1 2

#1December 16th, 2007 · 11:53 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Major Turnaround

This song is not in a battle

This is a happy jam track that I sat down today and just banged out in the three takes that you hear.  The lead is a little sloppy, but I like the groove of the track, and this isn't anything extraordinary.  There's potential for this to develop into a full-blown instrumental, but for now this is just something for me to take my mind off my exams for a half hour.

The bass sounds strange because it's actually my acoustic guitar pitch-shifted.  My roommate's acoustic bass needs a bit of work before it is rightly playable.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 17th, 2007 · 12:12 AM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
I like this a lot man :]
It's great
and like I said,it's simple, but it's got a more-to-it feel
I can hear probably a trombone or trumpet

It could be something amazingly-super-duper-spectacular-extravaganzy!!!

100%
#3December 17th, 2007 · 01:42 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the comments; glad you liked it.
#4December 17th, 2007 · 05:53 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
Very good Avi! Lovely groove you've got there
you should take this one to next stage
do you really want to keep it as an instrumental because I think some vocals on that one would sound great
looking forward to see where this one is going
great song good job!
#5December 17th, 2007 · 01:33 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I don't have any lyrics for this, but if you could write something for this, I would love to add that extra dimension.

I am glad you like this though, thank you.
#6December 17th, 2007 · 02:49 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice Jam track.

I get the feel of making this into a calypso tune, it certainly has that feel.

I'm always here for ya Avi if you want Bass added, when you get time to complete it, just post it to me.

Yeah you have got to try your vox too, your vox is improving from the last I heard of you.

Try playing less in the guitar melody, we all do it , it's a natural thing to do for any guitarist. More space gives you more time, keeping relaxed thus improvisation easier. [As the great Miles Davis said]

Rated.

Denis
#7December 17th, 2007 · 03:19 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
ohh this is lovely. i love the feel of this ..has  great potential..a masterpiece in the working..brill!...xxxxxxxxxx
#8December 17th, 2007 · 07:17 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
my mp3 playback is busted at the moment... what's going on, i wonder...  downloading the track now, hoping to hear it without streaming it!

dang... not working.  it's not your track's fault.. my computer has probably got too much up-time, and has somehow started dying

be back shortly
#9December 17th, 2007 · 07:20 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Denis: Yeah, I hope to polish off the dust and re-do this eventually.  Honestly, I wasn't thinking about anything more than, "I have free time, let me record a jam."  I'll definitely give you a shout when I am free to redo this, thanks.

Pagan: Thanks, I am glad you liked this.

[edit] TLS:   One of those days, eh?
#10December 17th, 2007 · 07:24 PM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
top notch stuff, crystal production n nice jack johnson'y laid back feel to it, wicked stuff...dunno what else to say but yea nice one
#11December 17th, 2007 · 07:25 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
nah.. i'm finishing an online survery, and then the computer's going down for that reboot.  i've got nothing to do but write reviews for your song, vincent's Saturday Six 2.0, and Simon's lyrics!

promise
#12December 17th, 2007 · 08:40 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
(this used to be in my above post as an edit, but i wanted to bump the thread.  sorry for the double post )

k, here we go.  i actually really like the lead, despite what Denis said about simplifying it.  particularly at 0:27, with the rhythm chord changes.  Though, if there were vocals that were added to this, I could see how some simplification would be healthy for the track as a whole.

oh, forgot to mention-- i like the opening and closing noises, handling the guitar.  it made it feel more casual, which was exactly what I felt while listening to the track, for the last 3 times that it's looped :P    it sort of feels beach-ish to me.  probably the rhythm guitar.

well balanced..  i've got it EQ'd on winamp, but even with the bass and treble back down to normal offsets, it sounds great.  your rolling up and down those notes sounds great, looking past the "sloppy" element you named in your initial post.  the lead just carries really well.  i never felt like it was dragging on, or that i wanted it to switch up to get to a different part. 

any significance to the name?  I like it, but i'm not really enlightened as to what it points to as a title for the track.  *shrug* just my wandering thoughts in text.

good job   i could probably listen to it looping for a long, long time, and it wouldn't bother me at all.

tLS

.. woah. sorry.  bad Shift-ing action.  but it's funny.  i'll leave it
#13December 17th, 2007 · 09:58 PM
12 threads / 12 songs
43 posts
United States of America
Awesome!
This is so alive!  I sometimes feel that with instrumentals , especially guitar, that the music can get into such a rut and sounds sterilized for lack of a better term.  Or it sounds over done with too many effects and lacks emotion.  Not at all with this piece it grabs my attention carries me all the way through.  Real music!  I envy your skills!
#14December 18th, 2007 · 12:11 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Devo: Thanks man!  I definitely see the Jack Johnson vibe in a lot of my music, but if I'm honest, I barely listen to his stuff.  There's a lot more Ben Harper and Bob Marley, but that's where Johnson got his kicks, right ?

newbreed: I appreciate the comments.  When I recorded this, I recorded in order of rhythm guitar, bass-line and finally lead.  When I was recording the rhythm, I didn't have a predisposed structure in mind.  When I record, I have my back to my computer, and so I can't really see the time, nor do I have a good judgment of it when I get "in the zone".  I just stopped strumming when I felt it was going to get boring.  By the time I had the bass-line recorded, the base phrases of each section of the lead were already in my head.  It has always been important to me to keep instrumentals interesting and stop them just before that dies, and I am glad to see I pulled it of even in this spur-of-the-moment jam.  Thanks, I appreciate it.

TLS: Great exhaustive review, by the way, thanks!  No issues about the double post, I'm guilty of it many times over.  I understand why Denis would have opened the lead track up a little, but I guess that's personal differences.  If this were longer by a minute or so, there would be more silence.  But I had only a bit of time, and I tried to cram as much fun into the time I had allocated to me.  It's different to how I would solo for 8 bars in a normal song, too, where I'm not playing the focal part of the track (says the vocalist in me ).

Glad the track balanced well through a wide variety of speakers, EQ'd or not.  I listen to all my music flat; I've never touched an EQ control unless I am at my parents' (the desktop I use there has bass-heavy speakers), but I listened to this (as with all my other tracks) on my external speakers (cheap, tatty ones), built-in laptop speakers (tattier) and my headphones.  With the three I usually manage to get the kind of sound I want.  This track was recorded in around 10 minutes, and mastered and FX'd in 30-45 minutes, and I am glad the time spent paid off.

The name is a lot simpler than I think you were looking for, and incidentally wrong.  While the song has no turnaround, the name refers to the second section, which changes tonally to a major rather than a minor chord.

Anyway, thanks (to you and everyone else) for the great review.  I'm glad people liked this.
#15December 18th, 2007 · 06:23 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
add me liking this, funny how the bass(guitar) sounds as a contrabass a bit
very nice guitar lead and strumming, all sounds well on my systems too
too bad it ends so quick
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 3:30 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.