#1February 21st, 2007 · 07:29 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Stumbling Blocks take 3

This song is not in a battle

Ok...  If you read the Gear forum, you saw my post about my new guitar, if not it's here:
http://forum.bandamp.com/Gear_Talk/44935.html "> http://forum.bandamp.com/Gear_Talk/44935.html

ok..  Anyway, Playing around with it, I came up with this idea.. it needs some polishing, but I think it's coming along nicely....

What do you think?  Let me know... thanks...
FLYER7747 wrote…
The begining reminds me a of a Rolling Stones tune, Jim...I just cant think of what song...this is nice so far...sounds good... more work to do though.....Man,get this song to a final cut, Jim....put some sweet lyrics to it

Flyer :D
BackwardsHat wrote…
Can't wait to here the final song Sounds great so far.
toastedgoat wrote…
I really like the sound of that 12 string,  I liked your singing on this, but (and this has nothing to do with the musical parts) imho the EQ on your vocals is to boomy in the low end (could be just my monitors even though I just put in bass traps).  Because of the boomy sound in the voice it was hard to distinguish the words at times. 

As far as the song goes i think it's great.

Ok... So I polished it up a bit... and tossed on some vocals...  What do ya think now?

JimK

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 21st, 2007 · 08:20 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Wow Jim this sounds beautiful.The guitar melody is awesome.The vox and the effect are great.It's also a very nice mix.Awesome job
Nice vote from me!!!
#3February 21st, 2007 · 09:48 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Hey!
Thanks!
  Wonderful Compliments...  I love how the guitar came out...  I am still very critical of my own vocals.. but the guitar sounds lovely..  I tried to incorporate some "stumbling" into the guitar part, to really emphasize the stumbling blocks reference..  Most of my songs are inspired by my loving wife Linda..  Without her, I would still be stumbling around, instead with her, I am able to see them as stepping stones... 

JimK
#4February 21st, 2007 · 09:50 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
There are, I believe organizations that run Zeppelin re-hab programs!
I'll have to find my old link! 

I'd LOVE to hear this piece as a full on pro production, that would be totally awesome!
You know strings, moods, echos, the same thing but flowing and even deeper.
Really like your song Jim.
#5February 21st, 2007 · 04:54 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Stumbling Blocks take 3
The guitar sounds great, I prefer the vocals with just a little reverb. You may need to re-structure the song, even play along to metronone [not sure] try it out. The impotant thing is the quality of the sound, hence I dont think you need to add too many effects to your voice.
#6February 21st, 2007 · 05:38 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re: Stumbling Blocks take 3
Denis wrote…
The guitar sounds great, I prefer the vocals with just a little reverb. You may need to re-structure the song, even play along to metronone [not sure] try it out. The impotant thing is the quality of the sound, hence I dont think you need to add too many effects to your voice.

Hey, thanks for listinin...

As for the Vox, I did the effects on purpose, to give an emotion to it.. Most of the vox have just a touch to give it a rich warm sound..  The "Stumbling Blocks" parts, I did a wide stereo pan, with a chorus effect to give it more depth, to make it almost ominous.. Larger than life..

The timing bits are "stumbles" as I stumble over these metaphorical stumbling blocks, until my Muse comes to my rescue, and helps me see that they aren't stumbling blocks, but in fact, stepping stones, that lead me to her, and will lead us together into out future.. 

JimK
#7February 21st, 2007 · 06:38 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
very cool song Jim
I like it . That new guitar is getting a work out. lol
This is good I like the whole idea of it .  Your voice is very good fits the song well.  Sometimes it's hard to get the song concepts across to people. they get so used to a generic way of listening or hearing. 
The music industry has a lot to do with that (uh oh I'm on a rant).
Anyway good job. get high vote
#8February 21st, 2007 · 08:13 PM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
Firstly, This some great singing you have in here!!! I am pleasantly surprised, I was hoping to hear that and here it is!!! Wonderful job.

Secondly, without false compliments, the guitar does sound awesome!!! However... It seems to me you used to much noise reduction of whatever it was to clean the signal up. It kind of digital now. I am right?

As for the suggestion that this sounds like some well-known song - It reminds me a bit of 'Wish you were here' by Pink Floyd but I would steer away from saying that this is plagiarism.

I love the way you did this song, Jim. I would like to hear some more instruments, but not from the very beginning. I'd leave the first part as it is, and then introduce some drums and a bass, and an additional electric guitar. But that's subjective.

Voting,
Love
Jim
#9February 23rd, 2007 · 10:54 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Very soothing
Nice guitar Jim!
Nice vocals.
Very soothing song.
Lovely

Nice

WB
#10March 4th, 2007 · 09:30 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
wow..
Thank you for such wonderful words....  BTW..  I have now been told this reminds people of Aerosmith, Pink FLoyd, Rod Stewart, Led Zepplin, The Who, and The Rolling Stones...  Hmm..  That's alot of bands.. Someone else said they heard a pinch of Bowie in there... Not sure what that means..  I detected no David Bowie whatsoever, but, then I dunno.. maybe some obscure song I never thought about crept in while I was sleeping...

JimK
#11March 5th, 2007 · 06:53 AM
8 threads / 8 songs
29 posts
Netherlands
Hi, everybody's criticall of their own voices , i know what you mean, but why so much digital blur, keep it naturally, your voice will come out much better, i love, love, love the guitar, greetz Rasarani & Krishna
#12April 22nd, 2007 · 12:40 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
lol
remember I am a 12string picker of thirty four years now...
Honestly??? the mistaken "to much noise reduction" and
effects are really just simply you getting use to a new
axe to you and therefore fighting just a little with it when
you recorded this right??  Vocals are good, no doubt... but
again you have some insecurity and doubt in yourself, right?
This is just what I heard on a first impression basis.. as I
have chosen to only listen to it the one time then give my
assessment. I can honestly say, I will be listening to it many
more times after I am done here! Because it really is good!!!
you just need to hide all of your other guitars and get on a
most intimate basis with this new box... when you feel confident
in yourself and what you are doing it really does show up strong
in your recordings.. maybe a little more then it does in other peoples!
but that is because you do have enough confidence in yourself!!!
and should have!! but just a twinge does creep out here...
 I personally can hear Floyd, Zepplin and the Who here... mostly
a dose of Floyd...
 My friend, if I am way off base here, tell me.. as I am coming
right from the hip here... no negative attempt, but only positive!!

blessings,

Danny - Blue
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 5:47 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.