1 2
#16December 14th, 2006 · 08:14 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
aetheris wrote…
wow... love the chords progression, specially on the chorus, and the melody is very nice too.  Nicely sung, there are a few issues on the recording you've already pointed out.

good luck!

Amazing sometimes what a simple capo can do when you're righting a song, seems to pull smoother chord progressions out of seemingly nothing and the song just seems to write itself.....thank you universe!

thank you very much for your feedback
#17December 14th, 2006 · 08:16 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
BasketCase wrote…
Punchbear wrote…
Kine wrote…
The only thing that's wrong with the song is the vocals...
The vocals are great, but a bit too quiet.

It's weird, I can get the levels for the guitars where I want them, but when I do the vocals I have to stand back and sing so that the vocals don't peak and distort which they always seem to do.  Happened in the studio too, whenever I sing higher, the vocals distort so I have to keep moving away from the mic and then back again.  with the mic at home I have to stand about 5 feet away and have the recording level quite low.  Any advice or tips or tricks to work around this?  It's the case with all my recordings, they sound alright but the vocals suck completely, always sit in the wrong place in the mix...... :(

You say the recording level is low but is your input level maxed out? That's usually where I run into problems,I have the recording level decent but the input level too high and as you know major distortion and peaking. Would really be a good idea to get the vox up, then your daughter will be able to hear what a beautiful song her loving father wrote for her. ;)

Her english is pretty good so I guess she'd understand the gist of it but maybe it's something she can keep forever
#18December 14th, 2006 · 08:18 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
WritersBlock wrote…
What I like about this song, is that the vocals are great, really soulful singing, I admire your style, the song really comes together in a warm heartfelt way. It's a cool song!  ;)

Cheers a million Writers, now if only those dang producers got back to me then I could get it recorded in a studio with a more lush production....that'd be sweetness incarnate
#19December 14th, 2006 · 08:28 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Geo wrote…
Good song really mate.
done in five mins eh? it's composition in real time, because it's almost the lenght of the song.
Just the vocals are a tad low and soft, not the singing only the mixing

Swear to god, 5 minutes, just lashed the capo on and started messing around with an Everlong-ish chord and then it just sort of wrote itself, all the changes just seemed to flow, and luckily I was recording while I was playing so I had the barebones already to play with. 

I think they're that low (the vocals) because I do all the guitar effects in GarageBand and the vocals in Logic, so I bounce an mix aiff out of GB and lay it on one track in Logic and then eq it and compress it and do separate vocal tracks and layer them from there.  If I bump the vocals up in Logic, they always seem to distort, so I reverb and soft eq the hell out of them and try to increase their presence in the mix by layering them, watching for peaks in the output track and automating the vocal levels to avoid peaking.  Then I bounce it as an mp3 and the vocals always seem to come out the lowest in the mix.  Any advice from your good self or other Ampers on mixing would be sorely appreciated.
#20December 15th, 2006 · 09:17 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
33 posts
Canada
Funny how you can work on a song for days, and come out with something mediocre, but something that is written in five minutes will be amazing. This is the first song I have heard of yours so far I think, and this is a great introduction. I don't really know what to say, this is just a really wicked song.
#21December 15th, 2006 · 09:27 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
coade wrote…
Funny how you can work on a song for days, and come out with something mediocre, but something that is written in five minutes will be amazing. This is the first song I have heard of yours so far I think, and this is a great introduction. I don't really know what to say, this is just a really wicked song.

Tell me about, sometimes you can really kill a song by doing to much to it when it just needs to flow.  I think this is the happiest I've been with a song I've written, cept for a little bit after the second verse when it changes, that could be more fluid.  And maybe that change should become more of a signature in the song, more like a chorus than a change.  But then again, like you say, I should just leave it as it is

Cheers for your comment, it's a massive compliment
#22December 15th, 2006 · 09:32 AM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
This is beautiful. The first two lines are lovely.
The song reminds me a lot of Snow Patrol.
I'd like the vocals to be brought forward a bit.
I love the 'Just for you' repeated bit, awww its so sweet!
How olds your daughter?
#23December 23rd, 2006 · 01:26 AM
4 threads / 3 songs
11 posts
Belarus
Family means the world
I was impressed by the inspiration of the song, the story behind the song. about your daughter. Thats as beautiful as the song.  The lyrics say it all.
#24March 23rd, 2007 · 06:37 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
PorcelainDoll wrote…
This is beautiful. The first two lines are lovely.
The song reminds me a lot of Snow Patrol.
I'd like the vocals to be brought forward a bit.
I love the 'Just for you' repeated bit, awww its so sweet!
How olds your daughter?

Cheers for that PD

Like I said, that Lightfoot fellas been a bit lightfingered with my tunes for years
#25March 23rd, 2007 · 06:39 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
re: Family means the world
BTSmusic wrote…
I was impressed by the inspiration of the song, the story behind the song. about your daughter. Thats as beautiful as the song.  The lyrics say it all.

Thanks BT, couldn't ask for better inspiration for a tune
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 3:33 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.