1 2

#1February 26th, 2008 · 04:36 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Experimentos

This song is not in a battle

After the last epesode of the last song I uploaded called 'On The Up' [don't want to go into too much detail], but a member suggested that I should not experiment? Yes very strange I know. So naturally I thought I would do another experiement , both on production techniques and of cource my music.

Cheers

Denis

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 26th, 2008 · 05:09 PM
2 threads
49 posts
Ireland
Being a Celt, I hear all sorts of resonances in this piece Denis. Ambitious, would make a good sound track. Nice!
#3February 27th, 2008 · 05:43 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Personally I can't think of a better place to experiment and get feedback and advice from other experienced musicians. If I wanted to listen to standard biscuit tin, run of the mill, mimic what we've all heard before music I would just stick the radio on and ignore this website.

I think you are a wonderfully gifted and dedicated musician and I absolutely admire your continuous efforts to expand your music. Technically I am not astute enough to comment on production techniques but I love the music. Great mellow flow with interesting build at the end, personally think it could build to even bigger finale.

Well done, keep at it. 
#4February 27th, 2008 · 02:23 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
WaM wrote…
Personally I can't think of a better place to experiment and get feedback and advice from other experienced musicians. If I wanted to listen to standard biscuit tin, run of the mill, mimic what we've all heard before music I would just stick the radio on and ignore this website.

I think you are a wonderfully gifted and dedicated musician and I absolutely admire your continuous efforts to expand your music. Technically I am not astute enough to comment on production techniques but I love the music. Great mellow flow with interesting build at the end, personally think it could build to even bigger finale.

Well done, keep at it.  :)

Thanks for your comments, much much appreciated
#5February 27th, 2008 · 02:26 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Cosmo wrote…
Being a Celt, I hear all sorts of resonances in this piece Denis. Ambitious, would make a good sound track. Nice!

The celt feel or similar, was precisely what I was trying for, thanks for comfiming it for me

Denis
#6February 27th, 2008 · 10:19 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
43 secs is the shit man! Tell me how much fun was that to do! At that stage you could of went Metallica live in San Fran with the orchestra direction. I honestly think this is the best piece I've heard from you. I do however find the flute a bit too much in my face (it's the high frequencies of the instrument) Lots of unwanted noise in the recording but I'm sure your aware of that. I would personally like to thank Leisure Class for getting under your skin enough  and providing some fuel for this fire! More like this without the noise..lol
#7February 27th, 2008 · 11:34 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
ok
Denis..

Let me first say that luckily my speakers are such that I can't hear that unwanted noise...  I just hear some Fantastic Celtic sounds...  I do agree the flute is a bit too up in the mix, should be a bit more evened out, and set back just a touch..  Some places it isn't too bad, but others it really gets in your face, adn I don't think it compliments the mood when it does that... THAT being said, I must say the flute playing is fantastic...  And I too love the harmonics...  Really adds some awesome emotion....  Well done my friend....  From your number one fan...

JimK

P.S. I do like Spearimentos, but I like the peppermint ones too...  Not too keen on the fruit flavor..
#8February 27th, 2008 · 11:41 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Jim , your to funny man that is cool... Denis. I think playing with new ideas and exploring new sounds and ideas is what makes music interesting and fun.  Shit we would all still be doing Gregorian chant if no one ever tried anything different or maybe not even that.  Music must evolve with new ideas and concepts.  Some like it some don't.  I happen to like it .. especially when it is coming from such a talented person. Keep it up cause it is so good  to the ears.
#9February 28th, 2008 · 03:04 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
47 posts
Germany
Really great.  Taking the focus away from the flute for a moment, I really like the guitar tracks -- intricately composed and some inspired playing.  The flute adds so much to the feeling of your music.  Levels could us some work to blend the tone a little more, but there is time for that as you move this piece from experimental to complete work.  Keep 'em coming -- great experiments.  Keep taking us to the lab so we can see what's on the slab!

Rick
#10February 28th, 2008 · 04:43 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Experimentos
FANTASTIC
a bit rough around the edges...............but who cares
TULL.........................bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feels like i found an old double lp with a hidden track

what a pleasure................

thanx

kersploosh the fish
#11February 29th, 2008 · 12:26 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Yup fantastic Denis this is just great....Love it, nothing for me to say but to keep writing amazing stuff like this...We should get you upset more often....(LOL)..Amazing!!!
#12February 29th, 2008 · 02:41 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks Everbody
Wow, It's nice to have reviews, I just love this site and the people in it, you are my No1 inspiration
to create new songs.

Please don't hold back to critique, the experiement on the production quality failed in this song, but
I've just ordered a new preamp as part of my new birtrhday present, this should improve the sound quality.
Also, I need to learn how to control the volume of the flute, the higher registers are too loud, I was thinking of compressing the flute more, but that's cheating, so I will practice controling the levels better, I also think I'm blowing a bit too hard.

Bless

Denis
#13February 29th, 2008 · 04:10 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I didn't know you uploaded this here!  I figured you weren't going to since you emailed it to me.  For reference, here is the email verbatim:

Denis,

Happy birthday!

I apologize for the brevity of this review, but I'm pressed for time.

The biggest issue with this track is the slip in production quality from your earlier tracks.  There is a thick layer of noise that encompasses every aspect of the sound and destroys the track.  The mix is also needs a lot of work.  The entire track needs an EQ makeover, and the leveling needs work.  The flute is far too prominent, far too shrill and doesn't compliment the track.  The string patch used on the keyboards needs to have a shorter decay time.  The guitar, again, is far too shrill.  There is no bass to the track and I think it could have used something to pedal around.

At 2:40ish, the entire track's EQ seemed to change and everything went even tinnier...

I like that you're taking new steps with the flute, and there are a few mess-ups, but I like the legato runs; I'm impressed with the progress you've made in such a short time.  I'm no flutist, and I can't say for sure, but it seems like you are too breathy when you play.  I would really experiment with your mic placement; that would improve the quality of your recording somewhat without your breathing into the mic.  The guitar is expressive and fits the music very well, but there is nothing in the area of playing dynamism.

I'd like to present you with some tips for recording: I've noticed (and this is even back when I didn't feel this was a problem for your tracks) that your tracks seem to be as loud as possible.  Lay back of the volume when you record, and lay back on the compression.  Your music is consistently louder than almost everything else I listen to.  At these kind of levels, the hiss is terrible.  This track peaks in several places, and that is something else that could be avoided.  The compression/levels also make your dynamism (if any) dead.  While your playing may have tone and timbre, it doesn't have great dynamics.

If you have one mic, I'd suggest turning it down way, way low, (I mean like 25% of what you are currently doing) and place is as close as possible to between the sound hole and the start of the neck of your guitar so that your picking hand is at least one inch away.  At that position and level, you can record at reasonable levels without overwhelming your track with noise, maintain dynamism and have great control over tone.  If you have another mic, then I'd place is about three feet away, in line with the headstock, pointed at the sound hole and very gently bring it into the mix for ambiance.  Aim for a -3dB peak of levels at this point.

I apologize only if you are offended; I'd hope by now you realize I mean only the best.

Again, happy birthday!

Avi
#14March 5th, 2008 · 05:34 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Great recording quality.

Flute is played really well.

One thing you could work on would be dynamics.

With some really soft phrases on the flute played really quietly, building up to forte again this could be very, very nice.
#15March 5th, 2008 · 07:40 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
Your songs go through so many transformations that I always want to listen ad reply big long huge powerful responses.

In the second 'phase' where you mute pick, that sounds cool. Are you playing the woodwind, too?
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 2:54 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.