1 2

#1October 25th, 2007 · 08:53 AM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Can I sing? lol

This song is not in a battle

*** READ FIRST***

lol ok so I've been working on singing after recieving super bad reviews about it from another site (def not this one), and I'll now copy and paste a few of them :

(All about "The Boy on The Front Page")

Review in quotes, followed by the score they gave me.

"Vocally- I think you need a lot of work! You need to firstly pace yourself! You need to not force it out. When you are going on that "You'll wish that...." its being forced out and I know all your trying to do is devulge some emotion! You can do that without sounding bad. You also would go too low and be lost behind the music and often have many pitch problems and fall flat! Lots of work to get there but you have the potential because you wrote a beautiful song and the music itself is beautiful!" (9/10)

"More needs to be in the song to bring it to life, its empty, your not singing with all your might, more needs to be in the track to make you sound professional, this isn't professional, people want to hear good quality music, not music they cant listen to." (4/10)

"Oh Dear !!! - Did your mum tell you you could sing? Get some lessons stop making my ears bleed" (1/10)

"The vocals on this track really don't work. The music isn't too bad but the lyrics and singers voice aren't of a quality that could be sold to anyone. I think that if this individual got singing lessons then he may be more successful." (1/10)

"I think that this is ok" (6/10)

"This track has an excellently arranged soundtrack, but the vocals are highly unappealing. The volume level goes up and down in the vocal tone, and this doesn't help much. I don't see this going very far..." (4/10)

"this track could use alot of work on the vocals on this track. the lyrics are good though and the instrumentals have great dyanmics keep it up." (6/10)

"this was a pretty original song, quite creative and also the performed by the group. i liked the piano in this, although the vocals werent as good as the rest of the tune." (7/10)

Overall, after all of those comments, I decided to let my singing out a bit more, and I decided to stand up when I'm singing! I can't believe all of my previous songs I did sitting down..

Hmm.

Anyway, all comments and criticism welcome .

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 25th, 2007 · 10:13 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
haha   funny you mention that you were sitting when you recorded the song the first time.  I did the same back in the day, when I posted the first version of [Actually] a few years back.  I then realized how much better a voice could be if you stand up and just let it out!  And, on that note, I think that this post of your lyrics done over again shows a significant improvement.  I'd love to hear the song rerecorded with this kind of vocal on it.

which other music website do you use?  Just curious.  Sounds like a few of those users were kind of rough, without being helpful!  You have a voice that reminds me of somebody... I can't think of who, but its a good thing.  One thing I've been learning over the last few years is the importance of expression and character in a songs vocals... as much as I'd like everyone to look past the imperfections in the vocals I do and see the lyrics for what they really mean, people don't     So, it's important to do your best on the way the vocals sound-- not just to make people like it better, but to make a nice "vehicle" for your lyrics to punch through those speakers to the audience so that they really can feel those lyrics and what they mean.

Anway.. I'm looking forward to hearing how this whole standing up thing works for you in your songs    It's helped me!

Later,
TLS
#3October 25th, 2007 · 10:18 AM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for that TLS it was really helpful .

The website is:

www.slicethepie.com

You basically get paid £0.05 to review a song (probably why they are so bad), and then that can go up to £0.25 a song when you review more. Also artists have the chance to get recognised so I'd recommend you signing up, not for review and criticism purposes, but just to see how far you can get!
#4October 25th, 2007 · 01:13 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Yes lol
#5October 25th, 2007 · 03:20 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
That was good, but then again it wasn't, it could have been better but then again every thing can always be better !! 
Good show old chap! Let it rip! Smiling helps too so they tell me 

You've been practising at least, I'm also listening to The Boy on The Front Page
You don't sound half as flat now.
You know shouting also helps, if only to find the limits of your throat, really let it rip and have fun doing so, you have to find your own open space or padded cell though! lol
#6October 25th, 2007 · 10:50 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
yes... i concur.  ..about the shouting thing.  sometimes that means you have to suffer some harsh critisms in order to get better, but that's life    We're all better in the end.

Go now, into the world and do your thing!

(thanks for the slicethepie link!)
#7October 26th, 2007 · 12:06 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
My you have a lot of balls uploading your vox without any effects.

Great post.

I listened to the link kings put up too.

Man you have such a great sence of humourr and so much balls, channel this energy and you'll be a superstar!!!

Have you tried to sing in a higher key???

Denis
#8October 26th, 2007 · 12:09 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Humour?

I wasn't trying to be funny 

Dunno what you mean by that.

But I can't really sing any higher than that. I'll try though.
#9October 26th, 2007 · 02:15 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
got several people listening here..
they all say you sound a touch like placebo! this is meant to be a compliment btw.. i like your voice....well done..x
#10May 25th, 2008 · 02:45 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
10 posts
United Kingdom
LOL
It r gud, could do with a bit less noncyness though mate.

I'm a singer and I can say that it is good (intune emotional and pretty facking sweet!)

I r liking it!!
#11May 25th, 2008 · 02:47 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks means a lot coming from you! haha

"noncyness"

want me to sound a bit more hard innit?
#12May 25th, 2008 · 07:07 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
keep at it.. it's like anything else . the more you do it the better you'll get, you'll get your own style and things that work for you. Put you in a good studio, with a decent producer and engineer and you would sound great. 

I would work on pitch,  according to Mutt Lang, that is the biggest problem with singers.   They can have great tone but if it is off in pitch it won't sound right....  Try singing some major and minor scales and work on singing some intervals 3rd's 5th's, octaves  you should practice all of them though.
#13May 25th, 2008 · 07:11 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Alright thanks.

Also has anyone got any tips for improving range?

I think I'm only at like 1.5 octaves ish lol.
#14May 25th, 2008 · 07:25 PM
373 posts
China
Quit the boozing and smoking or you'll end up like Tom Waits... Which can be an ok thing... I like Waits...
#15May 25th, 2008 · 07:39 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
That was a bit random.

I don't smoke or drink lol.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 5:01 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.