#1February 16th, 2010 · 02:55 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Genre Fixed
Incidentally I've fixed that genre thing today.

All you have to do is to prepare your MP3 file with the genre tag.

The software you are working with should do that. Choose the proper genre and save your file. You can control it in the properties of your file. If everything is ok simply do the upload procedure to BandAMP. The genre tag is recognized automatically and BandAMP puts it in the right corner.
#2February 16th, 2010 · 03:01 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
Doesn't this sort of defeat the entire purpose of BandAmp?
#3February 16th, 2010 · 03:41 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
what do you mean? all music has different genres...it doesnt make one better than the other...its just an easy way if someone wants to search rock or techno or country or whatever.
#4February 16th, 2010 · 03:41 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
I don't think so, cause it's always been a part of the site. But it didn't work since 2006
#5February 16th, 2010 · 03:52 PM
15 threads / 8 songs
322 posts
Sweden
TheKunadiun wrote…
what do you mean? all music has different genres...it doesnt make one better than the other...its just an easy way if someone wants to search rock or techno or country or whatever.

I'm sort of just paraphrasing other members. I thought the purpose of the site was to discover new music you wouldn't usually listen to, not go to a section of the site where you can pick and choose your favorite genre and ignore everything else. But, that's just my opinion. Good job TK. Also, you're right it has been part apart of the site since 2006!
#6February 16th, 2010 · 04:08 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
well im sure people didnt even know about it as it hasnt worked for 4 years, and its just a cool little sorting option. when you go in audio review you go in completely blind as to what the heck its gonna sound like and that sort of is the spirit of the amp
#7February 17th, 2010 · 04:19 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I was one of the few who asked for 'genres' when there was a hype of ideas going on a few years ago.
I agree with both sides of the argument though, bandAmp is bandAmp and it's all indi music...yes...but, the music NEEDS to be accessible in as many different ways as possible. imho

There's only more being added every day, and there are lots of VERY good songs in the Audio Review and it needs a stir so people see whats cooking in there. 
At the moment there are over 4500 songs, that's a 7 meter long list, thats a hell of a lot of random searching to find the 'better' songs, I know that genres doesn't bring all the better songs out but having a genre like 'noodle' or 'jam' or something would at least 'weed' out the not serious songs.

I still think the Amp could do with a few more forums, on the lines of where TLS was going with his update.....there could be Albums, Genres and even a place to show off the better songs (as decided upon by voting)
#8February 17th, 2010 · 05:03 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
What would be cool -in case we go for the genre thing- is to keep this Audio Review and also have a Genre Review which contains the very same songs from the Audio Review but with sub-Reviews for each genre. If a song is not labeled with a certain genre then it will only appear in the Audio Review.
I just wonder if you can label a song that's already uploaded...

> Iszil
#9February 18th, 2010 · 06:47 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Iszil wrote…

first: who is "you"?
second: it is possible but "you" won't do that 

Maybe it helps a bit for understandings when you know that these genre tags are ignored:

$b=$b['genre'];
if($b!='Unknown' && $b!='My Stuff' && $b!='Other' && $b!='genre' && $b!='' && $b!='Japanese Tokusatsu' && $b)

Songs with that label don't have a chance to get into the genre list.
#10February 18th, 2010 · 11:26 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Iszil wrote…

first: who is "you"?
second: it is possible but "you" won't do that 

Maybe it helps a bit for understandings when you know that these genre tags are ignored:

$b=$b['genre'];
if($b!='Unknown' && $b!='My Stuff' && $b!='Other' && $b!='genre' && $b!='' && $b!='Japanese Tokusatsu' && $b)

Songs with that label don't have a chance to get into the genre list.

That "you" is a rethorical "you"; it means each of us, the members.

And I didn't get what was all that about the codes! 

> Iszil
#11February 18th, 2010 · 11:47 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
No Isz, after uploading your track there is no way to change the genre tag.
You can delete your song, while you edit the genre in your software and then upload again (since the song wasnt in a battle).

to clear the "code":

'Unknown'
'My Stuff'
'Other'
'genre'
' '       means empty
'Japanese Tokusatsu'  ( might be a joke)
'< Unknown >'

These tags are ignored. So it's recommended to put your song in a category your software offers to you

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 10:34 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.