1 2 3

#1November 15th, 2007 · 05:20 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Time After Time Cover

This song is not in a battle

Hi all

Today me and James decided to do a random song. This was recorded approximately 3 minutes after we actually learned this song, so please dont expect it to be perfect in a production or performance sense we just wanted to capture a sponataneous performance.

It was also recorded in one take entirely, and is not multitracked. I've mastered it a little with a bit of compression and reverb but there are absolutely no effects or eq or compression on the separate elements at mixdown becuase they were recorded together. Just two mics into a mixer and recorded.

So, this is basically a random acoustic version of Cyndi Lauper's 'Time After Time'. Please let us know what you think as we are tempted to perform this live

Thanks all

Dave and James

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 15th, 2007 · 06:01 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Reviewing as I listen.
The recording quality is great both in the guitar and voice.The actual voice is really good,strong in projection and range.The dynamics on both the guitar and vox would be the things it would polish a bit for better build although the vox range helps a lot with this.I would love to hear the song start slower in tempo and more lay back then build to speed as it moves forward to where the vocal hits the higher notes.But I would hold the highest note on the vocal for the second turn around as I think the build should drop to a more soothing whisperingly feel again before that second turn around,and then build to the strongest point of vocal range and projection.only because is an acoustic version so I'm feeling the organic thing here so balance is good!
Anyway loved regardless and great take on this track!
The mix is exceptional!
M.
#3November 15th, 2007 · 06:45 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
very clean recording....This is just about your best track...your vocals are really good here...the acoustic sounds clean and your playing is tight...
Im going to add this to my playlist  and download it Dave...I really like this one....very good...... I cant believe this is a one track deal

Flyer

will rate
#4November 15th, 2007 · 07:03 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
hi thanks both for your comments... im glad you like the playing and recording, and I agree that James vocals are really good so hopefully this feedback will help boost his confidence!

we will polish up the performance and structure and look to perform this live
#5November 15th, 2007 · 08:22 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Well, I first didn't like the chords you used here... sometimes it feels as if it were another chords that what it should be, an, OK, that's good sometimes, but I think it didn't work here.
Anyway, the recording was pretty good for being just one take and track.

> Iszil
#6November 15th, 2007 · 11:15 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I love this song---I have lost count of the number of times I have played this at gigs.

Firstly, the recording quality is stellar, as usual for you.  And as usual for me, I again dislike the very trebley tone of the guitar.  I think in an acoustic cover like this, you need to compensate and fatten the tone up.  The track is too empty.  It could have used some vocal harmonies to add some more dynamism.

The arrangement is something I feel I can comment well on: I've only ever performed this with a guitar and vocals.  It has always been with a female vocalist, and I think that is important for the track.  Nothing against the guy who sang with you, but I think the track perfectly and only fits a female vocalist.  The chord progression and strumming seem stunted and there are a few iffy chord selections made.  When I play it, I alternate between a finger-picked verse and an embellished strummed chorus.  Some of the vocals could use a bit more embellishment---get your singer to hold a few more notes and take a few more liberties with his voice.  It sounds like he has a solid voice that is being slightly held back.

I'm not trying to be too harsh, just giving you what I feel is well-meaning criticism.  You're usually pretty good with how you handle my criticism, so I hope you realize that I still do like the track, I just feel it has a lot of potential.

Oh, and definitely, play this live.  I can attest to how fun it is, and everybody I've played for loves the song.  I would suggest asking your singer to tap on a tambourine or a shaker or something.  It's something I never did until one gig where some drunk guy pulled a tambourine out and started tapping it.  I still don't know where he got it, because I don't own one .

Again, I do like the track, but I really think you guys can own this.
#7November 15th, 2007 · 11:41 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
The more Commnents that I read from Marino and Avi....The More I relize how little I really know....you two hear and know things that don't even enter into my mind...I learn a lot from your comments...Avi,Marino

Flyer
#8November 16th, 2007 · 12:17 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
I agree..
Now let me tell you what I agree on...

I agree with Avi that you guys really can own this.. I also think you kind of do...

I agree with Marino and Avi that the mix and such is awesome... really... 

And I agree with Iszil when he said it sounded good too..I wonder if Isz has heard the original of this, probably not, but if he did, then he would not think so much about the sound of the chords, they fit the mood well, and are played well...

Thanks for this guys, I like this song..

JimK
#9November 16th, 2007 · 05:39 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Good show ! Very good show, both of you.
avi : James does have a high 'young' voice so to my ear it sound like a fair rendition.
And fair does to James he's working that voice of his really well.
As you guys play this more often James will get his breathing right and hit even those high notes with enough strength to carry them.
I'll agree in that the sound is not 'radio' quality and 'more' could be added, but for two guys a guitar and some recording equipment this is excellent! 
#10November 16th, 2007 · 08:47 AM
8 threads / 7 songs
83 posts
Venezuela
Nice, though i don't know the original. Recording is really good, nice master, simple but effective. Great work.
#11November 16th, 2007 · 01:30 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nothing wrong with what you have here so far, you will obvoiusly get better at perfoming it with practice, it's great what you have done in your first attempt!!

What's your band set up, if it's a duo, it would be great if you could harmonise in some parts.

Great performance from both of you. WELL DONE!!!

Yes, you must perform this live

Cheers

Denis
#12November 16th, 2007 · 01:50 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Hi all, thanks for your comments!

I agree James is really coming on with the confidence in his vocals and the sustain and power will improve with practise. This was recorded the first time we even jammed the song!

Yes I think Denis really hit it on the head. While I expect and appreciate criticism I'm a little dissappointed to see some pretty deep criticisms of the performance from Avi despite the fact that I explained we'd literally *learnt* the song about 5 minutes before hand, and this was recorded for a bit of fun I thought I would share I certainly would have thought it obvious that this is not a refined and considered performance but I do appreciate the feedback...

The comment about 'trebly' sound is actually because this was recorded with a Capo on the *eighth* fret, otherwise I'd have needed to downtune my guitar by two tones which I really couldn't be bothered to do. This brought the track to James' range and is exactly why the guitar sounds a little unbassy - it is recorded high up the neck.

As for dodgy chords (Is/Avi) this is pretty much identical to the chords used by Matchbox 20 (male vocalist) in their acoustic cover of this song (which is incidentally downtuned a step) with a few embelishments. They are mostly maj7 maj9 add11 sus2 sus4 etc etc.

Again the chord issues are most probably due to the Capo; but I would urge Is to listen to the original as the underlying chord progression in it is actually the same just a different key. It is a little unusual. Maybe I will downtune a step or two instead of using the Capo for the live version to retain a fuller sound - we'll see. I also considered doing the verses fingerstyle or plectrum arpeggio - but I thought that sounded a little naff in comparison to the original - no offense Avi :P

Thanks all and peace.
#13November 16th, 2007 · 05:41 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
its brilliant this is....i would be real pleased if i had done it... sorry i cant comment on the technical stuff. just have a good ear for a good sound..and i like it...in tune and well worked out,..will rate...x
#14November 16th, 2007 · 06:23 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Time After Time Cover
Very Nice Cover
well produced
great vocals
kerpish
fish
#15November 16th, 2007 · 06:56 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
amazing you guys!I love this song I was surprised that it was this great(no offense to you two but most people do terrible renditions)
100% doubtless and will download
you guys are really really good and I can't wait for another song form you guys(and voice,guitar and recording is unbelievable!)
cheyenne
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 9:29 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.