1 2 3

#16November 16th, 2007 · 07:17 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
DaveUK wrote…
While I expect and appreciate criticism I'm a little dissappointed to see some pretty deep criticisms of the performance from Avi despite the fact that I explained we'd literally *learnt* the song about 5 minutes before hand...I certainly would have thought it obvious that this is not a refined and considered performance

I find this extremely surprising, especially as, by your words, "Please let us know what you think as we are tempted to perform this live".  I figured that is what I was doing.

Oh, I should clarify: I was wrong when I wrote I play finger style in the verses.  I actually flat pick the entire song (I must have been thinking of something else), and play a chunky arpeggio through the verses and open it up a little for the chorus.  Obviously everyone does it a little differently, so I'm not taking any offense that you didn't like the sound.

I'm not a huge fan of MB20's cover of the song.  I much prefer Eva Cassidy's.
#17November 16th, 2007 · 07:25 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Oh, and I'd consider tuning down a guitar for playing this live.
#18November 17th, 2007 · 04:26 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Just stopped in for another listen....I still like it...I didnt Know MB20 did a version of this..I love MB20
in my ealier post I thought you were the one singing to this Dave...James  you did a good job on the vocals I think....nice acoustics Dave

Flyer

Have already rated
#19November 17th, 2007 · 05:56 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Well I'd put our version closer to MB20 than eva cassidy

But ya appreciate the feedback just felt the tone was a ltitle strong for a confessed raw performance.

Still, I tried downturing the required amount, and within 10 minutes two of my strings have broken. And it's a pretty new set. It also sounded pretty horrible. Guess it's time for a capo and a new set of strings
#20November 17th, 2007 · 08:58 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
DaveUK wrote…
But ya appreciate the feedback just felt the tone was a ltitle strong for a confessed raw performance.

Well, I'd have hoped you realize "tone" has nothing to do with my critiques; I try to pass on whatever I can think of.  Hopefully in the future you won't jump the gun and assume I am being harsh.

DaveUK wrote…
Still, I tried downturing the required amount, and within 10 minutes two of my strings have broken. And it's a pretty new set. It also sounded pretty horrible. Guess it's time for a capo and a new set of strings :)

I'm really interested to know what you are doing to your guitar to break strings after downtuning!!
#21November 18th, 2007 · 01:31 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
I've no idea, they just broke shortly after. I think it's because they were settled at a particular tension, and the custom light guage high end strings just had a little too much travel following the downtune, which caused them to snap.
#22November 18th, 2007 · 10:49 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
That's never happened to me.  I alternate between standard and some tuning once a month or so, and have never snapped a string doing that in the last 5 years.  It's gotta be something with those Elixirs.
#23November 19th, 2007 · 06:13 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
whatever, you two.  no biggie, in my opinion.  strings break.  AVI, i didn't feel like DaveUK jumped any gun as I read this thread (my internet has been down for the last few days, i missed the real-time discussion).  It's not my discussion, but hey--- that's my opinion about the matter.  about MB20's cover... I also thought it was pretty good.  Not quite like the female voice, but i think they've done a good job.

on that note about MB20 and male voices, i for one like the sound of Jame's voice over this, particularly when his projection shows through more.  if i lived in europe and not the US, i'd come to your show, DaveUK   hahaha..  maybe one day!

I think that you're experiment, the live recording on a newly learned song, is completely cool, and i appreciate the upload as per your desire to share something "fun" with us!  It lets us see the real ampers out there, and not just the refined effects software!  Aside from MSR's I Broke BandAMP song, and Dark's lol song, I can't htink of anything truely "fun" and "spur of the moment".  Thank you!

TLS
#24November 21st, 2007 · 05:20 AM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
Aw I love this song!

I love accoustic covers.

I think what you've done heres great, but with this guys voice, I'd like to here a punky/ska version too!
#25November 21st, 2007 · 06:01 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
whats "MSR's I broke bandamp", i tried to find it, but who's MSR? mmmm

oh yeah, great song and great cover. keep it up, i think it should be a good one for a live show.

Ian
#26November 21st, 2007 · 03:26 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
SirBorris wrote…
whats "MSR's I broke bandamp", i tried to find it, but who's MSR?

"mountsaintrobbie"--- sorry, it crossed my mind that not everybody might know him by that abbreviation yet.

here it is.
#27November 21st, 2007 · 04:23 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
TonightsLastSong wrote…
whatever, you two.  no biggie, in my opinion.  strings break.

Not like that for me.  This is reason enough for me never to buy Elixirs.  I now know something that I didn't.

TonightsLastSong wrote…
AVI, i didn't feel like DaveUK jumped any gun as I read this thread (my internet has been down for the last few days, i missed the real-time discussion).

I was done with this, and honestly, I wasn't upset.  I used a figure of speech which I maintain was valid, but I really don't care about this anymore.  I'm finding less and less people are taking my critiques as well as I'd like; I don't feel I am being overly harsh, and I am trying to help, but I've decided to tone down the amount of..."information" I dole out.  Hey, less work for me; it could shave critique times down to under 10 minutes a piece now.

And Dave, just in case it didn't make it clearly enough: I wasn't trying to insult you, and while I am in no way apologetic for anything I said, I hope you realize that everything was meant to help you.  No hard feelings, I hope.
#28November 21st, 2007 · 05:47 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
avinashv wrote…
TonightsLastSong wrote…
whatever, you two.  no biggie, in my opinion.  strings break.

Not like that for me. ...

well, I maintain my point of view too If they don't break on you, then that's great, but all i actually said was "strings break" which you can't possibly refute.  besides, you're the only one who's mentioning Elixirs.  even if he is using them, at least he's got sense enough not to continue the very action that is breaking them.

avinashv wrote…
TonightsLastSong wrote…
AVI, i didn't feel like DaveUK jumped any gun as I read this thread (my internet has been down for the last few days, i missed the real-time discussion).

I was done with this, and honestly, I wasn't upset. ...

all i am implying here is that Dave said... *ahem* ...

DaveUK wrote…
please dont expect it to be perfect in a production or performance sense we just wanted to capture a sponataneous performance.

... and instantly i'm thinking to myself, "hm... okay.  i shan't listen for production kinks as much as i will look for overall structure improvement, ect."  ... and to be fair, yes, you did give him your opinion about a male voice to the originally female voice song (which happens to have a guy's voice overlayed in it...).  I think the source of dispute ought not to have even touched production quality.  i thought that he was rather clear about the way he said it, which way was ended with...

DaveUK wrote…
So, this is basically a random acoustic version of Cyndi Lauper's 'Time After Time'. Please let us know what you think as we are tempted to perform this live

Keywords being "basically, random, tempted to perform it live".  this seems to imply (to me, at least) that, again, they're looking for structural/compositional feedback.  To be fair, again, you've given them your ideas about the structure (the chords, etc), but it didn't end there.

That's all i'm saying.  i'm not really trying to push it here, but when i have thoughts, i like to express them.  i don't intend to be immature and get a "last word" in, so i hope this post isn't seen as that.  i'm just tyring to clarify where i stood on the matter.

avinashv wrote…
I'm finding less and less people are taking my critiques as well as I'd like; I don't feel I am being overly harsh, and I am trying to help

I understand what you're saying here... sadly, not everybody is looking for someone to critique them than they are looking for people to praise them.  I like the proverb... He who can distinguish between Good and Bad advice, needs no advice.  Personally, I find that you give a really good review of songs, normally, like.. when you've found one that you care about and would like to help the artist improve.  Don't quit, by all means!  I know you don't plan to just quit, as you've only said that you'll maybe cut down your time spent doing it.  Only a few really good members take the time to write really good reviews.  And hey, if you don't like the song, or the artist, or the sound or vibe of the track... then I'm fine with not reviewing it, so I can expect the same from you :P  Haha, if I remember right, you've only posted once on my songs, being the Actually 2, one.  I take no offense at this gesture of omission.  Your opinion is yours 

And that's how I'd like to leave this post...

Your opinion is yours, of course, so feel free to give it..
#29November 21st, 2007 · 07:47 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I'm chilling at a friend's place right now, so excuse me if I don't go for the hardcore quoting .

As you said, I did address everything he wanted.  The problem I see is that I went above and beyond what was expected and that seemed to be a problem.  I guess my biggest piece of advice would be to not ask for advice that contradicts the description of the performance.  Happy?

I am very confident Dave uses Elixirs, this has come up in conversation before.

"i don't intend to be immature and get a "last word" in, so i hope this post isn't seen as that"
If I am being honest, it was until there

And about the sole review I've given you: I am glad you don't feel the need to have this explained to you, but for me: you're just a victim of bad timing.
#30November 22nd, 2007 · 04:10 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Hmm it appears this is getting a little bit indepth for my liking.

Perhaps this is the curse of the written word, but I simply felt that the way your critique was worded Avi was a little patronising, given that I had already stated for myself that this was a very raw, early-stage performance. In particular I felt that your statement about this song only being appropriate for a female vocalist was counterproductive to the point of ridiculous, and not very helpful to James at all.

In all, I do enjoy and respect the reviews of you and everyone on bandamp, and I appreciate the feedback. However I do think that there is a tendency for some individuals to make comments without always taking the performance into context.

Anyway, thankyou both for your interest and I hope we can all get along and continue to contribute to bandamp because I respect hugely the contributions that you both make. Thanks to TLS and others for their support of our enjoyment of making music

Also, that is the first time Elixirs have broken on me like that - purely because they were downtuned considerably for custom light guage strings - and I was probably playing them too hard hence my comment about the degree of travel. I have used elixirs for some time - the phosphour bronze sound great on my acoustic - and they last much longer than other strings for me because i have v acidic hands. I'm not an Elixir sales rep so I really couldn't care less if other players prefer other strings - heck I love D'addarios and Martin acoustic strings - they just tend to get corroded pretty quickly for me even if I keep them cleaned.
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 12:37 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.