1 2

#1February 16th, 2006 · 03:30 AM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
The Mexican
Score: 75.3%
Battle: 2006-03

PLEASE VOTE .............VOTE PLEASE.............PLEASE VOTE................................ PLEASE VOTE

This song was recorded in December 04 at a home studio. This is my attempt at a flamenco style song. The two of us didn't play to a click track and did most of this off the floor. We had a lot of fun recording this one because we didn't really have it totally written out before we record it. I liked how it turned out in the end but I would definitely change some things if I could go back. We recorded this song right before we moved to Vancouver and started a Metal band. I hope you enjoy this one. Please tell me what you honestly think because not too many people have heard any of our songs off this CD. Don't feel bad if you laugh when my voice cracks. ha ha .....enjoy!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 16th, 2006 · 06:38 PM
2 posts
Canada
re: The Mexican
Putske wrote…
This song was recorded in December 04 at a home studio. This is my attempt at a flamenco style song. The two of us didn't play to a click track and did most of this off the floor. We had a lot of fun recording this one because we didn't really have it totally written out before we record it. I liked how it turned out in the end but I would definitely change some things if I could go back. We recorded this song right before we moved to Vancouver and started a Metal band. I hope you enjoy this one. Please tell me what you honestly think because not too many people have heard any of our songs off this CD. Don't feel bad if you laugh when my voice cracks. ha ha .....enjoy!
Wow!!! I've never heard anything like it. The vocals are wicked and the guitar and drums sound awesome. What kind of gear did you use? I would love to hear more.  Keep it up Putski
#3February 16th, 2006 · 09:33 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
That one note at 12 you're out of tune. Are those real drums? They sound like it, and are also very well timed. I think at 3:12 it begins to sound a lot like Kashmir, but not enough to make it bad. Does seem to drag on a bit though....

Give my compliments to your drummer.
#4February 17th, 2006 · 12:41 AM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
Oldies324 wrote…
That one note at 12 you're out of tune. Are those real drums? They sound like it, and are also very well timed. I think at 3:12 it begins to sound a lot like Kashmir, but not enough to make it bad. Does seem to drag on a bit though....

Give my compliments to your drummer.

They are real drums.  We spent a lot of time with mixing on the drums as well. I will definitely give my drummer the compliment.Thanks
#5February 17th, 2006 · 01:38 AM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Good recording quality... Loved the arrangement... Totally.  The length was not a problem for me, as it is an abstract song, and most of the length of the song was spent establishing (or re-establishing) the theme. 

The vocals, as you mentioned, could have used another take.  I really liked what you were trying to do.  Not many bands, short of maybe Nirvana or Filter, can pull of the whole "melodic screaming" thing to my ears' satisfaction.  But - from what I heard here - I think you've got it in you somewhere.  

Very well written.  Very well recorded.  Very well played.  Thanks!
#6February 17th, 2006 · 11:32 AM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
lol... I liked your song but just keep asking myself what's so mexican about it  'cause as far as I know flamenco is from spain...

Other than the title there are just a few things that I think need work, like your vocals. But nice song overall and great guitar playing. Diferent.
#7February 17th, 2006 · 02:14 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
This song is cool! Must say, though there were some imperfections, your vocals were good. Those screams sounded really good.
The guitar playing is lovely. Liked the flamenco mixed with some indian music influences.
The drums also sound good. All the instrumentation is fine, in general.
Those breaks you did really helped the song to have a mystic air.
Some missed notes in the guitar but it's good anyway. The 5:05 min section is cool. I loved it. It's really cool.
I really liked this one.

> Iszil
#8February 17th, 2006 · 02:18 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I think the mix in general is pretty OK, drums are very well... as a mastering effect I'd definately try to give it more "punch"... some overall compression, and missing some hi mid frequencies, I think... lost clarity...

as for the song, some interesting ideas in there, but to me it doesn't sound very cohesive... it somehow misses a kind of drive, but it's still very nice. I think this song should develop more over time... with live gigging.

but production is good... ideas are all good... voicing is powerful...

indeed the end bit is probably what I'm waiting for during the entire tune.

interesting, nice experiment. Well done!
#9February 17th, 2006 · 07:16 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Doesn't really do it for me at all this one - although it's recorded pretty well, and the playing is fairly sound (especially the drums which are great).
I'm not keen on the scrappy feel that this song has, or the vocals. 
For me, the song doesn't especially seem to go anywhere either.
That being said, I think this shows a lot of promise for other things to come - I'd love to hear stuff from your metal band.
#10February 22nd, 2006 · 12:13 PM
15 threads / 15 songs
106 posts
United States of America
Excellent! No other words.
#11March 1st, 2006 · 08:39 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Well,

It is pretty good.....   I think you have heard enough that the vocals need redone so I wont say it..  oops.. already did...       anyway...     I also must ask the question since you didn't answer it.. What is mexican about it??         hehehe   anyway..
    Pretty cool... keep working on this one...

JimK   I have rated this one....
#12March 1st, 2006 · 08:54 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
257 posts
Netherlands
I still don"t like the sound of a flamenco guitar with a piezo element,...but i know its always difficult to make a good recording from it and in a live setting .Maby it would be a good idea to record it just with a mic.
Much more romantic and full ambiance.
But still it will be difficult,... i have got a system in my guitar with piezo but also a little mic.
Perhaps that would be the solution??
Good luck to you guys great sound
#13March 3rd, 2006 · 07:54 PM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
The Mexican
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
Well,

It is pretty good.....   I think you have heard enough that the vocals need redone so I wont say it..  oops.. already did...       anyway...     I also must ask the question since you didn't answer it.. What is Mexican about it??         hehehe   anyway..
    Pretty cool... keep working on this one...

JimK   I have rated this one....
  Sorry guys. I always thought flamenco guitar was from Mexico and I obviously didn't do any research about it. I just think this is the kind of song I would play if I were to be on the beaches in Mexico sitting with my acoustic. I actually wrote this one sitting on a river that splits Germany and Poland one summer.
   I also have never been to Mexico, so I guess I wouldn't know what style of music they play there. Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess I should change the name to THE SPANIARD or The GERMAN.  HAHAHA
  Thanks for all of your comments. This song is old to me though and I think I might just leave it so I can look back at it in ten years and have a good laugh. Anyways, thanks again for the positives and negatives.
#14March 3rd, 2006 · 07:56 PM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
Question
voltstupor wrote…
I still don"t like the sound of a flamenco guitar with a piezo element,...but i know its always difficult to make a good recording from it and in a live setting .Maby it would be a good idea to record it just with a mic.
Much more romantic and full ambiance.
But still it will be difficult,... i have got a system in my guitar with piezo but also a little mic.
Perhaps that would be the solution??
Good luck to you guys great sound :)

What is a piezo?  I've never heard the term.
#15March 3rd, 2006 · 10:19 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re: Question
Putske wrote…
What is a piezo?  I've never heard the term.

well, A piezo is a type of pickup that is used in acoustic-electric guitars...   It works pretty good...  I think it is more personal prefeerence on this though.... some people think it changes the sound, others feel it is a good clean way to amplify your guitar....
                                           JimK
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 11:03 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.