lay down a grove rather than prove how good he is after every 4 bars.  its a common trap to fall into, but it detracts from the song.  thats a small criticism, however, for what is definately a fine composition.
#23September 1st, 2005 · 11:59 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
I have to say, I thought there was something a little bit off with the drum part through the whole song but it just didn't hit me, and then I found out that your drummer is your guitar player and then it clicked... hehe... get a real drummer. He does a very admiral job, many commendations on being able to do that. I mean I'm solid and I can hold it down, but I don't know... anyway, get a real drummer it'll make a world of differnce.

Interesting intro rhythm construction...

9/8 10/8

or

5/8 2/4 5/8 5/8

depending on which way you want to look at it...

I have to say I didn't like it much... honestly I don't like altered time signatures... that's not to say I don't like polyrhtyms, because they're different, but generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of these strange signatures, which I affectionately term "stuttered" signatures. I dunno, that's just me. Now especially when they're not played very well, and honestly you guys really didn't do that crazy timing the justice that you could have, which makes it all the more difficult for me to listen to. I sorta dislike stuttered time in the first place, but when played badly, I really can't stand it... and well... lets just say you guys didn't pull it off and leave it at that.

uhh... anyway, overall there was nothing in particular that I really disliked about this song, I guess I just... I don't know... it's hard to say... I didn't really really like it... but I certainly didn't dislike it... it was sort of a middle ground...

you're very talented technically, to be sure... I mean... technical talent you're up there in the above average eschelon of the musical talent world... as with another song of yours I really just could not understand the lyrics. You seem to me, and tell me if I'm wrong... you seem to be a more instrumental style of composer and player, esp regarding one of your posts I read which said something like "or better yet write music without lyrics"... so that's what I'm suggesting to you right now...

try writing your music sans lyrics, I think it'll flow better and be overall a lot more appealing... and or, don't be embarrased... get someone else to write lyrics for you... like... find an actual poet, a writer... whoever, and get them to write lyrics for you... then write your music to those lyrics with him present so he can at least guide the first session and then you guys take it from there...

two of the greatest bands in history (socio-demographically speaking here... this is whether you like them or not) The Greatful Dead and Phish both did it that way, as well I'm sure as other great bands. None of the songs by The Dead or Phish have lyrics written by the musicians. In the case of The Dead it was Robert Hunter who wrote all the lyrics and in the case of Phish it was Tom Marshall who wrote all the lyrics. Rather ingenuous way to go about it IMO, let each person do what he/she is good at... if you're the blazing instrumental genius, let that be your role... and go look for the mad fool poet to help give your songs meaning and direction.

Anyway, that and get a new drummer and let your guitarist play guitar! LOL!!! I love playing drums but I wouldn't want to have to be THE drummer in my band.

Anyway, I dunno that's just my suggestion... you obviously don't have to do that, but I think it's worth a shot, and if you really are (and want to be) more of an instrumental oriented person, don't sacrifice your own personal integrity and just concentrate on what you like and what you're good at, which is instrumental music.

ok, and as a last word, i take back what I just said... I do kinda like it... you guys do rock... I can really hear the potential... the lyrics just need a LOT of smoothing out... but the way it is, i keep returning to that it just doesn't "do it for me" and I think that's because it's too frantic... it's got that fast rockin jazz groove but you're trying to fit too much into one pocket... and least that's my perception, a "real" drummer plus a lead singer who's not rhythmically bound would really help you a lot, especially you the bass, cuz it would free you up to do those complicated bass lines that you're NOT doing because you're singing.

it's that "stuttered" effect I was talking about... the lyrics you're singing are going so fast that they get stuttered and blurred... also the fact that you have to hold down the bass part! who! of all the parts to have to hold down! heheh, i mean you're the solid core of the band really... and then you have to sing the lyrics... no wonder they get all staccato choppy and blurred together! I can really hear in my head how it would sound if you had a lead singer who was JUST the singer... then he'd be free from any of the timing issues of having to play rhythm and he/she could just sail on top of your groove... that plus a new drummer would smoothe out the groove a LOT and you'd be golden... so maybe it's less that you need to get a lyricist and more that you should get a lead singer... no offense to you Mr. Bass man, but lets face it, it's not the best it can be... also I still think that the lyricist idea is worth a shot, and the lyricist doesn't have to be the lead singer - in fact it might be better if he's not

anyway... it rocks... and if it rocks... I like it (usually) and this... I like... but not enough... back to the drawing board bro, you're on to something but you've gotta sqeeze the little furry munchkin out of the brick wall... comb the whiskers... glue some velvet onto it, tape it with velcro, paint it purple, give it sneakers and put a hat on it... then you'll have something
#24January 14th, 2006 · 01:29 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
42 posts
Canada
I am a big funk bass fan, Very cool song the piano work is excellent
#25July 20th, 2006 · 06:40 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
wow very nice.

mix has some issues, not much. just tweaks (like said) plus a bit of clipping here and there...

but the song itself is great.
#26July 20th, 2006 · 08:13 PM
151 threads / 150 songs
265 posts
United States of America
It reminds me of the older billy joel stuff, that hardcore fast music with a message played on a piano.

The drums are definatley nice, but I think the piano needs to be brought out a bit.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 6:48 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.