1 2

#1August 22nd, 2005 · 02:40 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Saturnalia

This song is not in a battle

This is a prelude that I started to write when the Cassini-Huygens probe started sending back close up images of Saturn and it's moons. Managed to finish it yesterday whilst setting up my new sound card.

The sounds are from a Kurzweil KME1.

Not exactly Rock'n'Roll, but I hope you enjoy it...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 22nd, 2005 · 07:16 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
oOo, me likes.  it's easy listening, but it keeps changing, which is wonderful.  i like it when a song isn't terribly predictable.

yay for the second line coming in around the 1:00,

and the slow trills...

and the 1:30 area! the high line is wonderfully soft and flowing still.

and when all is said and done, you managed to put a returning melody into the mix.

wonderful.  i certainly get the feeling that this was an intentionally simple song, yet has it's own relative complications.  awesome job, man. huzzah for that.

i think you got the song length perfect, personally.  if it were to go into some other movement or something, that'd be a different story, but as is, it is the perfect length, i think.

there's a lot of silence at the end, but don't think i'm complaining about the song 

you've got a range of talent in you.. very nice.  very, very nice.
#3August 22nd, 2005 · 07:31 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Thanks there!

Yeh the silence at the end has an explanation. You see, I began this in the late morning of sunday and ended much later in the evening - I forgot to eat anything all the while I was working on the music and trying to get my new hardware working how I wanted. When I noticed the silence was still there at the end of the day I had to decide between another edit, or the fridge.

Guess who won... 

It was always going to be a simple piece. I actually started writing it for the guitar, but it started to get complex so I moved it to the piano.
#4August 22nd, 2005 · 07:33 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
When I said complex, I mean't beyond my stretching ability on the guitar and the number of notes I can play at the same time 
#5August 22nd, 2005 · 07:34 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
you've done it very nicely, though.  i understand what you mean about the complexity.  i find piano complexity easier to listen to than guitar complexity.  guitar has it's place, but i find the piano much more soothing and clear than guitar-picked strings.

nothing against the guitar, but hey.  pianos are cool.  once again, good job on this song, hehe.  i hope the fridge doesn't ALWAYS win when you're editing a song :P

just messin with ya.  keep it up man.  good stuff.
#6August 22nd, 2005 · 09:04 AM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
Just beautiful! This is what songs on this forum should be like; not overly-produced, just pure expression! As Roger Waters said, "In the finished artical, the only things that matters is whether it moves you or not, there is nothing else that's important."

When writing classical-style peices, i struggle with simple choices, like stepping out of key. Every time you stepped out of key, it was refreshing. Pretty song!
#7August 22nd, 2005 · 01:47 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
34 posts
United States of America
Interesting song...  Keeps moving and evolving... not much structure... not that that is a bad thing.  sounds ALOT at times like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.  Cool.
#8August 22nd, 2005 · 03:04 PM
25 threads / 23 songs
168 posts
United States of America
This sounds like a lost character theme from Final Fantasy III -- I loved it.
#9August 22nd, 2005 · 05:23 PM
9 threads / 4 songs
90 posts
United Kingdom
that's just lovely!
Really like this. Does sound like moonlight at times. That's always gonna be good in my books cos its my fav'
#10August 22nd, 2005 · 10:00 PM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Thanks
Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the similarities to Moonlight, I think you may be referring to the sections that progressively step down a tone. I did have reservations about that myself, but then Bach also does that in a prelude of his in Cm, and also if you notice in a lot of rock and popular music you can find it there too – it’s a classic progression. Hard to do simply without sounding somewhat reminiscent, and this is a simple piece of music. Moonlight is much, much more than this.

As I know very little about music theory, this was a fairly exploratory experiment, although I'm pleased it's gone down well so far.
#11August 23rd, 2005 · 02:20 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Gorgeous piano sound (particularly in terms of the bass notes, they really have a warmth to them), with a slow, haunting melody. I love it

The subtle synth string 'pad' that creeps in and then begins to flow with the music is a nice touch, but im not too keen on the sound of it. I really think with that piano it would be nice to have a true orchestral accompaniment - I highly recommend the Edirol Orchestral software synth. It's better than any synth or sound module I've heard. Alternatively, the next stage to look at in realism (which requires titanic storage space and PC power) is a true software sampler such as gigastudio, but there are plenty of simpler ones around.

Overall, this composition is fantastic, and so relaxing, and the overall sound is exactly fitting for the track - I'd just like to hear a little more variation in terms of dynamics that comes from an Orchestra - just my persona opinion, doesnt make it right!

Great stuff mate, and I look forward to hearing the next one.
#12August 23rd, 2005 · 04:01 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
The string pad was a bit dodgy - I should have spent more time over that sound. In fact, I was going to use another sound from an old TG55 module (a classic 24 bit synth) - that has some nice sounds (some dodgy ones too). Anyhow, now that I'm going more PC orientated, I need to start checking out software solutions such as you mentioned.
#13August 23rd, 2005 · 09:31 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Fine Prelude
a great composition! I like the Bach variations ans the original piano sound!
#14August 25th, 2005 · 06:08 PM
15 posts
United States of America
very good
keep looking towards the stars.....they inspire you.
Liked it ....yeah!
#15September 10th, 2005 · 08:58 AM
A very fine piece; I enjoyed it a lot. The only thing that struck me as not quite right is the chord selections at the end. It wasn't so final and "cadence"-ey as it could have been. You used a lot of classically sound cadences throughout the piece, so the end struck me as bizarre. You used a i6/4 inversion chord near; I believe you could've gotten a lot more out of that if you put a V after it instead of just going to the i. Just me, though. I'm a picky bastard. Lovely piece...Very relaxing.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 6:38 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.