1 2
#16March 1st, 2006 · 06:09 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
chauvette wrote…
I'm going to start a recording technique blog on here at some point. I'd like to help out anyone who wants help.

Yes, yes, and yes again.  I'm especially interested in the vocal layering that you talk about.

Oh, and it's still a great tune - not my style of music, but superbly played and recorded
#17March 1st, 2006 · 07:55 PM
15 threads / 15 songs
106 posts
United States of America
re: Recording Endeavors
chauvette wrote…
Hey all.. Thanks for all of your kind remarks!! Where have I been? Completing a full-length action/adventure movie score. Glad that's done. I respect your negative critique as well Puppet. However, in my own defense, some originals that I post may not be necessarily the kind of music I write for myself. Do you think Dianne Warren wrote tunes for artists like Aerosmith because she likes them. I dunno about that. I shop some tunes on the side for other artists that may not even be close to the stuff I do for my own soul. Pays the bills though, hence *Out With A Bang* Now...as for Art..The process is such a huge thing for me. First of all, I took a job with a major show in Vegas. Why? I don't care for 95% of the material, but it pays me to stay home all day and write. So, that was my first objective is to have secure employment that allowed lots of time for doing what I want most. Writing originals. This was the tits gig. I only work 1 1/2 hours a night 5 nights a week. the rest of the time is mine. I use it to write, and have an occasional meal. My method for writing tunes in a nutshell: I always come up with some kind of melody in the car or something, or wherever I may be at the moment. If I have some pen and paper, I just scratch out the chord changes and make little notes like *same beat as Walk This Way* or something to that nature..whatever the tune might be close to reminding me of. I have an AudioTechnica AT4050 mic set up in my room, which is real sensitive. As soon as I get back to my studio, I pick up my acoustic guitar and hammer it out on a Cubase audio track to a metronome so that I can tie it in later with bass and whaterver instruments until I dump it in the end. That track remains my scratch track till the completed tune. I always try to get some lyrics in there as well as a melody for vocals. Once I have that, I may lay down a drumkit or loop, or maybe a bass track..whatever I feel like at that time....always using the scratch as a reference. I keep piling up tracks till I get all I want in there for instruments. Then I lay down vocal parts. I always layer vocals. I learned from *Mix Magazine* how you lay down each harmony part, and double each harmony part. That's how you get the fat sound. Once all my tracks are in, I start cleaning up bad audio and editing here and there. I love using software for this. I worked a studio for a long time in the 80's and the only way I could *cut and paste* was actually splice audio tape together. This is WAY easier. Once I have everything mixed, I then export all of my tracks to 2 stereo tracks. Once that's done, I use a mastering program that brings everything up to the highest form without producing digital distortion. I prefer IK Mulimedia's T-Racks Mastering Suite for that task. Anyhow, enough rambling. I'm going to start a recording technique blog on here at some point. I'd like to help out anyone who wants help. Thanks again and happy tracking....Chauvette

Thanks Chauvette, that was enlightening. Thanks for sharing your process with us. I have a long way to go but this helps me to get closer to get the sound I want and compare my writing process with yours; not very different, which makes me feel a bit more relieved. Hope to hear more stuff from you. Cheers- AOB
#18March 1st, 2006 · 09:21 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
257 posts
Netherlands
Do you want to make originals ?yes you say so ,..i believe that ,..i also understand the dillema(because you want to earn money).
Anyway ,..shit happens and you have to deal with it!
#19March 2nd, 2006 · 11:06 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
style
chauvette wrote…
Hey all.. Thanks for all of your kind remarks!! Where have I been? Completing a full-length action/adventure movie score. Glad that's done. I respect your negative critique as well Puppet. However, in my own defense, some originals that I post may not be necessarily the kind of music I write for myself. Do you think Dianne Warren wrote tunes for artists like Aerosmith because she likes them. I dunno about that. I shop some tunes on the side for other artists that may not even be close to the stuff I do for my own soul. Pays the bills though, hence *Out With A Bang*

Yes well, I get it.... I only like Aerosmith so-so... I think there's the difference between commercial music and aesthetic music (defined as: music for the soul, not the money) and ofcourse commercial music isn't per se not suitable for the soul... It's just... well... "booo" I think this is where my personal taste isn't allowing me to enjoy this type of music.

chauvette wrote…
Now...as for Art..The process is such a huge thing for me. First of all, I took a job with a major show in Vegas. Why? I don't care for 95% of the material, but it pays me to stay home all day and write. So, that was my first objective is to have secure employment that allowed lots of time for doing what I want most. Writing originals. This was the tits gig. I only work 1 1/2 hours a night 5 nights a week. the rest of the time is mine. I use it to write, and have an occasional meal. My method for writing tunes in a nutshell: I always come up with some kind of melody in the car or something, or wherever I may be at the moment. If I have some pen and paper, I just scratch out the chord changes and make little notes like *same beat as Walk This Way* or something to that nature..whatever the tune might be close to reminding me of. I have an AudioTechnica AT4050 mic set up in my room, which is real sensitive. As soon as I get back to my studio, I pick up my acoustic guitar and hammer it out on a Cubase audio track to a metronome so that I can tie it in later with bass and whaterver instruments until I dump it in the end. That track remains my scratch track till the completed tune. I always try to get some lyrics in there as well as a melody for vocals. Once I have that, I may lay down a drumkit or loop, or maybe a bass track..whatever I feel like at that time....always using the scratch as a reference. I keep piling up tracks till I get all I want in there for instruments. Then I lay down vocal parts. I always layer vocals. I learned from *Mix Magazine* how you lay down each harmony part, and double each harmony part. That's how you get the fat sound. Once all my tracks are in, I start cleaning up bad audio and editing here and there. I love using software for this. I worked a studio for a long time in the 80's and the only way I could *cut and paste* was actually splice audio tape together. This is WAY easier. Once I have everything mixed, I then export all of my tracks to 2 stereo tracks. Once that's done, I use a mastering program that brings everything up to the highest form without producing digital distortion. I prefer IK Mulimedia's T-Racks Mastering Suite for that task. Anyhow, enough rambling. I'm going to start a recording technique blog on here at some point. I'd like to help out anyone who wants help. Thanks again and happy tracking....Chauvette

Yep, that's pretty cool you live the kind of life lots of members (including me) would love to live, but then there is again an interesting thing about music written by people who go through all the "agony" of living a dayjob life... not being on the Permanent Vacation style like you... Ofcourse I realise it can be demanding and hard work, but so is sex... I think you know what I mean - I don't like DJ's yapping on the radio either, because they have no feel for common people as they just breeze away from their own comfortable little worlds - a comfort which shall remain out of reach for the masses. So why keep rubbing it in? I'd never...

Oh well - this is just a reminder to you and others reading this, and isn't meant to attack you at all, Chauvette (if thought), I do respect you most certainly, after all you didn't get in your position by slacking around. It musta been hard work getting there anyways. I'm just taking this opportunity to say this say bc the featured blog thing still isn't up and running, and I think well, it may be worth a cent or two.

So in the end, I will not buy your album, but I wish you the best of luck with your carreer, and what movie was that you did the soundtrack to?
#20March 2nd, 2006 · 03:23 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Hey nice pop sensibility on this one. The only gripe I have, and it's tiny, is the bang on ther hook. It sort of implies a novelty song and it's way above that. your voice sounds like Roger what's his name from, Jellyfish - Excellent. I voted for you dude
#21March 2nd, 2006 · 03:27 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
just read your adventures
god i hope i go out with a bang.........sorry a splash
#22March 2nd, 2006 · 07:10 PM
14 threads / 12 songs
177 posts
United States of America
Puppet
Nah...ain't no complaints on my end. Now I realize this site isn't about past or future employment...but FYI I only want to add that I worked 15 hour days as an alarm installer, and was a director of maintenance in upstate NY at a Days Inn, as well as hundreds of other grunt jobs before I started my *permanant vacation*here in Vegas. It's what you do in your spare time that counts after work. I drenched every spare second with music. That's just me. You wanna sit down and watch football? Go for it...You wanna be a songwriter and chase a dream....live it. 
#23March 3rd, 2006 · 11:42 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
14 posts
United Kingdom
Wow
Great job! I'm new here so I don't know everyone yet but you seem to be highly respected around here and after listening to this I can see why. Good work!
#24March 7th, 2006 · 02:06 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Layering Vocals
Wow, thanks for the tips. I just figured out layering vocals on my own through many trials and errors. A recording blog would be great for referencing. Good luck with that, I'll be looking for it. And it will certainly be much appreciated coming from your experience.
Thanks
#25March 10th, 2006 · 09:37 PM
8 threads / 3 songs
102 posts
United Kingdom
More great work from Chauvette...

Swept is still my fav on this site, but this is a most excellent addition...

Promise you wont go out with a bang...

Dave
#26March 23rd, 2006 · 11:24 PM
48 threads / 7 songs
429 posts
United States of America
i must say....... that this is the first time i have heard any thing by you, (simply because I'm so new around here and have no clue what I'm doing ) but so fare i LOVE your stuff. it makes me smile. welcome back! (as i hear it, you left for quite some time)
#27November 23rd, 2006 · 07:54 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
cool
This is cool...I like the easy rock sound...this flows really well...good lyrics & Vocals...very nice mix...wish I had a studio...oh  maybe not..then Id have to hire someone to do my shopping and every day things..

very nice song
Gets a high rate from me
Flyer
#28February 22nd, 2008 · 11:31 AM
12 threads / 12 songs
89 posts
Canada
out with a bang
Great start and mix. Good vocals. Like the bang effect. Sounds nicely creative and it keeps my attention. Keep up the fun songs guys and always be yourself.......take care.....jgv
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 10:17 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.