#1February 19th, 2008 · 04:07 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Playing Live
There is such a range of musicians on this site I am curious how many of you play live on a regular basis, be it local pubs, concerts, whatever. I am also curious about the music scene in the various places people live, ie how hard is it to get gigs, expectations etc.

I am in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and live gigging consists almost entirely of cover bands. At best the pub owners will allow maybe two original numbers in a ten song set. Personally I don't do covers except for my own interpretations which upsets the patrons who want you to sound like Bryan Adams!! 

Professional scene for original music in SA is very limited and only a handful of bands actually get themselves heard (except for particularly local genres like kwaito and afirkaans music which is way out of my line). I want to start doing open mic nights just for the experience but building my confidence and technique first (I'm still at the miss every third chord stage but practicing hard).

Love to hear from you all (particularly Australia as my family and I are fleeing the power outages in SA, hopefully by the end of the year). 
#2February 20th, 2008 · 06:55 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
When I lived in New York City my gigging was very consistent...Originals in both acoustic and full band had more than enough venues to perform in..Since I moved out to Miami and Little Rock not only has my performing dropped to not even 1/4 of what it used to be,but covers seem to be the driving force of the local scene...
That's how I came to find the AMP!!! I was home more often than when i was playing out just about every night...
Anyways I know Blakhats is in Australia and he might be a good person to ask via PM...
#3February 20th, 2008 · 05:25 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
where the bloody hell are you?
hi wam,
Yep there are gigs to be had here.
The tribute band i've played in for years do maily corperate gigs now with a few club shows.There are many clubs here ,big barns some of them and very slick others.
Melbourne is good for live original scene , also enjoying a film making boom ,many great bands have come outa there , sydney where I live uesed to be better.Used to work 5 nights a week but now like a few a month , but big ones.We play internationally and this is where the gold is , ASIA   Singapore , Hong Kong,Shanghai ,Malaysia, Japan,across to europe .

There is an icredible range of live music here  country ,>>>punk >>>>funk  classical, experimental >> .
The national youth radio jjj is very active in the festival an tv arena.

http://www.triplejunearthed.com/

The beer is cold the girls are warm and the surf is awsome.
Just keep an eye out 4 dropbears.

#4February 22nd, 2008 · 05:47 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Crikey mate. I've been thinking about leaving a country that leads the world in crime and rape, the worlds highest reported HIV infection rate, an encumbent president who believes HIV can be cured by beetroot, a president in waiting who has been tried for rape, is under prosecution for corruption, believes HIV can be cured by a shower, and frequently sings a popular struggle song called "Umshini Wam" (Bring me my machine gun)! The national power supplier has "run out" of electricity and we face the continual threat of petrol shortages.

But bloody oath those dropbears are something to think about! Maybe I should just take my chances with lions and tsotis! 
#5February 22nd, 2008 · 10:18 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Crikey mate! What the bloody hell is a "dropbear"? (and what is a tsotis?) I just wanna keep up with the conversation, you see.... Cheers!!!
#6February 22nd, 2008 · 10:33 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Dropbear:

"Often mistaken for Australia's mostly cuddly looking marsupial (the koala), the dropbear is perhaps the most dangerous animal on the planet. This nasty creature relies on it's cuddly looking appearance to attack unsuspecting tourists who attempt to hold it or have their photograph taken with it. Many tourists have been lulled into a false sense of security when the dropbear has pretended to be it's more sleepy and cuddly cousin. If it cannot fool it's victim readily, the dropbear will drop down from the trees to attack with it's large retractable claws and wickedly sharp 12 centimeter fangs. "

Dinkum mate, they're a bloody nightmare.

Tsotsi (see I misspelled it above) is SA slang for a bad dude (criminal, robber, migger, rapist, gangster etc).

#7March 27th, 2008 · 06:28 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
drop bears
Actually the Drop Bear legend began during ww2 ,when Australian troops had some fun with their Yankee allies.

"Over paid over sexed and over here"

'You'll hear something in the trees above ,what ever you do don't look up look up because Drop Bears with razor  fangs and claws are waiting to rip and gouge  your face.'

There was an infamous incident when 2 troop trains, 1 full of American troops and the other with Australians  heading in opposite directions stopped together at a siding in Queensland.
A comment like "You go fight the Japanese we're going back to **** your wives and girlfriends."Not the most astute thing to say considering they were all armed to the teeth and battle ready.

Over 50 soldiers were killed in the resulting riot , it was covered up by authorities for many years.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 5:10 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.