#1December 6th, 2007 · 06:32 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Where Did You Go

This song is not in a battle

Some of you that have been around for awhile might remember this track I uploaded for my father. This is that same track but with the lovely Lisa Costello on the vox. His B'Day is/would be Dec.21....so this is for him.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 6th, 2007 · 07:47 PM
7 threads / 6 songs
28 posts
United States of America
Holy crap it's so eighties. I love it! Kinda sounds like the beginning of a guns and roses song.
#3December 6th, 2007 · 09:40 PM
151 threads / 150 songs
265 posts
United States of America
Excellent singing. Really like the sound of the clean guitar, excellent melody.

Needs better drums though. But drums are always the most difficult to record and if you're using a synth the hardest to make sound real.
#4December 7th, 2007 · 12:25 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Overall, this was an awesome track.  How about a breakdown?

I'll start with the negative.  The intro is underwhelming, and it's essentially the drums.  It's hard, but not impossible to make synthesized drums sound reasonable.  They are the weakest part of the entire song.  At 2:30ish there's a drum fill-in that ends with...nothing and leaves me this very nice chorused clean guitar.  That fill-in wanted more, but didn't get it.  I'd recommend some reverb on the drums, a nice vintage-style compressor, and turn down the hat and turn up the snare.  This track screams 80's and we all know what the 80's drum kit was all about.  There's some dubious choices made with panning, and the biggest gripe I had was in the chorus.  The way wide panned background vocal just didn't do it for me.

On the flip side, the melody, song structure and guitar performance were all incredible.  I loved the tone of the guitar, I especially liked the way it complimented the arpeggiated sequences very nicely.  Lisa's vocals, as usual, were magnificent.  I actually think this may be her best performance.  There's clearly a lot of emotion and feeling behind the song, and I think the song captures it beautifully.

Good stuff!
#5December 7th, 2007 · 12:42 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
ok when you get a soup, you put in vegitables and spices and meats and such. For this song, her vocals are great. They're perfect. I am sure I've said shes a super-sweet singer in ever thread I've commented on. But, step back a moment.

Give it a this a thought. When I listen to this the vocals are so pushed forward that the spices (the insturments) are dead, gone, passed up. The drums are pushed forward with the vocals and are too repetitive to compliment well. (Note, these are the opinions of a far worse musician and singer.) I perfered the majority of the vocals without tremello. I call it that because I dunno what its called when you make your voice do tremello like I do when I bend notes rapidly on my car.

There is a part where you have a heavily faded echo, or just a repeat. It sounds a little silly by itself and you never do it again. Its like a buck thirty in, "Where did you go?" Um, back to the instruments. The guitar's constant chorus really grates, tell the guitarist to kick the pedal a few times and change it up. Again, amazing vocals, but the soups ingredients don't match well.

#6December 7th, 2007 · 12:44 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
I do remember listening to this when you first recorded it Jason......I believe for your dad ...yes..for your Dad
Nice...I did a song for My Granpa once..so I know how emotional this song must be for you..
I like it....I could also hear this being a Country song also

Lisa has only made it better
not that it wasn't a good song to begin with
Avi has some good point's..he's very observative...such as your intro..I've noticed you like to do a long intro on some song's also

Merry Christamas ...Haven's seen you around much

Ralphie

Will Rate
#7December 7th, 2007 · 03:42 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Thanks
JackofHearts wrote…
Holy crap it's so eighties. I love it! Kinda sounds like the beginning of a guns and roses song.
FLYER7747 wrote…
I do remember listening to this when you first recorded it Jason......I believe for your dad ...yes..for your Dad
Nice...I did a song for My Granpa once..so I know how emotional this song must be for you..
I like it....I could also hear this being a Country song also

Lisa has only made it better
not that it wasn't a good song to begin with
Avi has some good point's..he's very observative...such as your intro..I've noticed you like to do a long intro on some song's also

Merry Christamas ...Haven's seen you around much

Ralphie

Will Rate
Theotherguy89 wrote…
Excellent singing. Really like the sound of the clean guitar, excellent melody.

Needs better drums though. But drums are always the most difficult to record and if you're using a synth the hardest to make sound real.
Dark wrote…
ok when you get a soup, you put in vegitables and spices and meats and such. For this song, her vocals are great. They're perfect. I am sure I've said shes a super-sweet singer in ever thread I've commented on. But, step back a moment.

Give it a this a thought. When I listen to this the vocals are so pushed forward that the spices (the insturments) are dead, gone, passed up. The drums are pushed forward with the vocals and are too repetitive to compliment well. (Note, these are the opinions of a far worse musician and singer.) I perfered the majority of the vocals without tremello. I call it that because I dunno what its called when you make your voice do tremello like I do when I bend notes rapidly on my car.

There is a part where you have a heavily faded echo, or just a repeat. It sounds a little silly by itself and you never do it again. Its like a buck thirty in, "Where did you go?" Um, back to the instruments. The guitar's constant chorus really grates, tell the guitarist to kick the pedal a few times and change it up. Again, amazing vocals, but the soups ingredients don't match well.

:)
avinashv wrote…
Overall, this was an awesome track.  How about a breakdown?

I'll start with the negative.  The intro is underwhelming, and it's essentially the drums.  It's hard, but not impossible to make synthesized drums sound reasonable.  They are the weakest part of the entire song.  At 2:30ish there's a drum fill-in that ends with...nothing and leaves me this very nice chorused clean guitar.  That fill-in wanted more, but didn't get it.  I'd recommend some reverb on the drums, a nice vintage-style compressor, and turn down the hat and turn up the snare.  This track screams 80's and we all know what the 80's drum kit was all about.  There's some dubious choices made with panning, and the biggest gripe I had was in the chorus.  The way wide panned background vocal just didn't do it for me.

On the flip side, the melody, song structure and guitar performance were all incredible.  I loved the tone of the guitar, I especially liked the way it complimented the arpeggiated sequences very nicely.  Lisa's vocals, as usual, were magnificent.  I actually think this may be her best performance.  There's clearly a lot of emotion and feeling behind the song, and I think the song captures it beautifully.

Good stuff!

Where to start?

Jack- I guess my age is showing then isn't it?
TheOtherGuy- programming drums and processing the sounds has always been tricky for me(I used FLSP6)
Ralph- I love Intro's....It introduces the piece and can make or a break a song....Smoke On The Water, Summer of 69...etc etc
Dark-I hear exactly what your saying, however I loved the tone and sound of the guitar with the chorus/reverb I didn't want to change it...I also wanted it to be representative of some of the emotions I was feeling...walking around lost with my head down just walking and walking and not really getting to a destination or getting any answers.
Avi- Nice review..as stated before drums are definitely my weak link..well and singing and that's why Lisa's on the track.

Thanks for listening and reviewing.
#8December 7th, 2007 · 04:01 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I'm not sure I can add much more to what's been said, so I'll just reinforce certain points to what's been discussed already..

About the drums, yes.  they ought to be a bit stronger, but I can't really call you out on it, because I don't put drums to my songs at all for the very reason that you've mentioned... that it's tricky and (as avi said) it's hard (though not impossible, mind you).  Honestly (don't shoot me, anybody) I'm not a huge fan of music that goes back before the mid 90's... it's just my personality.  Stuff older than that just doens't get my mind going.  Though, there are some exceptions to that, and I still enjoy a good song or two from older artists.  You've done a great job, here.  Despite my lack of interest for lots of 80s music, I'm complimenting you very much.  I liked the vocals that were put on the song.  I've listened to it a few times now, and I simply think that it's great.

Cheers 
TLS
#9December 8th, 2007 · 05:24 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
lovely vox!!  bit loud in the mix ok

i liked that panned background vox too

drums, well, they are midi, soften the hihat would be better already, a little reverb maybe

guitar sounds sweet and full of emotion

love it, very nice job!

avi has some good points, the track deserves a perfect mix and your not so far from it
#10December 9th, 2007 · 03:54 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I really think this captured the heart felt emotion.I know what this song meant to you and I'm sure glad the you gave Lisa the opportunity to work on it.We were humbled!TX
Cheers!
#11December 9th, 2007 · 11:00 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Nice..
Interesting...   This is pretty cool, Because we have now two different female vocalists doing this tune..  As Linda did this one back in October last year...  http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/3471.html  It's neat to listen to the two of them... You will notice the emotion is very much there.. And they both came across with two different styles, yet the same emotion is felt so real...  very cool...  I credit much of this to the actual writing of the song, and the way the music plays...  Now, let me also add that Lisa's vox actually sound more like a woman singing to a husband that has gone, there is a certain maturity, and a different type of longing in the way she sings it.. whereas Linda's version has a bit of an innocent kind of child to father longing, but I believe that comes from the fact that she lost her Father at a very young age, and could identify so well with what Jason was trying to convey..

JimK
#12December 10th, 2007 · 06:02 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Thank you to everyone who took the time to listen and review......
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 1st, 2024 · 6:08 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.