1 2

#1March 28th, 2007 · 12:46 PM
2 threads
7 posts
United States of America
Is Rock Dead?????
Sure rock today is good but it is not the same sweet sounding rock like the 80's brought out! It seems like today more bands are more about looks than wut they sound like. The thing that i think got them was MTV. After that bands not only needed to sound good but look good to oh how i wish rock would go back to the sweet sounds as the 80's brought out!
#2March 28th, 2007 · 01:54 PM
15 threads / 14 songs
140 posts
United Kingdom
Stagnating a little maybe but there are still some great bands out there doing their thing and the genre as a whole is so much bigger and more diverse than it was back then too. What kind of sweet 80's sounds are you talking about though?
#3March 28th, 2007 · 04:42 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: Is Rock Dead?????
Yes!

Pod On!   
#4March 28th, 2007 · 05:03 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
No . it's not
As long as people like me are still alive and kicking Rock music will live on at least until that point.  The problem lies in that the media and the big record companies tend to focus on the youth instead of a wider group. Most of the people from the early 60's on down to the 30's are rock-n-rollers or have some roots in rock. (Rolling Stones to now, Audioslave, Velvet Revolver and bands like Tool) These people still  must like the stones cause they had sell out crowds there last tour, and I know a bunch of people who like Velvet Revolver and Tool , plus others. The people with the most money are people in there 30's to the 50's.  but they are also the ones less likely to feel the need to go out and buy every cd that just came out.  Most of them have kids and they end up buying the cd's
which are more rap and hip hop oriented.  The largest money makers in the live music scene is still country and Rock music though.  In September I went to the Def Leppard and Journey concert at our out door stadium it was a sell out show ...place was packed.  Unusual for this arena.  And from another post, yes some of the 70's style and 80's style rock music, is making a major comeback right now for some reason.
#5March 29th, 2007 · 01:36 AM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
dude, rock was more about looks back in the 80s..... poison? van halen? hair metal in general? what you see on mtv and is about the looks is not rock, its punk... punk was rock in the 80s but its changed now and its just pretty much garbage altogether now.

Bands that still have the rock edge are definitely kings of leon, the strokes, my morning jacket, incubus and there really are quite a few that are still around.

In my opinion, the 90s produced better rock acts then the 80s, although the 80s had joy division, which are an incredible band, the 90s had pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, chili peppers, nirvana and black crowes and probably a lot of other good ones.

Tool arent really rock though, there something a bit different, maybe nu metal, velvet revolver are definitely rock but audioslave are a very mediocre band.... i like to think that soundgarden were a much much better band, oh and thats another 90s band...
#6March 29th, 2007 · 04:18 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Rock can never die. As long as the guitar remains a popular instrument to play, there will be lover and composers of rock music. It depends on how you "define" rock ofcourse...

Wikipedia says: "Rock is a form of popular music with a prominent vocal melody accompanied by guitar, drums, and often bass. Many styles of rock music also use keyboard instruments such as organ, piano, or synthesizers. Rock music usually has a strong back beat.

Rock music has its roots in 1950s-era rock and roll and rockabilly. In the late 1960s, rock music was blended with folk music to create folk rock, and with jazz, to create jazz-rock fusion. In the 1970s, rock incorporated influences from soul, funk, and latin music. In the 1970s, rock developed a number of subgenres, such as soft rock, blues rock, heavy metal-style rock, progressive rock, art rock, techno-rock, synth-rock and punk rock. Rock subgenres from the 1980s included hard rock, indie-rock and alternative rock. In the 1990s, rock subgenres included grunge-style rock, Britpop, and Indie rock."

So... There... It will be impossible for rock to die... I don't think it will save the world, but it's everywhere... MTV is a massive marketing campaign... It's all about the money, they just go with the easiest-to-be-manipulated flow (which would be urban oriented) and cash in big time. Rock lovers tend to stick with only a couple of bands that they like really well where urban lovers go with the latest hype... It's that simple!
#7March 29th, 2007 · 04:21 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I actually just had to edit the wiki page on rock... changed "syth rock" into "synth rock".
#8March 29th, 2007 · 08:01 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Chill wrote…
dude, rock was more about looks back in the 80s..... poison? van halen? hair metal in general? what you see on mtv and is about the looks is not rock, its punk... punk was rock in the 80s but its changed now and its just pretty much garbage altogether now.

Bands that still have the rock edge are definitely kings of leon, the strokes, my morning jacket, incubus and there really are quite a few that are still around.

In my opinion, the 90s produced better rock acts then the 80s, although the 80s had joy division, which are an incredible band, the 90s had pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, chili peppers, nirvana and black crowes and probably a lot of other good ones.

Tool arent really rock though, there something a bit different, maybe nu metal, velvet revolver are definitely rock but audioslave are a very mediocre band.... i like to think that soundgarden were a much much better band, oh and thats another 90s band...
Dude it's all rock to me. And I do consider Tool Rock (progresseve Rock) So it's still rock I wasn't posting about which decade was the best or trying to define rock in to subgroups or stating which band someone likes over another (that should be a different thread) I was posting that ROCK music either punkROCK, progressiveROCK, heavymetal ROCK, ect. it's still rock music and is alive and kicking man some of the young rock bands out there now are taking it to a new level and new dimension.

I only metioned Audoslave and Velvet Revolver because they are very popular not whether they are a good band.  The post was about .................was rock music still alive.    I easily could have said Chevelle or Soundgarden or Alice IN Chains or , Primus, or on and on and and on ...................all the way back to the people with the vision to start rock music or rock-n-roll music as known back then, because the roots of all of this can go all the way back to old blues artist. 

The thread is is rock music alive I say yes ...like px said  as long as there are guitarist and musicians playing and jamming to rock music it will still be here.
#9March 29th, 2007 · 03:36 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
You can't kill rock n roll...Its always around, blasting from some mid 40 guys car or some 12 year old in to his brothers stash of music...(or uncles in my case so many years ago)It may never be as mainstream as it once was but that does not mean its dead. Tell me if in 40 years if you'll be saying...Ya Fall Out Boy was the shit back in the day.(I could use at least 100 different bands) Thats why rock will never die, its not a fad its comes from your gut and the songs are timeless....I just played Ziggy Stardust and More than a Feeling for my 13 year old son..he was blown away..I also played him some of his favorite artists from last year and he is already thinking its garbage...So ya Rock is not and never will be dead because the pioneers that brought it left us with timeless classics that stand the test of time and weren't manufactured to be popular on TV and enable them to sell clothes, jewelery, perfume or whatever else they can manipulate the kids into buying.Oh......and correct me if I'm wrong...weren't the Rolling Stones the biggest selling tour last year?
#10March 29th, 2007 · 04:18 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
One for the money.....
toastedgoat wrote…
And from another post, yes some of the 70's style and 80's style rock music, is making a major comeback right now for some reason.

Yes! Because they're all skint!!!  

I'm going to a Joan Armatrading concert in a few weeks and she's not the only 'older' act I've noticed giving shows recently.
It could also be that 'if they can' why not!
It must be amazing being a Joan Armatrading or a Phil Collins or a Mick Jagger.

As to whether or not Rock is Dead!
Not yet! 
a) Every thing must change first, like we don't do the Cha-Cha or Charleston when we go out any more, some people do, but generally, no! They were different times, different minds! So in 500 years? I denno! As long as we 'remember' in some way then it will be there.....

b) It lives within all that comes after it!   
#11March 29th, 2007 · 11:23 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
toasted goat, my comment about 80s and 90s was intended towards darkachilles because not only was his question is rock dead but he also happened to say, "what happened to the sweet sounds 80s brought out its all about looks now" thats why i mentioned all those 80s bands that were indeed all about looks. I agree with you toasted goat,

oh and rock rules.
#12March 29th, 2007 · 11:41 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I killed Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But it resurrected and kicked my butt with METAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#13March 30th, 2007 · 04:52 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
kill rock and roll
A song by system of a down.
Rock is not dead, it is in hiding, blended into other forms of music. If people enjoy it so much, then why would it be dead?

Hey Marino, need a help taking on rock? I'll go grab my meat cleaver...  if it's metal rock wants, it will be metal rock gets!

I suppose if I were to describe rock, I would say it's expanding, broadening its horizons to appeal to different audiences, and I'm starting to sound like an English teacher. Rock is the original (starting with cavemen... rock! get it, they use rocks as tools...   oh, that's what I thought too), anyways... it formed other styles of music like metal, punk, alternative, (although not pop, rap or hip hop) even the stuff on the radio that people claim to be crap, rock was the influence (it's still music).

On the cavemen-rock scenario... In the beginning, there was a rock. Well, it looked like a rock, until they found out it was an egg, which one day opened to become the creator of all music.
What was the point of that comment? I urge you to forget that. It's too silly.

Oh, marino, I just thought of another silly little comment, did you kill rock by smashing it down with a bigger rock?
Sorry, can't help myself...

Rock is the mother of all music (pop, rap and hip hop not included, not really music, see?), and it will change, but there will be times, sometimes goat inspired, that bands will go back to the roots of their music and rock like the classics.

Also, random comment, I'm in a random mood, there's this filler article for the school yearbook, what's hot and what's not, I looked at the suggested sheet and in the "hot" column was the word "rap", I felt like being sick. It was in the same column as Wolfmother! (Also, someone dared to put Wolfmother on the "Not" side, I mean, they're the hottest solid rock act in Australia! Whoever did that had no taste in music, probably the same person who wrote down "rap")

Anyways, there's my two cents, hope you got something about what I was trying to say through all the garbage and lame comments.

WB
#14March 30th, 2007 · 07:20 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
the mother of all music....
... is rhythm, not rock! and most likely the first tools to create rhythm with would have been... vocal cords? and body itself?! think of handclaps etc

maybe then someone decided to hit hollow trees with sticks or bones, rocks are not very practical as a instrument. they don't produce a lot of sound at all, maybe tied to the end of a stick like a hammer they would serve as rhythm pounder but they would be too heavy thus too slow for the really quick rhtyhms... and probably wear out the beating surface too quickly too!

so... that kite don't fly!
#15March 30th, 2007 · 07:40 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
chill :
I was in a weird mood when I wrote that. lol.  I was listening to my favorite band KANSAS, and had just finished listening to Steve Morses' Southern Steel album ,thinking, how so many kids today are probably never going to know this great music.. Or the bands like Genesis, or Yes, because,... and stated before,.... the TV sells and markets things targeted for a younger group. ....I'm about to tell them kids if you want me to buy it,.. your gonna get this..... Kansas, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Bad Compay, SuperTramp, Triumph, Beatles,The Who, Elton John, David Bowie, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Buffalo Springfield, CCR, Allman Bros. Lynard Skynard, Frank Zappa, The Tubes,The Isley Bros, Peter Frampton, Bob Dylan,Bob Segar, Bruce Springsteen, Chicago,( and these are just the popular one not even all the underground ones like Sex Pistols, Ramones, Captain Beyond ect)  ect.ect. ect.,.... first,..... then I'll get you want you want you want but........ not Snoop Dog. LOL     Edit That way even if they don't like it or want it I will take it and have my own collection. Muahahahahahhah. 

Like Kings wrote about the changing of times.......Yes it will probably happen  it's not dead yet,.. but when the people  that are in there teens now. are 60. I don't see that rock music is going to be around much longer .

In a hundred years, they probably will be studying our music in colleges, just like we do the classical, and jazz,folk and other music of our ancestors.    
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 12:19 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.