1 2 3

#1February 12th, 2006 · 05:18 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Count The Ways
Score: 86.9%
Battle: 2006-03

Another track, along with seven, off this EP I'm doing. Mixed, but not mastered yet.

- Chester

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 12th, 2006 · 05:35 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Count The Ways
Fabulous

Ive got this thing about hooks going on with my writing...................and i cant find a hook in this song that has me going............the quick illiteration is nice............and the I........................I is cool....................maybe extend the song to get something that moves away from the linear storytelling...............where is the chorus(or hook) that might burn into the listeners brain and make him whistle your tune on the bus?????

constructive I ...............I hope

splash

I like I......................I......................ll always love u from afar.......cool

i have voted............great production and playing...its a given
#3February 12th, 2006 · 06:00 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
I had to listen to it three times.
#4February 12th, 2006 · 07:15 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Excellent!

maybe you could work a bit more on the guitar rhythm... but that's only my opinion, you could just leave it as it is and still have a really great song.
#5February 12th, 2006 · 08:19 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Hey

Yes, I have very poor strumming ability. I really do know that. I have to work on it. Thanks.

- Chester
#6February 12th, 2006 · 09:22 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
12 posts
Australia
Very nice
I like your voice quite alot. It's different to the type of music that i usually listen to, but you can sing very well. The song has quite alot of potential. If you perfect it and add some more instruments, like violins or something else to make a contrast against the guitar, the song would be alot better for it. Great song, keep up the good work.
#7February 12th, 2006 · 09:52 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I am tired, but I see myself obliged to post something to this great composition.
This is amazing, the melody is awesome, and your voice as beautiful as always. When you make a CD tell me so then I will purchase it.

> Iszil
#8February 13th, 2006 · 05:52 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Fabulous!

This is, to date, my favourite of all your stuff - and you've written some great songs.  Guitar and vocals go together beautifully.  The playing is sound, although not overcomplicated; I don't think it needs any fancy strumming.

Keep it up Chester
#9February 13th, 2006 · 06:45 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
hhhmmmm

I feel the need to post something here... Look, I love the way your vocals are recorded.

I dislike the strumming... Somehow, listening to this, the magic of your style doesn't get through to me, and to me it is less strong (to put it nicely) than most of your other work.

Also, I agree with mr. Swordfish about the lack of hook. And it has nice stuff "I'll always love you from afar" niiice - but I'm waiting for the catchiness, it doesn't come. I may sound harsh, but that's because so many others are sticking feathers up your behind, I think you need to come off your cloud and distance yourself a little from your work, to look at it from a more objective point of view.

So you can be more critical to what you're making; work on your strumming before you record, and write an allround better tune. You owe it to yourself. You need to live up to your own standards.

Still giving it a more than good rating though - don't get me wrong

But re-Seven is much better... and Obligations is THE thing... and Five Lost Friends but that's personal.
#10February 13th, 2006 · 04:53 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Ha, hey puppet.

Thanks for the input. It's funny you should say all that, because obligations was the first song I ever put on here... It's always been my favourite. But if you read the first few posts, you'll notice it was really poorly recieved. So then I went and checked out some other music on the site and realized it was predominantly rock. And then noone heard from me on the site for like, 6 months. Then I decided to come back and give it another shot.

I don't, unfortunately, think you'll ever sway me on the 'hook' issue. If a hook doesn't come naturally I won't put it in there. It's the same with middle 8ths. If you look at All That I Can Be, or even Evergreen - they have hooks. One wasn't recieved well, one was.

I suppose, and kill me for saying this, I do make music for myself. If I don't like it I don't record it.

But I completely agree about the objectivity thing. And I really do need to work on my strumming. But I recorded that the day after I wrote it. I had no choice.

Thanks, man

- Chester
#11March 1st, 2006 · 08:58 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
27 posts
Australia
nice song man i can tell u put a lot of feeling into this song kinda stirs the emotions a bit
#12March 1st, 2006 · 09:05 AM
17 posts
Canada
This is simply grand from beginning to the end! And that voice...I bloody well love that voice!
#13March 4th, 2006 · 11:52 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
This is Cool!  Nice to listen to...needs a little work
    Kinda reminds me of Simon and Garfunkle...I love it
        Keep them coming!

JimK... (I have rated this song)
#14March 7th, 2006 · 02:28 AM
1 posts
New Zealand
Sounding awesome, Chester buddy! Love the start, crack up.

- Flip
#15March 7th, 2006 · 02:37 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Well...
Just bc your other tunes didn't get much attention doesn't mean they are not good. Out of the way places, with less noise and less crowding, get more individual attention and because of that are more appreciated. Obligations has always been one of my favorite songs above all, anywhere, from the moment I heard it. Your lyrical style is just awesome.
I can't say I'm a big fan of the stream of conscienciousness(sp?) writing style you've picked up lately, seems too rushed. But anyhow, it somehow works out.

And just think the other day I was thinking "I wish Guess would upload a song with some strumming" and now I realize why you haven't, but I still like the strumming, the rhythm is unique. And again your voice is angelic. The quality seems better, too.
Do you have a producer? I've gotten more into producing lately. But I see, since I've been gone, you've uploaded 4 albums worth, so I have a lot to listen to.
Anyway, maybe I'm biased, but I like it.
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 8th, 2024 · 7:17 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.