#1February 22nd, 2008 · 09:52 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
9 posts
United States of America
Lauren Diamond
Please vote for this song !
Current votes: 5 (needs min. 15)
It’s in the battle 2008-03

Folk meets Motown, they have a kid that is depressed but catchy. Put your dancing shoes on.

NOTE: Apparently this song is not Motown or Folk, listen with caution.

Also, I'm getting a lot of stuff about crappy drums and horns, which I totally agree with, but to explain, I recorded this in my room with a MacBook using only an accoustic guitar and the mic inside the computer.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 22nd, 2008 · 11:47 PM
2 threads
49 posts
Ireland
I tried hard not to like this but found myself listening to it again and again.
Great - I love the brass against the guitar and the darkness in the vocal.
I'm impressed - good stuff!
#3February 23rd, 2008 · 11:56 AM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
I like this one alot. However, to me it's lacking that Motown bass line, courtesy of "The hook".
#4February 23rd, 2008 · 12:28 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Folk meets Motown ?

Brasses are not Motown-ish and the guitar is much out of tune
#5February 23rd, 2008 · 09:07 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Edit

To give constructive criticism or dislike a song its ok but to put down and plainly insult is unacceptable....
Be honest but constructive!!!
(this was in reference to a few post you did on other musicians)
Anyways
Song has great hook some minor Eq and mix issues but a great job nonetheless!!!
m.
#6February 24th, 2008 · 01:30 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
I edit the review I posted,I don't endorse jerks with attitudes!!!!...
http://forum.bandamp.com/Abuse/7567.html
If you need clarification!!!!
Personally I think you should be apologizing by now!!!!
To give constructive criticism or dislike a song its ok but to put down and plainly insult is unacceptable.....So I think you better shape up or say goodbye!!!!!!!!

Yes An appology would be acceptable. I'm sure there is something on bandAmp which has a section on how to review a song, I would put up a link if I knew where it was.

Denis
#7February 24th, 2008 · 01:42 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
review
The concept of the song is ok, but the execution is lacking cohesion in production quality. The voice starts out like it's sung through a cardboard box only to shape up way near to the end. Now, vocal effects are nice, but how is it functional here?

Conceptually it's decent, there are good parts in it. Needs to be tightened up, as especially the brasses sounds like they coming from a $30 toy keyboard from the 1980's. That could work ... if used sparsely.

I couldn't pick out the motown or folk thing really. Sounds more like a typical semi-alternative pop rock tune to me.
#8February 24th, 2008 · 02:24 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
Motown drum loop is from GarageBand... not exactly professional dude.

I agree with puppet... no folk or motown vibes for me, er, besides that loop of course.

Song is pretty catchy though. More work and this could be a hit.
#9February 25th, 2008 · 06:10 PM
3 posts
United States of America
Seems a little disjointed.  The drums sound very Casio keyboard like, but the guitars sound good.  I'm really not digging the vocals, they sound really thin and not very on key.  Just my opinion.  I must agree with others though that it is catchy!
#10February 25th, 2008 · 06:12 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
7 posts
United Kingdom
The guitar sound and vocal tone are cool and very artistic. I agree with the Casio keyboard comments but although the production is limited by this in terms of composition and arrangement I like the song.
#11February 25th, 2008 · 06:24 PM
4 posts
United States of America
Well I actually made it to your spot on bandamp by seeing you rip on a few other bands songs.  I came here with very high expectations based on the comments you left on others.  Most of the songs you were harsh about were I actually really enjoyed, so when I finally made it to your song I was expecting a great recording with great vocals, etc.  The song is kind of catchy, but it seems like a home recording.  The  vocals just don't seem on key most of the time, but it may be the effect.  Overall it's pretty solid and has a way of getting in your head.  All I'm saying is if you're going to be that harsh in your reviews make sure you've got something GREAT or you're asking for karma to come on down.
#12February 26th, 2008 · 07:05 PM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
as much as I don't like the way you treat others I don't want to fall in the trap of being like you!
I like your track
the recording might not be pro but I enjoyed the low fi feel of it
it reminded me of beck at some point
I'm sure if you mellow your attitude a little you will find that there's a lot of nice and talented people on the amp but you will find as well that we are a close community and that we take good care of our members it's up to you to become one
#13February 27th, 2008 · 10:00 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
great idea , cool feel, needs a little work,  for me, I am tired of hearing that same vocal effect, on........ anymore it seems like 90% of the songs I hear on the radio . IMHO it's tiresome and overdone.  I prefer songs that are just sung very well with minimal effects especially that am radio effect .  I will admit that it does fit this song some .
I feel that this songs has lots of potential , I didn't catch what all the fuss was about on the reviews as I have been gone for a couple of weeks,  but welcome to the amp , looking forwards to some more material from you.

edit: voted
#14March 26th, 2008 · 10:15 AM
25 threads / 23 songs
168 posts
United States of America
Eh, what can I say. I enjoyed this. It was just a fun listen.
#15March 30th, 2008 · 06:07 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
This has radio written all over it , love the slappy detuned guitar , play with the drum loops eq a bit lose the processed off the shelf garage band sounds , just personal suggestion , tahere ain
t nuthin wrong with garage band
cool song mate diggin it
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 7:56 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.