1 2 3

#1February 11th, 2006 · 04:15 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Seven
Score: 84.9%
Battle: 2006-09

Thanks for everyone's kind words on Seven a while back This is the revised version, which, as many people will agree, sound a million times better. Complete with E-Bow near the end Sorry about the gap at the start, I could be bothered deleting it.

ENJOY!

- Chester

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 11th, 2006 · 04:56 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Just brilliant. As I said before and will say forever, you are great man.
Love your music, so please keep composing, cause I want to listen more... In fact, your music inspired me to make a song in your style, but that will never be as good as the worst of your song.
Lovely and emotive song.

> Iszil
#3February 11th, 2006 · 05:10 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
yes, this sounds pretty crisp

and it's a beautiful song, can't argue with it...

The ebow is great. maybe just a slight bit too loud though, as it is a pretty invasive sound, fights with the vocals for dominance.

but it's a beautiful track.
#4February 12th, 2006 · 01:59 AM
So basically, I made an account here just so I could tell you how amazing your music is.  I absolutely love it...and this re-recording just made my day.

Oh - I've been trying to get a hold of you via email and PM...check it out.

Once again, beautiful stuff.  Keep up the good work!
#5February 12th, 2006 · 11:05 AM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Beatiful song... E-Bow definitely adds to the artistry.  Production-wise, I'd recommend notching the vocal volume down a bit throughout the song, as they seem much louder than the arpeggios and chords. 
Also, you sing very "breath-heavy", which I think you pull off better than others who do.  It works well in this gentle song, but you do end up with a lot of inhale noises before your vocal lines start, which can be distracting. 
I should add that these are faiirly nit-picky comments, and that I enjoyed this song very much.  Thanks!
#6February 12th, 2006 · 11:15 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
ok, that settles it, I have to get an Ebow....   lol

wonderful job... definite improvement from the original...  I think you should use this as a demo and send it off to as many labels as you can....  seriously...   

what are you still doing here?   get your butt in gear... hurry up and mail it!!

geez...   your still here?   I guess you don't want to succeed...  fine...  don't listen to               
            me...   do what you want.....          

JimK
#7February 12th, 2006 · 05:10 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, puppet, I definitely feel the eBow gets too overpowering when I start singing. Starts off well I think though.

And as for what you said, yeahigotadayjob, I'm right this minute trying to take out as many of those breaths as I can. They are really annoying.

- Chester
#8February 12th, 2006 · 05:25 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Seven
beautiful song.................well produced..............ive seen comments and agree with most...........perhaps needs a stronger 'hook' to support the song........ developed around the title----------thats a lyrics thing--------seven is a strong word but doesnt get 'drilled' ..................u could call the song 'turn and move' with more relevance to the lyric.

v nice..............voted

constructive i hope

splash
#9February 12th, 2006 · 08:25 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Hey swordfish. I have a real personal problem with hooks. They piss me off to no end in songs. When people constantly repeat something. I find there's a much larger level of sophistication when you don't have to tell the listener which part of the song to remember. As for the title, I'm a big fan of songs that have almost irrelevant titles there's this amazing song by Ani Difranco called Serpentine, where the word is only said once. Even songs like Good Riddance by greenday! It's their most famous song and the title isn't even mentioned in the song.

I can totally understand your views on hooks. But I think when it comes to my hatred of pop it boils down to the fact that there is just too much focus on drilling that lyrical or melodic hook. I want people to be able to listen to a song of mine over and over and just choose what to remember. I'm not sure if i'm being clear. Oh well :P

Thank you though!

- Chester
#10February 12th, 2006 · 11:59 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Interesting discussion on "hooks".  I agree that they can be overused, but I think that not using them at all can be just as... well, choose the adjective you wish. 

In this particular song, I don't necessarily think a "hook" is necessary.

In general, however, I think that a great deal of artistry is in the practice of coming up with a hook that does not ruin the integrity of the song (as EducatedGuess appropriately points out).

Take these two examples - mainly because they were the first two examples I could think of in less than a minute 

1.  "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin.  At no point in the song do they say the title phrase.  The "hook" in the song is Robert Plant screaming "Ah ye ah... Ah!" over and over again.  Certainly, this is not what he (lyrically) is hoping people get from the song.  Yet I guarantee that I would hear it on the local radio station tomorrow, should I choose to listen.

2.  More obscurely, "Aneurysm" by Nirvana... The word is never uttered.  The hook is a twice occurring instrumental buildup, once at the beginning and once at the end. 

IMHO, these are both fantastic songs.  One (Immigrant) is fairly clear in lyrical content, the other not so much so.  But they both offer a musical hook that does not detract from the theme. 

All that aside, it's a song-to-song and artist-to-artist call.  Just thought I'd throw the "Compromise" theory out there for fodder.
#11February 13th, 2006 · 01:39 PM
6 posts
United States of America
Superb.
   This is the most beautiful melody I have heard in the last week, and god forgive me for saying the following:
But Kate Bush just suddenly fell short compared to you.

Unfortunately for you, I must keep on liking her better, so shhh.. nobody tell her.

Great work, keep it up Mr.
Genaro

p.s. i have no idea what you were singing about but it sounded good.
#12May 24th, 2006 · 06:10 PM
4 threads / 1 songs
42 posts
Portugal
god..you really are good..just a couple more of songs like these and I'll start a fan group now seriously..your songs are so calm and yet so overwhelming..not anyone can do that..good luck with your music
#13June 17th, 2006 · 06:27 AM
9 threads / 4 songs
209 posts
India
nice song i like all your songs
MAN YOU SHOULD OPEN A FAN MAIL..
I WILL BE THE FIRST ONE TO DO SO..
#14June 24th, 2006 · 12:33 AM
1 threads
52 posts
United States of America
p.s. i have no idea what you were singing about but it sounded good.

Well, after having listened to this song quite a bit this week, here's what it was about for me.

Imagine half laying on a couch, and the one you have loved with all your heart is about to leave for good, and you realize that it's over, there's nothing else you can do, even feeling a bit sorry for yourself, as you become aware it may have been something you've done to cause them to go. As you lay there, feeling the despair, the angst, the pain of their leaving, it hurts so much that you can no longer stand them being there, it would be better if they went ahead and left, seven steps to the door, and gone forever.

At least that was the imagery and feelings that song invoked for me. It's been  many years since my heart was broken like that, but damn if this song didn't take me right back there, in the moment. I swear I even got choked up a bit.

Not too many songs that can bring out that strong of reaction in me these days. This is certainly one of them. I don't know whether to thank you or damn you! (just kidding, I love this song, thanks!)

As far as the inhale breath sounds, there are times they should be removed, but there are times they certainly fit the emotion of the song, and they work for your style.

Thanks for sharing your art!
#15August 14th, 2006 · 05:23 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
hey
Is there a right and wrong way to write a song ? does a song have to have a hook ?..does the title have to be included in the lyrics ?. I think Not to all of the above..But I do think that if your going to use a hook.. that it should be lyrics that are only used once in a song...( Just My personal taste ) and it should make a damn well good statement as far as the song is concerned

As far as this song, You once again you have  out done yourself..I really like this song...all around a very good song... I think the breathing adds to the song ,as far as it being live and emotional ...strange but somehow it gives more of a emotional effect (just my opinon)......... way to go Chester

Flyer  
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 4:49 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.