#1February 13th, 2010 · 04:31 PM
59 threads / 56 songs
162 posts
Netherlands
audio review in music style groups or...
I was wondering ..is it not a good idea to split the uploaded tracks in musicstylegroups? or if not possible .an option that you can see in the audio review list  what kind of style it is.

Im asking this because not everybody likes the same kind of styles,but realy wants to hear those tracks that are fit in theire musical tast.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 13th, 2010 · 06:43 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
Hummmmm...
Don't know what to make of that.  Although my personal preference is rock, I've enjoyed listening to and reviewing  all of the music in the Audio Review section from rock to club to jazz. I've even been inspired by some to record my own "club" tracks.   I think it should be left open to all genres. Perhaps it should be up to the individual artist posting their material to decide if they want to "label" their music in the description section?? 
PS This is the "Audio Review" section of the Amp.  I Think this thread belongs in "ThePit"
...SkunkApe
#3February 14th, 2010 · 05:02 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
Isn't there already a 'Genre' section???
#4February 14th, 2010 · 06:31 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
There is a Genre section under the "Browse" tab.  But who "labels" the music that goes in there?? Who says this song is rock and this song is country and this song is blues when this other song is all three. Therefore, an all genre Audio Review section is the only choice.
It looks like the "Genre" section has not been updated in a long time so it seems pretty irrelevant at this point.  There's only around 200 songs total in there and over 4600 songs posted on Band Amp so far.
#5February 14th, 2010 · 11:47 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
This subject comes up every so often.  Bandamp is about original songwriters and musicians helping each other out.  When mud turned this site over , there was much discussion about the pros and cons of  separating the  audio into specific genres... In the end I think the general consensus was to leave it as it is. 

most musicians sit around there house listening to the style of music they like.. This gives them a chance and insight into other genres,and the how to of writing songs in different styles. 

Many of the other sites split the music up and the sites tend to become disjointed. 

I know I have grown as a songwriter , recording engineer , from this site.  Getting to listen and gather information from other musicians that approach music from a slightly (or greater) approach then I do. What is the harm in that?  It opens your mind up to different things (even if it's not really your cup of tea).

Some of the collaboration music has been magic , because of the mix of different styles , blended into one song.

Of course this is really just my take on this ,, others may have a different opinion,, Mine is  if it ain't broke ,, don't fix it.
#6February 15th, 2010 · 07:34 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
ok, the genre thing... again... 

Normally you can choose the style of your music by using a mostly unknown tag of an mp3 file.
Just google "mp3 genre". Most of audio recording software which are able to export/create an mp3 support this.

By uploading your track to BandAMP it should be categorized automatically when the site's code should recognized this tag, but it doesn't. Please don't ask me where the existing genre list comes from. I really don't know it by now. The list didn't change since years.
But if I find the time it's on my ToDo list... or.... anyone !?

#7February 15th, 2010 · 06:06 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
No genres! That way you will always listen to something new that shows up in the Audio Review. Cause then people would start just visiting their genre preferences and we would have even less reviews/posts in the songs.
Plus it's really nice to read the review of someone with totally different tastes than yours in your songs.

> Iszil
#8February 16th, 2010 · 02:56 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Iszil wrote…
No genres! That way you will always listen to something new that shows up in the Audio Review. Cause then people would start just visiting their genre preferences and we would have even less reviews/posts in the songs.
Plus it's really nice to read the review of someone with totally different tastes than yours in your songs.

> Iszil

Yeah delete the genre tab, it's good to listen to all genres, for someone like me touching 50, it keeps you with it....LOL
#9April 6th, 2010 · 12:40 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I'm still for optional search by genre.. Why not? But there certainly should not be genre specific subforums.. That would be bollocks.. Audio Review is Audio Review ... On the other hand the Amp has always been intended for having your original music (regardless of genre) reviewed in a desire to improve.... And to return the favor.. The Amp is less for showcasing, but still lends itself for it...

But as long as functions aren't functioning, they might aswell not be visible to people browsing the site.
#10April 6th, 2010 · 02:17 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
#11April 6th, 2010 · 02:25 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
re: exclusive post for PX

alright fair enough.. but first off that topic is closed!

and second... THIS topic is in the Audio Review! I didnt even see that at first.... Should be moved to Tech Support, I think?

cheers!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 12:50 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.