1 2 3

#16May 27th, 2007 · 06:03 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Re post
Great song and great arrrengement.Vocals are exellent.Very layed back in feel.Still find it lacking a bit of clarity.But awesome work for sure!!
#17May 28th, 2007 · 12:28 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
wow great song awsome recording
this is extremely tight and clean. I love the bass line and the clean guitar. piano is right on and the vocal layers are very steely dan/ little river band/ chicago stuff.  How did you record this ? was this done at home on a pc ? What did you record thru  if you don't mind me asking cause I've been trying to get this smooth analog sounding vocals in digital and just haven't figured it out yet.  

I give this top vote for the writing/ playing/ and recording/production.
#18May 28th, 2007 · 02:37 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
re: wow great song awsome recording
toastedgoat wrote…
How did you record this ? was this done at home on a pc ? What did you record thru  if you don't mind me asking cause I've been trying to get this smooth analog sounding vocals in digital and just haven't figured it out yet.

use a good microphone, good microphone preamp(s) and a good recording interface. i use a Sure Beta 58A.
#19May 29th, 2007 · 11:43 AM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
It does remind of Chicago, but that's a great complement, I reckon.

Good:
Excellent, beautiful composition
Great instrumentation
Singing is just great
Beautiful harmonies on the chorus.
Well structures (see the BAD part)

Not so good:
The volume of mix is a bit low
Needs a bridge or a middle 8, or sth else that will use a similar but different structure of the chords so that there is a small island on the sea of music you can climb to get some rest while floating on water. By sea, of course, I understand this song.

All in all, to quote you: This is some great sh*t, man. Thanks for posting. How about another one soon, hmm?
#20May 29th, 2007 · 05:31 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Agree with JBP about the volume of the mix being a bit low; perhaps he's also right about it benefiting from a bridge, although I'm not so convinced about that.
There's some dynamics missing in this song I think, with some of the instruments and indeed vocals missing the punch that I believe would brighten the whole piece up and make it truly awesome.

So, that's it for the negative -
For everything else - so instrumental selection and sounds, playing, and the vocals, it's truly superb!

I think you sold yourself short when you said that the vocals were recorded using a decent mic and pre-amp; if that were the case then all vocals would sound this good when this combination was used... they don't!

I look forward to the final version of this
#21June 1st, 2007 · 11:02 AM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Ok, Im gonna use a term that you used for one of my tracks "BORING".  The quality is nice!  The music itself sounds like a cross between "Jars Of Clay" and jazz.   Not my bag, Im sure you know, but overall quality is obvious.  Im hearing alot of retro sounding stuff lately?  Are we having a revolution that Im not aware of?
#22June 5th, 2007 · 06:28 PM
48 threads / 7 songs
429 posts
United States of America
wow this is great really pro sounding i love the vox in this. and the cords are beautiful. wow. the lyrics are well writtin i have no complaints here, high vote and i'll keep my fingers crossed for you in the battle
#23June 5th, 2007 · 08:11 PM
12 threads / 11 songs
61 posts
United States of America
Hey Entheon,

I like this song a lot - the vocal overdubs are really nice.  Very smooth and chilled out.  Keep it up (like you need me to tell you to...)
#24June 6th, 2007 · 08:16 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
bridges make trouble over water
As for the bridge: maybe, but I'm also not so convinced. I write my songs with a fair amount of deliberation, this is a newer song of mine in the grand scheme of the many years that I've been writing songs for. I didn't feel that this song could really benefit from a bridge. In my world if a song needs a bridge it's usually obvious to me, but at the same time, exactly where to put said bridge becomes a difficult task and is tantamount to doing a full song revision.

Some of my songs have many parts, some have a single part. This is intended to be a more simplistic variety of song, and in favor of getting the essence of the basic song expressed and in favor of expedience, i decided not to muck about with my song structure and stick with the basic AAB style structure.

One issue I face is that I don't and can't ever consider any of my songs complete, ever, because live I will play a song 5 different ways, however when recording a song, especially when performances have to be given rather than notes programmed, song structure becomes a big issue and a simplistic song structure allows more focus to be put into coaxing a good performance out of my fingers and vocal chords. The way I see it, I will worry about adding bridges and interludes and solos when I find a set of musicians with whom I feel comfortable pursuing a band-like relationship with. At the moment I am flying solo, so I keep it simple.

A major issue I've faced in the programmed/sequenced music world is the fact that with real live musicians I can just literally tell them in plain english what I want to do and we can all do it and it just works. With a computer this is much more difficult for a lot of things and it's much more expensive from a time perspective to try out different bridges and choruses and alternate structurings.

So, for those of you who may come to me and say "hey this could use a bridge" or "hey this could use a solo" my inevitable answer will most likely be "I know, would you like to spend the time to write said bridge or expand the structure to fit a solo?"

When I've asked myself that question during the recording process the answer is usually "No." In favor of just getting the recording done and trying to make the overall piece sound good.

As for the sound being muffled or dull, I am planning on remixing and remastering yet again fairly soon and I hope to correct the volume issues.

as for the "boring" comment. well. i dunno. What "is your bag" and what "is not your bag" I think is a much better and more fair description than "boring." I think the song has about everything that it could have to keep it from being boring. Funky beat, funky bass, layered vocals, meaningful lyrics, and two pretty decent solos. What more could it have to make it less "boring" (aside from a bridge which I already addressed above)? That's a rhetorical question.

I think if I remix and remaster so that it's not as muffled for those of you used to a different aesthetic in your EQ levels then it'll perhaps be less "boring." I personally prefer a more even EQ cuve and I think most people are used to songs mastered with a giant load of highs and mid-highs added. Though given that this song is about high things, maybe it's apt that i boost the highs on my EQ
#25June 7th, 2007 · 01:27 AM
3 threads / 3 songs
11 posts
United States of America
i can dig it........its well composed nice vocals not overbearing  sounds like something i'd hear at the store or sumthing ...well bro nice job
#26June 13th, 2007 · 02:00 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
ack!
well, i guess i'll go start trying to sell my music to supermarkets 

(that was sarcasm)

glad you like it though
#27June 17th, 2007 · 09:54 PM
4 threads / 4 songs
145 posts
United States of America
I love a good mellow tune that lets you just sit back as it washes over you. Favorite part is the piano solo! 
#28June 18th, 2007 · 03:28 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
thanks
that's exactly what I was going for. I'm rather proud of my piano solo as well.
#29June 20th, 2007 · 02:26 PM
23 threads / 20 songs
235 posts
Canada
seems to be skipping
Was skipping for me when i played it
#30June 21st, 2007 · 12:58 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
plays fine for me. maybe it's your net connection or computer being slow?
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 12:22 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.