1 2
#16November 12th, 2007 · 04:33 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Yeah, sMd, bad call on your side. A comment like yours is really unnecessary. There is something to be said against the limitations of demo versions - in fact they severely limit the fun you can have with a program, so, psychologically, you may very well grow an aversion towards the program simply because of that.

However, if you feel any different, please explain in a mature way why a limited FL demo version could indeed be a good demonstration of the program's features. It's not like you learn how to use it in a single session.. especially not when you can't save your progress...
#17November 12th, 2007 · 05:16 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
"What more can I say
Every one is Gay!"
Sinead O'connor

But is that it? You register as a member, fill nothing in on your members page and then call Triton Gay !!??
Strange!

Or are you already gone?

I think Marinos gay!
And Minds is pretty strange too!
#18November 12th, 2007 · 06:07 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
re: wtf
sMd wrote…
so YOU....

......GAY!

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.  I think the last time I called someone gay (not in reference to their legitimate sexuality) I was ten or eleven.  It may have popped out every once in a while since then, but the hilarity of this situation is just too good an opportunity to pass up.

Before I continue; Minds, I don't think that the treatment of this situation should be different just because TK is a "respected member".  That's preferential treatment, and is far, far worse that what smd is doing.

I should also mention that I feel there is really no problem with what smd said.  He can call me gay or whatever, and I really don't think it's a big deal.  It's childish to reprimand people for saying something that is at best a very mild swear word.  In fact, on many, many times I have been "insulted" far worse by subtle and explicit things directed towards me.  And please, nobody give me that B.S. excuse about "the children", because apart from the fact that there are laws protecting them, there is nothing here that they can't catch on cable.

I'll answer PX's question for him; though: most demo versions are for people familiar with the system of DAW software and for them to test if they like the interface.  A demo is usually not for people who are trying to learn the system head-on.  In those situations, it really doesn't matter, in my opinion; just pick one and learn it.  And TK, I definitely agree with smd in his (general) sentiments to your response---I don't feel that is a legitimate excuse and in today's world of extreme piracy, all they are doing is making life easier for pirates.  Download the program off BitTorrent if you don't want to be "loosing interests when [you] cant save [your] ideas for today and cant go on tomorrow".

And yes, I only just realized---really---that I am poking fun at someone's second language.  I'd like to explain this: it's not that I am trying to be spiteful, I would have quoted that if it was perfectly written.  Secondly, I feel TK's English is usually pretty solid, so I don't feel like I am throwing out some long-running, deep-winded joke about his lack of ability to speak reasonable English.  TK, I am not trying to insult you.  I hope you have sense enough to understand that.

Phew. Alright, back to my original point: smd.  Really? So apart from copy-catting someone's (admittedly slightly childish) post structure, you use the word "gay"?  How old are you?  I can't attribute this to a lack of language, because English fluency is very common in SA, especially among Internet users.  Even though your first language may be Afrikaans, I'm pretty sure you speak English well enough.  I think this is a problem that roots from deep psychological trauma and long-rooted issues that stem from your own homophobia.  And while the majority of the psychological stuff I babble is complete and utter nonsense, I think you should realize that sometimes retort, subtlety and sarcasm don't get translated well in the written form.  People may overreact or may not have the social patience that your good friends may have with you.  I figure this is as good a lesson as any to learn that, eh?

And I don't know if he has been banned or suspended or not---I'm not going to comment on what I feel about the process by which that is judged---but honestly, be reasonable.  He said "gay", and it really is not a big deal.  Don't overreact; sure, he could have handled it more graciously, much like I didn't have to post this or Kings didn't have to post his retort to the situation, but he didn't.  I did post this.  Kings did call Marino gay.  No one that wants to be straight suddenly became gay and nobody who I know or suspect is gay seems to have been terribly offended.

And if he has been banned/suspended...well...

Edited for typos.
#19November 12th, 2007 · 08:55 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
re: re: wtf
avinashv wrote…
A demo is usually not for people who are trying to learn the system head-on.

mmmm... i'm not sure i agree entirely, but understand what you're saying.  you then proceeded to give your opinion about how it doens't really matter for those sorts of users, that they should just pick one-- which is fine, as a suggestion.  but at any rate, i think a very large percentage of non-professional music enthusiasts toy with demos out of a desire to learn a program and use it before the demo expires on them.  that's how i used to do Flash   then i used Deepfreeze on a partition of my harddrive so that it's 30 days wouldn't run out   ... perhaps that's a shady approach, but hey... so sue me.  i've done worse, trust me, like the time I hid myself from being federally fined for some interesting funny business) but i'm chaning my ways   I think a decent human being can get his work done without pirating software if he actually desires to work for it.

personally, i recently downloaded FL studio myself and found it rather annoying that i couldn't save my little project once i got so tired that i was falling asleep in between test runs... so what did i have to do?  I took screen shots of the program window while it was running so that i could waste a half hour and punch the data back in at a later time when i could continue my folly.

i did appreciate the program's unrestricted wav and mp3 export features.  it's quite frankly the only thing that saved me from just uninstalling the demo right off the bat.  Well, no, i take it back:  I would have then set my Audacity (no need for pirated software there, JBP... you're philosophy is flaw'd i think) to record the wav output of the computer.  At any rate, there's something to be said about a no-save "feature" of a demo, as puppetxeno was saying.

but... as i only ... "posseder" ... possess?  that's not the best word to use in this english construction...

*ahem*

but... as i only "own" FL Studio's demo, i suppose i'll only be making use of it's goodness for a limited time, unless i decide to actually shell out the money (that i don't have at the moment) to continue finding my groove in the confounded thing.  there's a lot to explore for myself, even after Puppet's tutorial links.

just my 2 cents.

TLS
#20November 13th, 2007 · 12:00 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
re: re: re: wtf
TonightsLastSong wrote…
avinashv wrote…
A demo is usually not for people who are trying to learn the system head-on.

mmmm... i'm not sure i agree entirely, but understand what you're saying.  you then proceeded to give your opinion about how it doens't really matter for those sorts of users, that they should just pick one-- which is fine, as a suggestion.  but at any rate, i think a very large percentage of non-professional music enthusiasts toy with demos out of a desire to learn a program and use it before the demo expires on them.  that's how i used to do Flash   then i used Deepfreeze on a partition of my harddrive so that it's 30 days wouldn't run out   ... perhaps that's a shady approach, but hey... so sue me.  i've done worse, trust me, like the time I hid myself from being federally fined for some interesting funny business) but i'm chaning my ways   I think a decent human being can get his work done without pirating software if he actually desires to work for it.

personally, i recently downloaded FL studio myself and found it rather annoying that i couldn't save my little project once i got so tired that i was falling asleep in between test runs... so what did i have to do?  I took screen shots of the program window while it was running so that i could waste a half hour and punch the data back in at a later time when i could continue my folly.

i did appreciate the program's unrestricted wav and mp3 export features.  it's quite frankly the only thing that saved me from just uninstalling the demo right off the bat.  Well, no, i take it back:  I would have then set my Audacity (no need for pirated software there, JBP... you're philosophy is flaw'd i think) to record the wav output of the computer.  At any rate, there's something to be said about a no-save "feature" of a demo, as puppetxeno was saying.

but... as i only ... "posseder" ... possess?  that's not the best word to use in this english construction...

*ahem*

but... as i only "own" FL Studio's demo, i suppose i'll only be making use of it's goodness for a limited time, unless i decide to actually shell out the money (that i don't have at the moment) to continue finding my groove in the confounded thing.  there's a lot to explore for myself, even after Puppet's tutorial links.

just my 2 cents.

TLS :D

So firstly, I love how the AMP now not only gives you a preview of a reply to something you've posted in emails (awesome!), but also sends you emails on replies to your posts in other people's threads.  Bad ass.

I understand where you are coming from, but as a business decision I would---and do---stand by Image-Line completely in their decision to demo out FL Studio the way they did.  The demo is precisely that: a demonstration of the software; it isn't a race for you to profit from their software as much as you can in 15, 20, 30 or however many days.
#21November 13th, 2007 · 12:25 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
and that's the part of their position that I understand, though we can't deny that that's exactly what people do with trial software.  You don't just install something with a time limit if you're not sure you know what the heck you want to do with it.  And I'm speaking from the random End-User standpoint, not a corporate one, where we don't care HOW to use it as much as we want to know if the full version will get our job done.

anyway... that's all i've got on the matter :P

i agree about the forum breaking up the conversation in by the Re: in front of the subject line-- very useful.  i htought it was a glich at first, hahaha...
#22November 13th, 2007 · 12:21 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Anyway, the reason we're making a little bit of an issue out of minor cuss words, is because we simply don't want people calling eachother names for any reason. It looks funny, and innocent passers-by may not understand it's not being meant the way it looks. So we keep things clean!

And, no I haven't reprimanded whats-his-name, though I have a feeling he won't be back, ever, ... so sad! Such a great loss we must suffer
#23November 13th, 2007 · 07:09 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Yeah, to me, the real issue wasn't that the word used was so bad....instead, the problem exists in the way this person addressed another member. I assume we would all agree that we don't want this kind of juvenile "flaming" of our members here.....thus we have rules to this effect: http://about.bandamp.com/rules.html
#24November 13th, 2007 · 10:40 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
Well, after reading the looong responses, all can I say:

I'm Not Gay

and I don't use FL

well my dinner is usually Fruity Loops with milk, but is not the same

dodo 
#25November 20th, 2007 · 10:59 AM
1 posts
South Africa
OK OK. Just to clear things up a bit, I'm sorry for using insanely obscene, repulsive and horrific language =P. To be quite honest, it was not in my intention to insult and offend other people. At least not personally.

I have learned that if anybody has an opinion, i should not oppose that, because everyone differs in some or other way. And it's an opinion that is at hand here, not a fact...

Everyone happy??
#26November 20th, 2007 · 11:51 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
sMd wrote…
OK OK. Just to clear things up a bit, I'm sorry for using insanely obscene, repulsive and horrific language =P. To be quite honest, it was not in my intention to insult and offend other people. At least not personally.

I have learned that if anybody has an opinion, i should not oppose that, because everyone differs in some or other way. And it's an opinion that is at hand here, not a fact...

Everyone happy?? :)

yeah it's cool
#27January 18th, 2009 · 12:31 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
...We digress
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 11:25 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.