Best advice for noobs
Ok look guys our band is going to play at my school's talent show
this year and the fack is we have never played in front of more
than 5 or 6 people probably less than that and then our first gig
we play in front of 550 or 600 people !!!!!!! geez!!!!!  nobody in the
band has said anything but I myself am very scared becasue I will
be singing!!!!!! our school is also doing a play and im in it and have
to sing so i think that will help me alot!!!! but do you guys have any
advice!!!!!like reall advice not just imagine everyone naked!!!!
thanks in advance!!!!
                                                       MUSIC IS LIFE
                                                             SS
#2August 29th, 2007 · 11:46 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
You will be fine, get as much practice as you can.

Allow at least an hour for you to set up, sound check etc. make sure your comfortable with it.

It makes no difference on the size of the audience, you are at an advantage in that the audience knows you, they will be cheering you on.

Denis
#3August 29th, 2007 · 12:26 PM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
visualize success
1 know the music ..practice it till you can do it without thinking  to much about it, our band goes by this ...if your thinking your stinking.......not literally but, when playing in front of a crowd there is a certain nervousness that needs  to be channeled into  energy,...it's hard to do that if your thinking about making mistakes or not knowing a song, or passage well enough.

2 Be rested and try to be relaxed as best as possible    take about 10 real deep breaths (forced inhale and exhale)
do this it helps to relax... stretching also helps it relieves tension and causes increased blood flow.
    b.  warm up your voice before you go on ..sing some scales or run through part of a song  Don't drink anything  real cold (it'll constrict the muscles) most teachers tell you to drink slightly cool or room temp water (yuck).

3 the big one ...Visualize Success in your show...... See yourself having a successful show...imagine how you want yourself to come across  then shake any anxiety about right or wrong or what other people think and just  do it .....confidence sells itself.. if  you believe the audience will believe.

4  Finally  just relax and have fun ..if you enjoy singing and want to show it off,  this is the payoff for all that  hard work and practice so  relax and enjoy the  "fruits of your efforts"

5. This is not really part of the getting rid of the nerves but  I take it this is a talent show and others will be performing ?...If so set up and tear down time will probably be crucial ...I have seen lots of times (a few in my own bands) when set up time screwed a band up.  Make sure that every one is practiced at this part ..know where the guitar cables  are at and that the guitars are tuned and ready.. amps are plugged in and if  split rigs or racks that the speaker cabs are in and your getting the sound you want.. drummers don't lose your drum keys and or sticks...ect ect... part of being a good band is pro attitude about being prepared ..not just musically but in all other aspects..  guitar cables should be in perfect working order ....picks should be where you know where they are at.. our band even brings sweat rags and towels as part of our equipment..  I know this sounds anal but I have done quite a few battle of the bands and some large venue stuff (opening up)  I know first hand that some shows got screwed up because a guitar player  forgot to plug in a cabinet (the one the mic was in front of)... a lost guitar strap did a number one time..   bad guitar cable another..    So check your gear and make sure you can set it up and tear it down in a fast time frame....It will ease the stress level

oh yeah if using wireless stuff or battery powered stomp boxes make sure to put in new batteries and check it to make sure they are working ..

hope this helps some
#4August 31st, 2007 · 08:28 AM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
thanks guys you've really calmed my nerves allot
Im just gonna know the music and visualze success!!!
#5August 31st, 2007 · 05:33 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
A Jim once said to me that an artist must distance them selves from the crowd, enough I presume to still be able to interact with them when you want.
From that point of view, practice is essential, you then get your show right and thus give your show right where the crowd want it really, up there in performance heaven!  
Knowing that you can do what you want to do is half the battle, the other half is doing it!
Have a good one!
#6August 31st, 2007 · 07:21 PM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
it's all fun!
There's nothing to be scared off!
I know it sounds easier to say than done but remember why you do that in the first place!
First the people who's gonna come to see you can't do what you do. being on stage is one of the best feeling ever and it's reserve for a very few so enjoy any moment of it and feel like a rock star cause that's where it start!
A lot of practice help but don't worry you get the girls the dr*gs and the rock and roll
#7September 2nd, 2007 · 05:40 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
well the show is manditory for all
students lol so since we have a captive
audience we might as well go for it!!!!
i mean the worst that can happen is we
suck.... but we would have so much fun
i dont think any of us would care!!!!
thanks guys!!!
#8September 2nd, 2007 · 06:31 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
its a long way 2 the top ifya wanna rock&roll
Gold mate gold is what you're getting here.
Lucky you ....captive audience.
And an anecdote from the vault

.... gig lotsa industry types We were about 2 go on ....big break time.
Manic Lead singer so panic ed yo stressed out, twangs a tendon  in his back .....ugh 
Quick hot liniment gel ,says I .apply to injury ....Whoa man I can feel that he says hot.
Common We're on in 2min
*#^+   I gotta pee says I bolting 4 the toilet.
Do the business ,zip up , wash hands ,and head for the stage.
Start playing .........then  >>>
Yep a sensation like I ain't kid din took me to the other side , you get what I'm saying here amigos .
 barbecued squab.
Kinda worked for me in a bizarre way though...funny
We got signed that night.

But My take on this relates to hair and clothes and personal hygene .....put on a show or as the Beatles were told when they played Hamburg Mach Show.
& By all means try the liniment it will definitely ad a new dimension to your performance.
And remember ....wash your hands b4 and after just to be on the safe side.
And beware of hot groupies ....man they will be all over you...
Now get out there and kik ass.

#9September 3rd, 2007 · 05:14 PM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
Blakhatz that is a great story...I love it!   
Silents once on stage man just go for it!!!
#10September 4th, 2007 · 08:37 AM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
yea I hope my bowels dont just go for it too!!!    
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 3:55 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.