#1February 8th, 2008 · 01:55 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Jobs
Hey, I'm just chilling here on the Amp, avoiding french homework until my programming class starts, and I've got nothing to talk about :P So I wanted to make something up.

I thought a discussion / list of jobs that people have done (or maybe would like to do) would be an interesting way to get to know some of you in a little more interesting way.  I don't expect grand details, but I'm curious nonetheless to see what sorts of things people have done before.  It's funny how much diversity there can be in a single person's working history (career or just highschool-ish part time, doesn't matter).

I could start, of course

So, I'm a computer science major in a university right now, to set the tone.  But I've clearly done lots of other (unrelated) stuff :P

-Fast food (of course.. hard to avoid that for a lot of people)
-at a public pool
-University of Kentucky tech support (i got placed into the college of nursing... never got so many cookies and brownies as a result of giving technical help!! it was wonderful)
-assembling analogue and digital locks on an assembly line for a month... 54 hour weeks... start at 6am, end at 4:30... it was sooo bad..  made me realize i don't want to do anything like that again
-music shop... did speaker installation mostly, but had to work at the front counter a bit, too, tackling keyboard/piano/cable/strings/anythingMiscellaneous/etc

that's been about it for me so far.  i feel like i've missed something on that list, but it's probably not important.

of course, i'd love to be something crazy fun / dangerous like being clandestine services or something, but that's clearly not in the cards for just anybody
#2February 9th, 2008 · 03:01 PM
9 threads / 8 songs
207 posts
United Kingdom
Like the idea of this little thread - kinda interesting.

Im currently a student studying Media Production (documentary video and radio/sound) at Uni about an hour south of London.  Job-wise:

- Qualified ski instructor, and have worked in Gstaad, Switzerland.  Currently work part time during my holidays in the Italian Alps (Aosta Vallee)
- Mobile sound and light system director (unpaid work, but work all the same); Germany
- DJ for a few local discos in Germany
- Construction worker in the UK; worked on a few different sites...biggest being a 5 story hotel extension.
- Night-shift (6pm-6am) worker in a muffin and cup-cake factory. That sucked...a lot. (UK)
- Warehouse worker for my friends parents persian rug company...loads of fun surprisingly (Japan)
- Website translation for an industrial company (Japan)

As far as my future; who knows.  Got too many different ideas to place here.  Woud definatley like to get out to the middle east and do some documentary video work there.  Maybe even a bit of sound production stuff
#3February 9th, 2008 · 04:55 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Alright:

- More freelance web development/graphic design/etc work than I can remember.
- Worked at the web development house for the university.
- Current, I work for the student government doing, of course, web development.
- Worked in a ad production company in Dubai; all over the place, but spend most of my time in post-prod.
- Taught guitar.
- Gigged.
- Auto tech at a BMW franchise near home.
- Various menial office jobs.

That about sums it up, I think.
#4February 10th, 2008 · 12:35 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
alright....
here goes, Hope you have time..

Sandwich artist at Subway Sandwiches, late 80's.  Also worked at Clark Gasoline, Lawsons Convenience stores, Plaskolite Polimers (baking plastic to make it clear). Franklin Brazing, Isomedics Medical Supply Distribution( Sterilizing medical supplies with Radiation) .. FasLube Oil Change, geez I hated this job...Galbreath Security, Globe Security, as guards, Jackson Investigations, as a guard and Private Investigator..  Burns Detective Agency,BP Oil, Rollins Security Services, ADT Security Services)Presently employed there, as a Technician V, which means I work on the big commercial stuff, and do allot of computer troubleshooting life safety fire systems, nurse call systems, infant monitoring systems, stuff that people rely on every day to save their life...  That is the majority of what I've done... Any questions, ask..  It's been an interesting journey so far... I left out the sound engineer/stage graphics tech stuff, because in my opinion, that was not a job, that was recreation.. I enjoyed it...
#5February 10th, 2008 · 07:06 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
47 posts
Germany
interesting
Just to think of all the jobs I've had thru my life is a fun exercise.  Let's see, I'll try to list them from age 6 to current...

(1960s) Talent in 6 national television commercials; child model at fashion shows; diswasher at a Swiss restaraunt in Corona Del Mar Calif; (1970s) counter clerk at Baskin Robbins; bit-parts and set construction at local dinner theater; yard and warehouse labor for my Dad; Taco Bell; Ride operator at Santa's Workshop in Cascade Colorado; Landscape worker; Pizza Parlour; construction laborer; plasterer's apprentice; drywall helper; US Army: artilleryman, maintenance clerk, graphic artist; (1980s) reporter and cartoonist for University press (work-study position); warehouse work for lighting, sound and stage company; room service waiter; hotel bellman; carpenter's helper; 7-11 clerk; assistant accountant in construction business; project superintendent for US Navy construction contract in Panama; commercial office cleaning; construction drywall tradesman (ongoing in 80s); propertyman for television commercials; newspaper telemarketer (yeech!); bartender; resident manager of 16 unit apartment building; teacher's aide at public high school; (1990s) home improvement handyman (mostly drywall and plastering installation, finishing, painting and repairs); technical illustrator; technical aide; associate technical staff; database technical software engineer; (Current) senior multi-discipliany systems engineer.

I've never been paid to play music - but that won't stop me from playin!

Rick
#6February 10th, 2008 · 08:51 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hmmm!
-Regional Maintenance manager for the Gap in New York City.
-Sales rep for surfing and scuba diving gear for Puerto Rico and Virgin islands.
-Receiving and Facilities manager in bed bath and Beyond.
-The Costellos band (Although income was low I still made enough to have to file taxes on it)
-Music scoring and performance for several music theater plays.
-Miscellaneous carpentry ,plumbing ,dry wall and electrical work.
-I currently work in UAMS (University/Hospital)in physical plant.That would mean repairs,demolition,carpentry, painting etc...
Some other stuff but I can't remember well.
I think a fast food place once for two weeks and selling newspaper adds for a sports section.

M.
#7February 10th, 2008 · 01:04 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
Interesting stuff!  okay - here goes my list:

-peach picker
-busgirl in a tea-room
-night maid at a hotel (can I turn down your bed for you? - Geez!)
-bartender
-singing telegram
-photographer at a modeling agency
-professional fund raiser
-employment recruiter
-ladies clothing store clerk
-busker (does that count - I did make money!)
-human resources manager
-teacher
#8February 11th, 2008 · 02:21 AM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
hmm how could I start? by older to newer, by income, nah 

well, I'm actually student, I´m studying the master in sciences and art for the design, in the area of territory research and management.

I work as freelance doing localization and market studies

I'm teacher too: Maths, Economics and International Markets

I was researcher assistant in a public university

I worked as operations consultant in  a coffee shop franchise

I've never worked as a musician, but I received pay a couple of times for playing

dodo
#9February 11th, 2008 · 06:48 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I started working for Dad's construction on weekends and summer vacations from school from 12 till 16 yrs. of age.  At 16 I went to work in a grocery store as a stock boy.  Worked there until I graduated early from high school. Worked full time for him then until I went to college, then part time.  I have worked in construction for years,  I also took some years off and did nothing but play music (back when you could get gigs at clubs for 5-6 nights a week.  Did some touring with that band (agents were pretty good,liars all of em, but pretty good at keeping us working for decent money).  That went away and I went back to school for computers, have yet to work in the computer field though.  I have had a class A cdl  since I first went to work full time in 1978.
Now I drive a commercial truck , I make as much money as most computer programmers I know.  I am not stuck in a office, things change for me daily.  I like it.  I am working on finishing up audio engineering (pro tools) classes ,and hopefully can go to work in a local studio ( I know some of the owners so I may have a in). .

oh and I am out gigging with a couple of bands  .. make an extra 6 to 10k a year having fun .  

JOB =  Jackass Of Boss or  Just Over Broke ...
#10February 11th, 2008 · 07:59 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
WORK
This reminds me something

toastedgoat wrote…
JOB =  Jackass Of Boss or  Just Over Broke ...

virus and some advice

I just want you to be aware there is a dangerous virus being passed around electronically, orally, and by hand. This virus is called Worm Overload Recreational Killer (WORK). If you receive WORK from any of your colleagues, your boss, or anyone else via any means DO NOT TOUCH IT.

This virus will wipe out your private life completely.

If you should come into contact with WORK, put your jacket on and take two good friends to the nearest grocery store. Purchase the antidote known as Work Isolating Neutralizer Extract (WINE) or Bothersome Employer Elimination Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system. You should forward this warning to five friends. If you do not have five friends, you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your life.

AND:

FIVE BEST THINGS TO SAY IF YOU GET CAUGHT SLEEPING AT YOUR DESK:

5. "They told me at the Blood Bank this might happen."

4. "This is just a 15 minute power nap they raved about in the time management course you sent me to."

3. "Whew! Guess I left the top off the Whiteout. You probably got here just in time."

2. "Did you ever notice sound coming out of these keyboards when you put your ear down real close?"

And the NUMBER ONE best thing to say if you get caught sleeping at your desk...

1. Raise your head slowly and say, "...in Jesus' name, Amen."
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 12:05 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.