#1February 10th, 2008 · 05:57 PM
27 threads / 2 songs
179 posts
Canada
Favorite Lyricist/Songwriter
Alot of songs can stand alone without words, like alot of music I hear here on the Amp. But, through our lives we tend to look forward to certain songs/performers. Maybe to sing along or just to listen to the words. But sometimes the words of a song just hit you, they mean something to you. There are many artists that have this knack for words.

The two that come to my mind when I think of great storytellers through lyrics are Willie Nelson and Paul Simon. I can't help but sing along with anything they write. They don't waste words to fill space, each words means something to them. These greats are my inspiration to get better at what I do.

Is there someone that inspires you? Who is your favorite songwriter/lyricist?thx
-Mark
#2February 10th, 2008 · 06:07 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Let's see...., Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Jon Bon Jovi (shhhhhhhhhhhh!) Springsteen and Bono to name a few. However, number one would have to be Hank Williams with Stomp'n Tom coming in second. (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!)
#3February 11th, 2008 · 12:05 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hmmm.Not sure, the ones I really like sing in Spanish which is my native language."For me" English is a bit superficial in tone(I did say for me"this is not a put down on English").To my ears it doesn't capture my attention as much(I guess that's natural for any 2nd language or at least in my case).Anyways the point is that I miss a lot of what is said and a lot of what I do get is very differently expressed from the lyrical expressions I favor.But I guess the closest to what I like would be Paul Simon,Joni Mitchell,David Crosby,Roger Waters,Tracy Chapman,Cat Stevens,etc....
The actual Spanish ones would be Silvio Rodriguez,Roy Brown,Charlie Garcia,Luis Eduardo Aute,Pablo Milanes,etc...
#4February 11th, 2008 · 12:56 AM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
Captian Beefheart, Beck, the Flaming Lips, and Stephen Malkmus (of Pavement as well as a solo career) for sure...
#5February 11th, 2008 · 01:07 AM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Ani DiFranco, Robert Plant, Roger Waters, (a few from above) Tracy Chapman, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison, Sting, Tom Petty....  Off the top of my head..
#6February 11th, 2008 · 08:21 PM
27 threads / 2 songs
179 posts
Canada
Some more great song writers! Another that comes to mind is Noel Gallagher of oasis...some pretty cool stuff there.
#7February 11th, 2008 · 08:36 PM
2 threads
49 posts
Ireland
Favourite Lyricists
Soooo many,  Ray Davies, JJ Cale, Lowell George, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan,
Lennon & McCartney, Jagger/Richards, John Prine. Hank, Willie, Nick Drake, Bruce Springsteen, Laura Nyro,
Syd Barratt, Neil Young,  Elvis Costello, Leonard Cohen, Janis Ian, Robbie Robertson.....it goes on and on
#8February 12th, 2008 · 01:30 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
cosmo  hit a bunch of the ones I admire along with,  Yes, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Buffalo Springfield, I also like Martina Mcbride, Eagles .
#9November 7th, 2008 · 12:11 AM
32 threads
158 posts
United States of America
well thats a fun question
Hmm thats a hard question!

Here are mine tho

Steven Tyler (areosmith) (Dream On)
Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars) (The whole Beautiful Lie Album) (the kill)
Amy Lee (My Immortal, Bring Me to Life)
Seether (!Broken!)
Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison)
Tom Petty (hello Last dance with Mary Jane)
Keith Harkin (The Mountains of Morne)
Flogging Molly
Rob Pattinson (Never Think)
Shiny Toy Guns (they are what do you say...creative) ( Le Disko) (You Are the One)
Matchbox 20 (i really like Unwell)
Muse (Super Massive Black Hole)
Iron and Wine
Carter Burwell (his music dosent need lyrics, it speaks for itself)

Ill think of more later!
#10November 7th, 2008 · 08:51 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Roger Waters hands down
#11November 7th, 2008 · 10:13 PM
27 threads / 2 songs
179 posts
Canada
Old thread, but how did we all miss Meat Loaf Aday?!?!?
#12November 11th, 2008 · 02:30 AM
1 threads
3 posts
United States of America
i love lots of singer/songwriter type music.  Joshua Radin is really good with the lyrics..as well as Ingrid Michaelson, Meiko..
#13January 20th, 2009 · 05:43 PM
42 posts
United States of America
jim morrison
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 7:07 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.