#1December 21st, 2007 · 11:03 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
Battles
I know they aren't working and such...but...

why are songs from 2006 and 2005 being entered in the battles?

I think,the songs that were made 4 months prior,should not be able to qualify(although they may ahve enough votes)
so since this is December,songs from October can still be able to join;no month sooner.

It's unfair....
#2December 22nd, 2007 · 07:52 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Interesting point

But how are the songs jugged? I think it's the percentage that counts not the amount of votes.

I think also if we were only allowed to enter songs in the month they were created, there would be far less songs
in the battle, it would then be less of a challenge.
#3December 22nd, 2007 · 10:39 AM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Voting=Joke
Yes it is interesting concept...however the battle requirement used to be 20 votes to place.....That was too high and ( not enough songs placing) they lowered it to 15 I believe..still not enough songs placing..the problem isn't when the song was uploaded it's getting people to vote. If you had your 4 month rule implemented there will never be  a song that places again. I'm sure a few exceptions but not many. That's why usually older songs get entered in battles, not only that they've been tweeked and polished and usually are the final version.Voting has always been a problem ever since I've been a member. Sorry I take that back..In 2005 when I first joined allot of songs qualified. The system was working then I guess...Don't hold your breath for any changes on voting or battles..It's been discussed numerous times with nothing to show for it...The only thing I see that FINALLY happened was dropping the vote from 20 to 15.

P.S. Dennis, it does go by percentage but if you don't get the required amount of votes to qualify you don't place.
       So you could have a 90% rating and only 14 votes and a song that gets 15 votes and 80% would place and                                  you would not. Makes sense eh? There was talk of a different way but ya know....Anyways Merry Christmas All!
#4December 22nd, 2007 · 11:01 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
there would be far less songs

yes..

and as i've expressed in the idea + feedback forum recently, i wanted to get some feecback on the matter.  it doesn't seem that anything has happened at all on the thread

i think we've got a great crew of people here on bandamp, for members and for mods/admins alike

but..

i honestly think that we need some people that are strictly dedicated to tackling these problems.

back in the day, Mud and entheon (during their respective time periods of activity) were very active in replying to posts made about issues and ideas.

i think we need some real go-getters (emphasis on the plural) to just step up to the major headache of rewriting bandamp's code into a readable form.. something that can be easily changed in the future interest of implamenting things.

i think the biggest issue with nobody actually doing anything big about these ideas / suggestions is that everybody sort of looks around with that well-I'M-not-really-able-to-do-anything-about-it look.

UNITE, AMPERS!  hot dang.. we need to have a few coding individuals to band together and spend an entire dedicated week to just simplifying and rewriting the code.  it will NEVER sort itself out unless it's all done all at once.  nobody's motivated enough to finish the task by themselves or over a long period of time.  it's simply not fun.  which is exactly why it needs to be tackled in a marathon-like session of rewriting.

so.. this thread was about voting, not about banding coders together..

i agree with the stance BasketCase took, about how we'd get NO songs entering the battles if we made a time requirement.. sadly..
#5December 22nd, 2007 · 02:07 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Motivation!!!
TonightsLastSong wrote…
Denis wrote…
there would be far less songs

yes..

and as i've expressed in the idea + feedback forum recently, i wanted to get some feecback on the matter.  it doesn't seem that anything has happened at all on the thread

i think we've got a great crew of people here on bandamp, for members and for mods/admins alike

but..

i honestly think that we need some people that are strictly dedicated to tackling these problems.

back in the day, Mud and entheon (during their respective time periods of activity) were very active in replying to posts made about issues and ideas.

i think we need some real go-getters (emphasis on the plural) to just step up to the major headache of rewriting bandamp's code into a readable form.. something that can be easily changed in the future interest of implamenting things.

i think the biggest issue with nobody actually doing anything big about these ideas / suggestions is that everybody sort of looks around with that well-I'M-not-really-able-to-do-anything-about-it look.

UNITE, AMPERS!  hot dang.. we need to have a few coding individuals to band together and spend an entire dedicated week to just simplifying and rewriting the code.  it will NEVER sort itself out unless it's all done all at once.  nobody's motivated enough to finish the task by themselves or over a long period of time.  it's simply not fun.  which is exactly why it needs to be tackled in a marathon-like session of rewriting.

so.. this thread was about voting, not about banding coders together..

i agree with the stance BasketCase took, about how we'd get NO songs entering the battles if we made a time requirement.. sadly..

I think it's all down to motivation TLS.

The fact that nobody has taken on the role, means we have to think of a way to motivate someone to do it.
The only way I think is money!!

I would be happy to contribute to BandAMP fund, if say 20 bandAMP members contributed $20, before you know it we could have quite a bit of cash in the pot. to spend on improving the site.

Best Wishes.

Denis
#6December 22nd, 2007 · 05:00 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
hey, i'd contribute.  there needs to be some way for bandamp to accept these sorts of contributions.  and to do it without nagging the members to do it.  something that people can do if they want to, yet won't be in their face all the time.

i know we've got people on here that can't even buy equipment that they want, and so how could we expect them to just hand over money to the website?  

but i'm sure we could get some people together who would be willing to pitch in, like you've suggested, Denis

it's certainly a worthy cause.  not crucial to the existance of the world, or to bandamp, but it's something that we care about!  thus, it's a worthy cause.
#7December 23rd, 2007 · 12:53 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
hey, this guy looks like he'd help.

hey, y'all.  this is my 777TH POST!  I'm amazing.
#8December 23rd, 2007 · 09:06 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TonightsLastSong wrote…
hey, i'd contribute.  there needs to be some way for bandamp to accept these sorts of contributions.  and to do it without nagging the members to do it.  something that people can do if they want to, yet won't be in their face all the time.

i know we've got people on here that can't even buy equipment that they want, and so how could we expect them to just hand over money to the website?  

but i'm sure we could get some people together who would be willing to pitch in, like you've suggested, Denis

it's certainly a worthy cause.  not crucial to the existance of the world, or to bandamp, but it's something that we care about!  thus, it's a worth cause.

OK, so were do we go from here?? need to put up a blog or something and have a donation of some sort thing set up and get approval etc.

Denis
#9December 23rd, 2007 · 03:48 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
i guess we'd have to make some sort of specific decisions about how that money would be spent, too.  (by "we", i refer to whoever would be handling that money, more than likely an admin, like Jim)

clearly it would be used to pay off some people to work on the project, but how much time does into it? how much of that money to how many people?  all the things i prefer not to worry about, but they must be looked after

I think that a post in the Ideas & Feedback forum would be great, and a duplicate post in someone's blog.  And I wouldn't hesitate to say that we could tag the post as one of the newsheadlines that goes up on the front page.

I'd hate to make it an advertising campaign, but we'll want people to be aware of what's up so that people can contribute if they want.  what would be the medium by which the donations would be accepted?  there are several standardized ways, i guess... even if it were just a paypal account opened up for bandamp's programmer funds   I'm not sure how many people outside of ebay use paypal, but hey.  it could be a nice option, for being a good, secure, free service.

any other ideas?
#10December 23rd, 2007 · 05:45 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Like citizen cane's vast warehouse , a dusty  old collection of forgotten & never visited songs strums noodles hacks samples and members.

Where did they go?

Ok crazy suggestion
 4 songs per member at any one time
Members only down load(seen songs with 4 reviews and thousands of plays and hefty dwnloads.
Only fresh material posts accepted  4 battles

Band amp vs the Flying Dutchman.
Seem to recall all this from over 12 months ago.
Battles = 
#11December 23rd, 2007 · 06:37 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TLS : maybe JimK can take your dude in and feed him?
Yea I'd notice the 777 last night! 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 10:29 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.