1 2

#1September 21st, 2006 · 12:46 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
who's got bud 2

This song is not in a battle

Here's a song about pot that I posted a while back. I pulled it because i thought I was taking up too much room on the server. I realized what a newbie i was when i started checking out other Ampers pages and seeing twice as many songs as I had posted! So, I re-worked this with keys and a better guitar solo track. The keys give it a vaguely Steely Dan vibe which is fine by me.
The lyrics are about being high. The brilliant, fleeting insights; the the lack of motivation; the munchies.
Lemme know what you think. Especially about the bass line. I somehow lost the audio files for the bass on the bridge section but I never really liked what I had there anyway.
BTW, this is a LONG song so if you listen to the whole thing, thanks!
Oh yeah, I should mention I don't condone the use of drugs

Thanks for listening.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 21st, 2006 · 03:43 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
hey
Nice intro...Deff a Steely Dan flow..Its a good song...If you dont condone to drugs, then why post a song like this... I dont care one way or the other , if you or anyone gets high..Im just curious as to why you would  post a song about weed..but be against it?  why not change the lyrics to it to get a different direction of the song ?...nice vocals....( listening as I type, will listen to the whole version)
nice work though..this is a good recording..

Ralph_Flyer
#3September 21st, 2006 · 04:01 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Just kidding.
Whoa.
That statement was a bit of a joke. I don't actually promote getting high but I sure as shit do it now and again...
Anyway, this song is about the effects of pot on you. whether I'm for or against pot use didn't really enter into it. It's about the experience of being high, not the right or wrong. It's meant to be somewhat funny in that context.
I know it's long and i thank you for listening and giving feedback.
BTW, r u in Baltimore?
#4September 21st, 2006 · 05:50 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Perfect! Absolutely perfect!
This is exactly what I call music. Rhythm, instrumentation, vocals, mood, chords, buildup, skills, timings..... simply everything

(...and my style)

Love it. Put it in the battle
#5September 21st, 2006 · 05:56 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
forget about the bass line.

ok, it's missing at that point but it's good to hear when the bass comes back into the song. Makes a good feeling
#6September 21st, 2006 · 06:54 AM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
like the lyrics musics funky, not really my style but i still like it, productions great, love the organ in background, some really good vocals ...420
#7September 21st, 2006 · 10:57 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Thanks Devo.
I like BandAmp for the very reason that people here are willing to listen objectively to music that's "not their cup of tea" and give constructive criticism. I know your music is more electronic and dance oriented so thanks for checking it out and posting comment.

Yo TK
I agree it sounds nice when the bass pops back in but I really miss it when it drops out.
I dunno.
This is also the first loop I've ever used. I'm not really into the whole looping thing. It seems it's just as much work finding and editing loops as it is creating them from scratch assuming you've got a good pallette of samples. I'm going to try to incorporate more of them though.
#8September 21st, 2006 · 12:48 PM
25 threads / 22 songs
132 posts
Ireland
Ween
very like ween in my ears! like it though, good fun. and v well arranged.
#9September 21st, 2006 · 03:54 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Loved your solos... professional arrangements...

not my cup of tea... but may be. 
#10September 22nd, 2006 · 10:17 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Yeah but...
Hey i appreciate the comments.

But what I'd really like to know is how to finish this freaking song! it's driving me crazy. I'm not asking for a vote, I'm not putting it in a battle, I just post my songs here to get feedback to help me develop them.

It's by no means done. In fact every track but the loop is just a scratch track.

My thoughts are:
dump the organ, (It's just too Steely Dan)
put a soft but percussive synth in
possible horn section
elaborate the vocals.
Shorten it and put a less silly ending on it.

Anyone got any ideas?
#11September 25th, 2006 · 01:05 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
you asked for it ...
I like the song alot - has a very groovy feel to it...as for my suggestions...yeh - dump the organ..replace with a sparsley played upright piano in a lower octave.  The drums definately need more variety...and some splashy cymbals could nicely accentuate your chorus.  I think if you add horns..this will end up sounding very  "Tower of Power"-ish...(whic is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it)

I like the vocals and harmonies as they are - they do need to be tightened up, as they are a bit off in places.

The ending seems to long and drawn out to me...I would suggest cutting it at 5:14.

Hope this helps! 
#12September 25th, 2006 · 03:57 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
synth effects
instead of the organ, go for so some synth effects to illustrate some of the lyrics - almost cartoonish, but really very trippy when you're actually ON bud

then it doesn't matter that the song is long. be creative with samples I think... that would make things very interesting, and less (dare i say this) repetitive? it would become a real trip through time.... very laidback...

yeha it would be nice to end with the solo thingie (at 3:06-3:55) and then one more verse, and exit. animal samples. yeah. I don't know. just an idea
#13September 26th, 2006 · 01:42 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Ahh PX,
I hate to admit this but I don't have any facility with the whole sample thing. I always just play my stuff into Protools. My friend has a synth with decent sounds that I borrow once in a while when I need to play an actual keyboard part but I usually just trigger my guitar synth for strigs, sound FX, etc.

I am a freaking dinosaur!

A guy I work with has FL and digital performer and he walked me through the whole looping shit together thing but I have no personal experience on the production end of it.

I suppose it's time for me to get a program like FL and begin the process of learning yet another discipline. It took me 20 years to get to where i am on the guitar! (I'm a slow learner)

Spoon -

Yeah I think the horns are a bad idea!
The drum loop is the first I've ever used. It could stand a lot more editing. I can usually call a great drummer and get him in the studio. The new paradigm is electronic everything, apparently. Not much fun for me but very efficient.

I can arrange my ass off given the time to write a chart and assemble the players, so i guess I've got to re-wire my brain to arrange in a different context. Shit!

Btw,I was just wanking on the ending.

Thanks for listening and giving such great feedback.
#14September 27th, 2006 · 12:48 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
16 posts
United States of America
Very nice
I like it a lot. The bass sounds good, guitar intro was cool vocals are nice... The only thing I don't like is the drums.
#15September 28th, 2006 · 10:29 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
10 posts
United States of America
i really enjoyed this =) very laid back (sorta like smokin bud =P ) but its got higher vocals than im used to with this kind of song. made for a really unique sound i thott was just fantastic =)
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 7:35 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.