#1January 15th, 2008 · 08:59 AM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
Gig myths
Hello ampers! happy new year

I was reading the tostedgoat's review about his gig and he inspired me to write this lines about the "gig myths".

Sometimes doesn't matter where you are, the gigs have a special magic and, of course, many myths behind. We've seen the documental videos of our favorite artist and when we gig we want to live similar things, unfortunatelly, for the simple mortals as us, not always happen as it suppossed to.

so here are a part of those myths:

Myth #1: The musician just do music for the gig

False!! The musician always have stuff inconveniences, and must solve it just before the show. Could be the chords, the electric power, the monitores or something else.
If you think you'll arrive to the gig just to play music, sorry you're wrong.

Myth #2: You can't play under the rain
False too! Some years ago I was playing in a gig, and suddenly started to rain as I never imagine. I turn my head to see my band mates and I could read "what the heck" in his faces. We keep playing, the audience keep on dancing-jumping-singing and anybody of the 1,000 get hurt by an electrical discharge.
The damage is in the chords, not in the amp systems. You may get a cold, but even if don't rain

What myth you want to develate??

dodo
#2January 15th, 2008 · 10:50 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
More Gig Myths / Truisms
1. band members don't move gear...hahahahah unless your a big name act ..your gonna be humpin gear.
2. This is mind boggling fact but the very same gear you humped into the club or gig at 6pm (or whenever) weighs twice as much at the end of the night.  I know it's a weirdness that happens to your gear that causes gravity to increase to double the weight at the end of the show.  LOL

3. Agents never ever ever double book a venue, also you'll always get paid even if does ever happen.. hahahah

4. Myth, new guitar strings won't break at a gig.

5. Agents speak in tongues.. just a couple of towns over form where your at now = 780miles

6. after bar owner says he doesn't have rock bands in his club it is strictly country western music....phone call to agent ...agent says that is pure B.S that he books lots of rock bands in there... patrons back the bar owner.

7. Getting a amp or piece of equipment cleaned,worked on, retubed ,whatever, guarantees that it will surely break down at the very next gig.

8. Big Myth  every one is going to love your music .....I look at it like this  1/3 will like it, 1/3 will hate it, 1/3 could care less but will come to every gig if you keep having the hot girls dancing around on the dance floor.

9. this is in re: to playing in the rain..I have seen it done ..but I know someone who got struck by lightning at a outdoor gig. Teedro knows him too, they used to work for the same sound production co.  I think I will unplug and cover any of my electrical gear just to be safe, and seek shelter too if  bad storm.

10 truism .. every and I mean every gig has some kinda of  problem to overcome .

That is goats top 10
(watched David Letterman)
#3January 16th, 2008 · 04:29 AM
1 posts
Belgium
Myth: the man of the sound production always knows what he's doing. I could tell a lot of stories about this.

Another myth: when no-one tells you there will be stage, doesn't mean there will be one. We once had this gig of which we didn't really know what to expect, and it turned out to be an outdoor gig, without a real stage.

And another one: people never organise a gig in a room where the sound sucks big time.
#4January 16th, 2008 · 11:06 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Don't trust the in-house DJ.  Between sets of classic rock, I've had the DJ blast Missy Elliot and Kanye West.  Talk to him to see if you can have some kind of flow as you alternate sets.

Don't trust bassists.  They forget.  To play, to play correctly, etc. etc.
Don't trust drummers and lead guitarists.  They turn up their instruments too loud.
Don't trust vocalists and rhythm guitarists.  They don't turn theirs loud enough.

If you're going to have a solo battle on-stage, discuss it before.  It looks cool and can really, really work, but pick a key and rhythm.  There's nothing worse than two guitarists fighting for attention using different tempos and keys.  And also, you're not Steve Vai, so get your drummer and bassist to lay down a beat and maintain it.  It will keep you in check.

I didn't phrase them as myths, but you can use your imaginations.
#5January 16th, 2008 · 05:03 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Gig myths
Nice Thread DODO!!

Where Do you start.........?

I Start with 2 Biggies!!!!

1.  'It'll be all right on the night'........ Whoever says this don't ever believe them.....It Wont!!!

2.  'A cheque is OK Guys???'.................especially after midnite

Swordfish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 2:43 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.