#1October 8th, 2006 · 04:35 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
In a Sleepless Hour

This song is not in a battle

Testing my live rig here, doing a song I wrote in 1994.

After a few test runs over the past few weeks, I decided to start rehearsing for real and this is the first song I recorded with this live setup. Everything you hear is done in 1 take - this is me, doing 1 take, like I would do it live, on my own, with no additional band members that is. No overdubs, no post-editing, this was recorded front to end in the exact 5 m. 36 sec. it lasts.

Please tell me whether this holds any ground or should I abandon this idea of going live, alone, with a loop station and a sequencer? Really, finding the right band members won't work so it's this or it's nothing at all.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 8th, 2006 · 05:21 PM
28 threads / 28 songs
95 posts
United States of America
Very cool. I really like the progression. Sounds a little robotic which is not a bad thing. Reminds me of heavy german techno. Cool, very well done.
#3October 9th, 2006 · 01:26 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
yeah thanks, I'm glad to hear it works for ya. robotic thats what you get if you need to manually shift between sequencer patterns, play and record live loops and mute parts in between.. and sing, too. it sounds nothing like the original though, I like the original better. seems I'm gonna have to revise the way this is going, .. I could use some more members providing feedback
#4October 9th, 2006 · 01:47 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
synths
hey pup, i didn't review songs early, but I found this and i can't resist to do it.

I can hear the objective of the song from the title, is an angry song. the guitar and drums do this part BUT i think the Synths are not in the same way. sorry pup, is so high, like a tiny keyboard.

just my opinion,

Dodo
#5October 9th, 2006 · 03:06 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
hi pup
deep sounds again
light drums
reminds me of 'dont u love me baby'
clean sounds excellent recording quality
viva the 80s

splash the fish
#6October 10th, 2006 · 01:54 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: synths
dodosito wrote…
hey pup, i didn't review songs early, but I found this and i can't resist to do it.

I can hear the objective of the song from the title, is an angry song. the guitar and drums do this part BUT i think the Synths are not in the same way. sorry pup, is so high, like a tiny keyboard.

just my opinion,

Dodo

Ok thanks,

Yeah - the thin sounding synths you say? I need a clear contrast, every instrument to be clearly distinguishable. I can make them blend in more with the guitar sounds but it will sound muddled, rather have this robotic syntheticness to them instead. Uh, I only have 5 monophonic synth parts at my disposal anyway with this rig, using a Korg EMX.

However, thanks for your honest opinions, it's much appreciated
#7October 10th, 2006 · 02:50 AM
6 threads
138 posts
India
i like the song and the vocals to it. live on you own is a great idea but i kinda feel that the whole thing is a bit compressed, in the sense that it all feels like its pushed down to fit into a box. i guess its as dodo said its got to do with the synth. just wish it were a little more open, distinct but hey that's what i feel don't know if it was meant to be like that.

you should go live on your own, i don't have the guts to do that.
#8October 10th, 2006 · 02:14 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
cant wait to "see" you live doing this.
amazing vocals and amazing vocal effects at the end
cool lead synth panning from left to right. Guess if you'd record it in 5.1 you'd use the full range of room.
for a one-take-piece its a brilliant record.
the crowd at the end isnt in the right place (imo)

Good work for a moderator 
#9October 11th, 2006 · 06:49 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
It works! I really like the 2:50-3:19 bit...there is appeal in the discordance that you use through-out...maybe try using it a little more sparingly though, and it might be more effective.

Take it on the road...you'll have little club girlies falling at your feet with this stuff 
#10October 12th, 2006 · 02:25 AM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
re: In a Sleepless Hour
PuppetXeno wrote…
it's this or it's nothing at all.

a definite yes - go live!
i think the synth sounds just fine - i wouldn't change a thing
#11October 12th, 2006 · 09:16 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
It means a lot
Receiving these comments to this project really means a lot to me. I'm still in rehearsal stage, but growing more and more confident about doing this - getting the first few gigs won't be a problem at all. Thanks all, and cheers
#12November 23rd, 2006 · 05:20 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Hey
I thought this was an appropiate titled song for me to listen to..( I think I can hear the city breath and the falling of the leaves when they hit the ground Tonight)err this morning

nice beat...
good lyrics
Deff this holds ground T
a 1 track recording  eh?  Damn good

I like the begining a lot...I like the song in whole...very good work
I say
GO FOR IT

Flyer
#13November 23rd, 2006 · 06:38 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: Hey
FLYER7747 wrote…
I thought this was an appropiate titled song for me to listen to..( I think I can hear the city breath and the falling of the leaves when they hit the ground Tonight)err this morning

nice beat...
good lyrics
Deff this holds ground T
a 1 track recording  eh?  Damn good

I like the begining a lot...I like the song in whole...very good work
I say
GO FOR IT

Flyer

Thanks! After a few more rehearsal runs I managed to go live and it turned out sounding like this!
Very happy with it... slightly different from this first run here, but created with the same equipment and naturally, done in 1 take aswell
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 7:55 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.