#1February 4th, 2006 · 07:37 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Chances (version 2)
Score: 80.0%
Battle: 2006-03

"Taking No Chances"

This is a re-recorded version of the song.  This one's been re-mixed to remove some anomalies in the sound (forgive the indulgence - I just couldn't keep the other version on the site!), and has had loads of extras thrown in - mostly in the vocals.

This song also features drums by PuppetXeno   (thanks Puppet, for your time and patience)!

Listen, critique, (and vote)

Jim

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 4th, 2006 · 10:53 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Pretty cool song....    PuppetXeno came through nicely with the drums...  Great quality on the rest of the song as well, the guitar work is wonderful...   you get an A+ from me...

JimK
#3February 4th, 2006 · 03:22 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
149 posts
United States of America
very nice work-the mix is beautiful-vocals are smooth.i really liked the spanish guitar at the beginning.100% no doubt!!!
#4February 5th, 2006 · 05:20 PM
11 threads / 9 songs
37 posts
Ireland
Groovy indeed

As a gtrist i did enjoy the gtr lines but have to say well done on all the other aspects of the tune. The whole song sounded well to me and the drums really brought an original tone to an already original vibe.
Good Work
#5February 6th, 2006 · 04:12 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the comments - I agree, Puppet came through well for me. 

The best thing about doing this collaboration was just how much I managed to learn in such a short space of time!  Who knows, if I work a bit harder at it I may get my production as good as JBP's

Keep your comments coming - they're great
#6February 7th, 2006 · 02:41 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
well i like this song too,wow i'm well tuned in here.
#7February 10th, 2006 · 01:15 PM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
The guitar's sound quite clean and the whole thing is tight. I like the vocals. Slightly (very slightly) remanisant of Rob Dougan and Chris Rea(they, in my view, have quite simaler voices).
Yer, like people have already exressed, the drum's come through really well, gives a profound depth to it. Also the guitaring at the start is sweet, but I liked the solo at 2:43 more. It was quit Santana-esq.....yeah.
Good work!
#8February 15th, 2006 · 05:49 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
This sound cool. This is not my style, but has a nice sound.
It's a bit 80'. The quality is awesome. Nice collaboration from PX.
Good work, Jim.

> Iszil
#9February 16th, 2006 · 09:27 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
I didn't like it until the vocals came in, but it introduced it well nonetheless. I don't think I've ever heard your voice before, it is really cool. This sounds like something JBP would do except with that PX appeal we all love 
Very cool. The production is also very good.
#10February 17th, 2006 · 12:18 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks Oldies for the compliments.  I think you reviewed my first song on here, which wasn't (and still isn't) very good! There were vocals on that too.

#11February 17th, 2006 · 01:38 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
hey... care if I butt in?

I did the drums on this track... I loved doing it, though the song itself isn't really something I'd normally listen to. Also, I think the vocal melody could have used a bit more variation, in the second verse for instance. And there's where I could have done something stronger too, a different drum pattern, with something more dynamic in a way.... Not sure... I tried, these are the results, I'm happy with it, and I'm glad to find people appreciate the effort...

I'm always open for more collaborations... So just contact me if you're interested... I must say my schedule has become quite busy though, but if you check here you can find what else is on my mind (latest entry in the blog)... Ok, enough spamming for one day!!!

Anyways, Jimi did the mixing just right with this version, and I think this song definately has an interesting appeal... don't know what though... it's the "je ne sais quoi" thing I think...
#12February 21st, 2006 · 02:47 AM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
Nice
I like this tune especially the minute. I didn't really like it when it goes in to the chorus but once I got over the change it goes good. I like the drum break at the 2 minute mark.. then the song gets better again. The solo fits in really well to...I wasn't expecting it. I guess I'm just not a fan of chorus's in music. It's probably not a good thing for me not liking chorus's and I'm not picking on you it's a general idea I don't like about the way music "should' be written.

I like the overall feeling of the song. The vocals seem like you could have put a little more effort into it. I feel a sense that you were holding back on something. All in all you're a great musician and I will be listening to some of your other stuff. Good work.
#13March 5th, 2006 · 04:06 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
54 posts
United States of America
interesting lyrics
#14March 6th, 2006 · 04:31 PM
15 threads / 15 songs
106 posts
United States of America
Good production. Main vocals are too dry IMHO (some verb may improve the effect maybe?). I like the fact you collaborated with puppet too. Nothing else to say but great work.
#15March 8th, 2006 · 03:44 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
22 posts
Netherlands
feedback back to ya
Nice man nice music
like the damped soloing with the guitar
rhythm is a bit funky too
Thx for your feedback on my playing, but keep in mind i am just playing guitar for 1 year
but overall keep up the good work
music making is just so much fun 
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 1:55 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.