#1August 4th, 2007 · 03:47 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
BANDAMP and the future
What do you see as the future of Bandamp?

I'll tell you what I see; decay.
We've lost our programmer. Thanks to his latest post, I don't actually know if that's really going to be permanent.
This site is riddled with problems and bugs. No one has any idea if the voting system actually works. The battle system is almost nonexistent, and meaningless anyway. People are constantly having difficulties uploading songs (consider the "You've got a song with this name" message).
Due to these and carious other problems, traffic to the site has fallen. The amount of comments in the Audio Review is pitiful compared to earlier days.
The quality of music has even gone down. These days all I ever seem to see is "This is just a little unfinished noodle....." and some totally un-thought-out, minute long synth piece.
Comments have gotten even worse. They all now consist of "Wow I really liked this one" or "This one's not really up my alley". I remember a time when Iszil could write a ten minute song and get pagtes of replies not only telling him how great it is, but giving useful tips and pointing out places where it could be improved. Iszil who, by the way, has been visiting the site less and less frequently.

I don't know what else to say.
#2August 4th, 2007 · 04:10 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
SHAME ON YOU!
I should delete this thread..  You are not paying close enough attention...

Oldies, this site is not in decay, you are in a funk, and spreading your funk.. SHAME ON YOU...

If you get a message of "you already have a song with that name" it is because you put some form of punctuation in your song title, a bracket, or dash, or something like that. You have to be careful not to do that, until after it's uploaded, then you can edit it, and put in the hyphen or whatever you want.. As for the rest, the voting system is supposedly fixed, I have not heard anything to the contrary, and has been fixed for a while now.. a LOOONG while.. there are no REAL major bugs that I know of right now, that would cause me this much concern.. If you aren't feeling happy anymore here, that is something entirely different, and I will tell you that this site is only as strong as it's community, and we are strong.. We have been around a loong time, and seen other slow periods.. that is all this is, a slow period..  but there aren't any wierd bugs or other problems right now.. it seems to be running pretty smooth to be honest..As for the bit about Iszil, he is busy with his band, among other things.. He is no longer a high school kid, he has grown up, and has responsibilities that he must attend to.. His songs have become much improved... so there is less advice to give him.. He has taken the advice he recieved and implemeted it.. Ha has done well...  As for the small posts that only say "wow I like this" well, sometimes that is all that can be said, I try to say as much constructive as possible.. as do most of the true members of the site.. THere have been those though, and this dates back to 2003, the beginning of the site, when people would post "nice" or "like it" just to get the three posts needed to upload their song.. we still have this type of person here, who does not contribute, but simply uploads songs and expects people to comment, and they dont want constructive criticism, they want back patting.. so, we try to smille, pat their back, and tell them what they need to do to make it right.. some stay, some leave.. it's the way it is.. but it isn't decaying, or dying.. so smile.. relax, and go drink a lemonade! )

JimK
#3August 4th, 2007 · 04:26 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
re: SHAME ON YOU!
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
I should delete this thread..  You are not paying close enough attention...

Oldies, this site is not in decay, you are in a funk, and spreading your funk.. SHAME ON YOU...

If you get a message of "you already have a song with that name" it is because you put some form of punctuation in your song title, a bracket, or dash, or something like that. You have to be careful not to do that, until after it's uploaded, then you can edit it, and put in the hyphen or whatever you want.. As for the rest, the voting system is supposedly fixed, I have not heard anything to the contrary, and has been fixed for a while now.. a LOOONG while.. there are no REAL major bugs that I know of right now, that would cause me this much concern.. If you aren't feeling happy anymore here, that is something entirely different, and I will tell you that this site is only as strong as it's community, and we are strong.. We have been around a loong time, and seen other slow periods.. that is all this is, a slow period..  but there aren't any wierd bugs or other problems right now.. it seems to be running pretty smooth to be honest..As for the bit about Iszil, he is busy with his band, among other things.. He is no longer a high school kid, he has grown up, and has responsibilities that he must attend to.. His songs have become much improved... so there is less advice to give him.. He has taken the advice he recieved and implemeted it.. Ha has done well...  As for the small posts that only say "wow I like this" well, sometimes that is all that can be said, I try to say as much constructive as possible.. as do most of the true members of the site.. THere have been those though, and this dates back to 2003, the beginning of the site, when people would post "nice" or "like it" just to get the three posts needed to upload their song.. we still have this type of person here, who does not contribute, but simply uploads songs and expects people to comment, and they dont want constructive criticism, they want back patting.. so, we try to smille, pat their back, and tell them what they need to do to make it right.. some stay, some leave.. it's the way it is.. but it isn't decaying, or dying.. so smile.. relax, and go drink a lemonade! )

JimK
I agree
Even though we are on the slow part of things I still feel the community vibe.Personally I'm having a busy month but Ill fall back into place and I do check in every day but thats me,(LOL)I love this place!
#4August 4th, 2007 · 07:37 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
Hmmm,
I'll quote what a very infamous person once said,
"I'm a Bandamp junkie!!!"  (quote SwordFish)
if anyone is so worried about my contributions
right now, let that person feel free to visit my
humble abode and help with my situation..
if nothing else help me figure out and cure
the problems I'm having with my studio -
recording computer!!! otherwise, I'll keep up
my regular monitoring of the amp about
18hrs a day and trying to figure out the
problems myself, waiting for the guy that
started to install these electrical outlets in
our ceiling, who left wholes in my ceiling,
to come back over when he can and finish
them!!! 

If that's acceptable with Oldies???

Blue

p.s. two of the Jim's have went ahead and
joined the yahoo group..  I believe our
two or three newest members are ones that
I sent from there to join here first! which of
course is the whole reason for the yahoo group
in the first place, for our members to have
a fall back in case we do have a problem with
the server, power outage or something that
rendered the amp down for any period of time,
and in the event that King's blogspot he has
so graciously prepared for us, was to simultaneously
be down as well.. as it was unaccessible for just
a few hours last week.. but I figured that was
when it got it's most recent face lift!!
 So get over to the "bandampgroup" and join
up just where we can see how many serious
ampers there are left!!
#5August 4th, 2007 · 08:34 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
On ure feet or on ure knees.
While there is life there is hope.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

"People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing ......
They give all sorts of advice to save me from ruin."

More music less talk to be honest I don't read lenghty blogs ....rather listen to whats up and playing.
I know we had a moment over the downloads ...but still have to admit bandamp has been so valuable in the development of our material that it's worth it ....really.
Lemonade sounds nice .....twist of lime in mine please.

#6August 4th, 2007 · 09:18 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
Lynchburg Lemonade!!
with a healthy shot of Jack Daniels????
#7August 5th, 2007 · 10:35 PM
14 threads / 9 songs
90 posts
United States of America
Here's my thoughts if anyone cares:
Bandamp is definitely not decaying. I've been on many forums that completely sucked. Why? Because on those forums, the people sucked (at life.) Either I joined the forum and no one ever posted or logged on, or rarely someone logs on, or maybe one person logs on. On another forum I've joined, they pretty much ignore everything you say, even when you know what you're talking about, and only talk to certain people they know and only look up to one person, never really taking a look around seeing what they could learn from others. The worst forum I had ever joined, however, was a forum for art. The artwork was great, the programming was impressive, but the people were...um, you decide after hearing this: I had 1 problem with it where it would not let me post. One. It said I could not post in a sketchbook thread because it was "a double post," even though it would have been my first post. So, naturally, having tried a few times with errors, I posted in the support thread hoping for a fix. I stated it with just the facts, just that phrase "I can not post in a sketchbook thread because it said it was "a double post," even though it would have been my first post. Does anyone know of a fix or something I can do?" A person wrote back: "Put your head between your knees and kiss your a**." That person was an administrator. (Yes, an administrator. And other members of that forum posted similar things under it.) Amazingly quick at canceling my account when I asked them to, though. Long rant short, it's not the programming that makes a forum great, it's the people. That's why I believe this is one of the greatest forums on the Internet, not only for the category of music, but out of all forums. The programming does help, of course, but I don't think bandamp will ever truly die.
But to keep it together, programming would help, so if everyone is so worried, why hasn't there been any action? Isn't there at least one person who knows how this site is programmed; like if it's web-based? Doesn't anybody have access or know how to get access to where they can input code? If so, why not just search for a new programmer? I know a few who might be willing to help, depending on how busy they are, and I know some basic programming, and I'm sure others on this site do as well. So...?
#8August 6th, 2007 · 07:03 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
wow, nice story people in the online world can be very very rude, it's unbelievable.

Anyway Bandamp  - yep it's a great site, it's helped me a lot and I'm still visiting daily, since well I'm a mod after all, have to check out the new posts ofcourse. And I am. Though I'm not always logged in and not posting much, because I don't feel like I have anything meaningful to say, and outside the amp I'm still looking for my muse (kinda dry on inspiration)

Bandamp will continue to exist, got a email from mud this weekend, he says he still hasn't found the time to be on here yet. So I mailed him back about the current developements, that there are members who may be available to help out on the code, if that's the issue.

Muds a busy man, he gotta make a livin' - self employed programmer as he is you can imagine what that might take. I hope he'll post something himself, if not, I'll keep you posted on any news.

Enjoy the Amp! let's not forget. there's great music on here even among the crap I wrote. lol.

cya later....
#9August 6th, 2007 · 07:55 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Thats great news PX you made my day?!!!!!!
#10August 6th, 2007 · 09:28 AM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
United Kingdom
I don't really spend too much time, people on here who know me, know that.

Useful comments are given and tips to recording and composition are here. The help is in this community.
One area which I thought would be more active is the Gear Talk area.
I mean come on, if you buy a new piece of gear post it! See if anyone has it, give your comments. There should be a subsection with reviews on each product and people give their own reviews.

It might even make people inclined to go to their local store and try some stuff out, even just to comment on it.

What the site could do with is a IRC server. People could idle then >.< and it's all real time with no bugs and delay.
#11August 6th, 2007 · 02:28 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
Dude...
aar0j, bro that is so kewl.. about two months ago,
I mentioned a possible Mirc/dalnet channel might
be a big help to ease a few people's minds about
all of this! I know I was about the second or third
to suggest it.. I wouldn't even be so bold as to think
I was the first so I spent a little time and found a
few more! Now you suggest a IRC server..  dude
you rock!! I know great minds think alike..  ;-)
 The fact is all of this is just to help a few people
who get feelings of uncertainty find solidity to hold
on to!  You go Bro!!

Marino,  my sentiments exactly! really did give
a little boost on an otherwise drab monday!!
 Man, hope this finds you and Miss Lisa doin
well!! And that everything is right on schedule
with you guys and Map..  positive meditations
guys!!

Blessings,

Dan - Blue
#12August 6th, 2007 · 03:05 PM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
United Kingdom
What else we could do with is possibly a private ninjam server (using site logins to login) and a ventrilo server/ts server. (better than skype tbh, i like keeping things minimal :p. Vent has Win32/Mac OS but no Linux version (but does for dedicated server).
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:27 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.