1 2

#1September 14th, 2005 · 03:43 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
FREE MASTERING
Believe it or not, I've been mastering songs for people for free for 5 years now - I'm still getting people who want to take advantage of that long after I started on this site and I've enjoyed doing it.

However, due to work and other life commitments I simply don't have the time any more.

If I can give one tip to anyone who stumbles across this thread in future, it would be,

SORT YOUR DAMN MIX OUT BEFORE YOU ASK SOMEONE TO MASTER IT

I've had so many people who expected me to turn their crappy mix into their favourite radio sound. That's not what mastering is.

Record it properly, mix it well, and then send it for mastering - you can't polish a turd

If you have loads of noise on your recording, you fail.
If you have put loads of your own effects on and it still sounds terrible, you fail.
If your individual tracks or entire mix is clipping into distortion because its peaking over 0db, you fail.
If you're trying to record using the mic built into your laptop, you fail.
If you record all your drums on to one track, you fail.
If your cymbals are twice as loud as your kick drum, you fail.

And finally - if the person mastering for you tells you something is wrong with your mix and needs fixing at mixdown and not at the mastering stage - they're probably right.

However - If you've put your heart and soul into it, recorded it carefully with reasonable gain and low noise, produced it with a good ear for EQ / compression and conservative reverb, mixed it to peak at -6 to -9 db, and then master it - you win.

Good luck everyone

Much love...

Dave
Feb 2011
#2September 15th, 2005 · 12:36 AM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
that's really cool, i respect your attitude towards music
I think our band is the first ones who need mastering help, so if someone by the name of "krazy_but_lazy@hotmail.com" adds you, just to let you know it would be me... Now we got the recorder, and the new song, once it's recorded i would really be interested to see what you can do with it
#3September 15th, 2005 · 03:12 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
hot, I'd love to I look forward to hearing your recording!
#4September 15th, 2005 · 11:44 PM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
If i were to send you something, would you rather have it in seperate sections (guitar/drums/vocals) or as an mp3 file?
#5September 16th, 2005 · 04:18 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Oooh...if you sent it in separate sections (guitar/drums/vocals) then I could mix it too - that would be infinitely better! I'd love to do that.

Please try and send them 'dry' though (ie don't add any extra reverb/eq/compression etc at the recording stage other than the guitar FX),

Sounds fun
#6September 16th, 2005 · 08:13 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
What do you mean guitar FX, do you add your own or simply making what is there better sounding?
#7September 16th, 2005 · 01:58 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
I'm saying that if you want me to actually mix your song, by sending me the parts separately, then dont add any production effects or processors such as EQ or compression before sending them. Of course, try and get the sound you want at source when recording it so I don't have to make too drastic changes.

Say if you recorded your electric guitar and you were using effects pedals and stuff, then of course this is fine. I wouldn't be adding my own effects like that for you, yes i'd just be trying to make the existing recorded material sound better.

The only effect I'd be likely to add would be reverb, maybe a bit of delay if im double-tracking. It depends
#8September 16th, 2005 · 03:30 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Ah, sorry. I read too fast the first time around.
I think it's great you want to do this, I'd certainly think you'd do a fine job.
#9October 16th, 2005 · 03:14 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Check your email, Dave, when you get the chance. I'm still working on vocals and guitar that can actually be used (not what I sent you).
I was also wondering if you would remix Awake and Dreaming for me. If you would like to do that, do I need to do any panning myself? And my guitar playing capabilities are not that great, so would I need to send several drafts of me playing guitar and you only take the good parts-how would that work? Don't laugh at me.
Talk to ya later
#10October 17th, 2005 · 04:32 PM
37 threads / 25 songs
237 posts
United States of America
hey dave its rick..or buzz rather i sent you an email 2day,,a chat forum would be nice at this site as we all love talkin shop good luck...c-ya
#11September 2nd, 2007 · 07:13 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
ya im back around here a bit more often so...

*BUMP* :-D
#12September 3rd, 2007 · 05:50 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hey hey! That IS pretty cool! Where have ya been?

Much has changed since you were last here... Many new and very active members, ... old members that aren't here anymore (sadly)... You should check the chat and catch up! What's your excuse for staying away for so long by the way? Hehehe...

Cheers m8!
#13September 3rd, 2007 · 03:48 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
hey mate i remember you!

ya ive been away for some time mainly because of other commitments in my life (work and an annoying girlfriend who was allergic to guitars lol) that kept me away from the real love of my life - music

so, I got promoted - dumped the b*tch - and now I can rock again! woo!

look forward to checking out the new breed of material, and yes ill try to catch up in chat

take care bro
#14September 7th, 2007 · 11:34 AM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Right, Ive sent an email and a pm and still havent heard from you...I'll assume you are too busy?
#15September 8th, 2007 · 02:36 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
lol sorry m8 have been busy but got ur mail and replied
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 10:28 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.