#1April 23rd, 2007 · 03:43 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
Do you feel the same way?
Do you guys feel that music has been somewhat downgraded lyrics aren't as meaningful
as the used to be i feel like artist just try to fill up songs on
an album and dont care about the lyrics i think that it comes out
as a better song if you actually care about the lyrics
does anyone feel the same way if so we need to take
back the original maening of music

(ps: i am in no way talking about any aritist on bandamp
     i feel this way about mainstream artists)
#2April 23rd, 2007 · 04:12 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
For Me,
I have been one of those that believed in the
troubadours. That we had stories to tell that
were to account everything from actual events
in history, to legendary fairy tales to entertain.
to share our pain and sorrow, as well as try to
sooth the pains and sorrows of others..
So in answer, Yes... today's music industry
comes off so often as just another one of the
disposable lighter - diaper - marriage culture..
lyrics are no where near as meaningful as
they once were.. and yes that mostly today
the songwriters and publishing companies
are just trying to fill space and/or market
volumes of hard copies, downloads, and
as much to sell these plastic little molded
boy and girl barbie dolls.. Numerous times
over the past years I have heard companies
tell wanna-be artists that they didn't sign anyone
over 24 years old anymore.. thank goodness
that's not true.. but now a days the industry
is an investment of one kind or the other..
takes so much more then it use to even to
see a possible return for any investment, no
matter what form it's in...

bring back the old mtv...

blueyes
#3April 24th, 2007 · 12:23 AM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Blueyes, do you have to write everything on verses? lol

cool.

I think good music stand alone without lyrics, and that a song doesn't have to tell a story to be good... and I don't think mainstream is,in general, music.

And remember Mozart had similar problems to play his music than some of the underground artists today have.

__The nightmare of your analog melancholy, aka Aetheris.
#4April 24th, 2007 · 03:31 AM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
i dont feel the same way.

Its pretty clear to me that music styles and what not have changed but it all still is music and there will ALWAYS be very good meaningful music in any given time, just as there will always be the hollow music that is made to be in your head for a week then you forget about it. I also strongly believe that music isn't different now, than it was in 60s, 70s and 80s (this is the era i think you's are refering to), sure styles have changed, peoples hair has changed , sure they have junk playing now that anyone with any musical knowledge would dismiss as absolute garbage and really truely was made only to last a week and give that artist their million dollars.... but that was around always, there is always the dodgy songs.... only reason why you think that before there was less of it is because you don't REMEMBER all the crap songs, and your not supposed too, your only supposed to remember them for a week, not 30 years... everyone will only remember the timeless ones... the "classics".... beatles, led zepellin, rolling stones, pink floyd and all those

You wait ten years and you think you will ever hear the phrase Pussycat Dolls or 50 Cent..... no, you will probably have more chance of hearing.... pearl jam, nirvana, sigur ros, chili peppers.... it will always be the same and thats why i love it so much.

People do it a lot, it makes them feel as though they lived through the best times and everything after it sucks, why do people say, oh your so much happier when your a teenager... those are the best years! that aint true, whenever something good happens something bad will but when your 40, you only remember the good things in your teenage years and say.... oh those were the days.
#5April 24th, 2007 · 04:17 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Chill wrote…
i dont feel the same way.

Its pretty clear to me that music styles and what not have changed but it all still is music and there will ALWAYS be very good meaningful music in any given time, just as there will always be the hollow music that is made to be in your head for a week then you forget about it. I also strongly believe that music isn't different now, than it was in 60s, 70s and 80s (this is the era i think you's are refering to), sure styles have changed, peoples hair has changed , sure they have junk playing now that anyone with any musical knowledge would dismiss as absolute garbage and really truely was made only to last a week and give that artist their million dollars.... but that was around always, there is always the dodgy songs.... only reason why you think that before there was less of it is because you don't REMEMBER all the crap songs, and your not supposed too, your only supposed to remember them for a week, not 30 years... everyone will only remember the timeless ones... the "classics".... beatles, led zepellin, rolling stones, pink floyd and all those

You wait ten years and you think you will ever hear the phrase Pussycat Dolls or 50 Cent..... no, you will probably have more chance of hearing.... pearl jam, nirvana, sigur ros, chili peppers.... it will always be the same and thats why i love it so much.

People do it a lot, it makes them feel as though they lived through the best times and everything after it sucks, why do people say, oh your so much happier when your a teenager... those are the best years! that aint true, whenever something good happens something bad will but when your 40, you only remember the good things in your teenage years and say.... oh those were the days.

EXACTLY!!!
I was thinking along those lines. There are some real talents in the music industry, but people are more frequently exposed to garbage, and so they don't build up the admiration for higher standards. I would have to say that there has been a turn towards the trashy popular stuff, just for the money. But the people who make the music with all their heart, and they do it for the love of music, then even if no-one buys the music, they can remember that they dared to be different, and have their image intact.
A 20th century composer, Maurice Ravel, believed that there was no place in music for emotion. I couldn't disagree more, although I think the groups like the Pussycat Dolls, and the Britney Spears have no emotion in their music.

There is a lot of good music out there, you just need to sift through the garbage.

WB
#6April 24th, 2007 · 07:52 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
love love me do!
I doubt that anybody would call the beatles a crap band and though we must admit that some of their lyrics are not exactly the most intellectual!
I think that there's always been song that say something and others that were just fun and cheerful
The debate about how good the music was before is often raised by people who weren't there in the magic 60's or 70's or people who forgot what was in the charts at the time
If you dig deep enough you will always find a style of music that will fit your need at any time
Cheesy pop is nothing new it's just not meant to last so we tend to forget about the "horror?" of the past
All I've got to say is "blitztrickbop"
#7April 24th, 2007 · 10:04 AM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
ok guys i geuss you've got me with this descusion I have to agree anyone who says the beatles are crap is on something!!!! The greats will live for ever while the not so great stand and watch in there shadow!!!! RHCP is awesome they are my inspiration!!!!! Thanks guys!!!
#8April 24th, 2007 · 04:33 PM
44 threads / 6 songs
305 posts
United States of America
Vincent has got it.

Music is about capturing a feeling. Bob Dylan isn't going to capture a feeling like he does without his WOW lyrics, however sometimes songs like Smells like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, 1979 by SP, Porcelain or Scar Tissue by RHCP, etc.

It is beautiful when an artist can do both. New and old alike, Corrine Baily Rae pulls it off, Counting Crows do it, some of the more intimate Beatles songs, James Taylor, etc. But not every band or artist can do it, or even needs to.

Music needs meaning. Music is words and lyrics. The lyrics obviously can't suck (except in rare cases where the music is just so ****ing awsome as shown by Blur), but you don't need Bob Dylan lyrics when you've already got the mood captured up in the music itself.

My .02$
#9April 24th, 2007 · 06:04 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
I think
Your all wrong...  And your all right... and your alright for saying it...

In other words, I think that the music has meaning, if it means something to you. And if it don't then that has meaning too!

See what I did there....  Pretty slick...  That is music right there.... Whereas I agree that the new R&B idea of a long song, singing about going to the club with the shorties and what I'ma gunna do to dem wit my bottie slayer isnt in my eyes a meanigful love song, and it is pure crap as far as I'm considered.. But, some people like it, and who am I to tell them what means something to them... 

James Taylor has to be one of the absolute BEST songwriters of our time, combining both incredible musical talent with brilliant lyric. Another incredible songwriter, that actually was a huge influence on Bob Dylan, and was also influenced greatly by Bob Dylan, was Willie Nelson..  Incredible song writer...  Johnny Cash, fantastic, not just with the meaningful lyrics, but with the delivery, Noone really gave Nine Inch Nails "Hurt" a secong glance, until Cash did it, with his style, and his pain, it was incredible...

Music will always have it's greats, as you said, and it will always have it's worsts...  That's the name of the game....

Pink Floyd Said it all, "Welcome To the Machine" BTW, a bit of trivia for ya, Roger Waters, his voice was hosed, and Gilmour didn't want to sing it, it was sung by Roy Harper, He was a Folk singer who was recording down the hall, and Since Waters voice got trashed while recording "Shine on you crazy diamond", They asked him if he would come down and do it for them...

JimK
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 7:38 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.