#1August 5th, 2005 · 06:15 AM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
I want some rock music! (please)
Heylo,
I love some of the stuff on here  and I was just wondering if anyone has a rock/punk/ska song that I could write lyrics for and add vocals to?

I just wanna get an idea of what I sound like with a band you see, my songs are all kinda girly and done on my own so its hard for me to determine if my voice is strong enough for a decent rock sound, cause sometimes when girly female voices sing 'rock' it just doesn't fit.

Unfortunatly my voice is very little girlish and I don't want to be accused of trying to be another Avril Lavingne because I hate her.
...Actually her voice is probably less girly than mine... But I wanna have a go!

Anywho...please please please let me know if you can help me!
I'll be you're bestest friend forever!

Thankyou!

Amy
#2August 5th, 2005 · 06:57 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
(bump)
i'm bumping this thread, b/c i posted on the "Must See" thread.  i wanted your post to be at the top, if i could help it

i'm not sure i can really help you out here.  i'd LOVE to, but i don't have enough time to begin something like that, and i don't have the instruments to attempt to, despite the fact that it's my favorite sort of gendre to make music for.

hope all goes well for you!
#3August 5th, 2005 · 08:16 AM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of songs that have a couple of lyrics to them, or none at all, that i could send over. May take some time to record however, i'm quite busy over the weekend. Would be a great!
#4August 7th, 2005 · 08:25 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Try singing Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig In the Sky" off The Dark Side of the Moon.  If you can do that, you don't have to worry about having a wimpy voice.
#5August 8th, 2005 · 06:16 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
If you've got a good microphone and a good "sound guy" you should be able to sing in a whisper and still be heard over a rock band

your voice will be "strong enough" if you train it

I will write a vocal technique tutorial soon. Look for it in the muic theory forum

don't worry about being girly, you are a girl so it would be rather discomforting if you sounded like a man... in this case sounding girlie is a good thing

people will listen to your songs and they'll be able to evaluate for themselves what you sound like, don't pigeon hole yourself into having a "girlie" sound

with that said, sorry that i don't have any music for you, but it's rather obvious that there are more than enough people who would love to write your music here on bandamp
#6August 21st, 2005 · 05:24 AM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
i just thought of a couple things regarding this:

one, you seem quite capable of writing your own rock'n'roll, so maybe what you actually want is a real band. Go out there and get one, they can be tough to find but a person like you shouldn't have much trouble.

two, use other people's rock bands until you can find your own. The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones are some of the most classic and talented songwriters in existence and regardless of whether you like them, a thorough study of all their material can only make you better as an artist.

The Beatles in particular would be a group which I consider almost mandatory to study, but then again I am biased. Do as you wish... but if you want some pre-written rock'n'roll at your finger tips look no further.
#7December 5th, 2005 · 05:17 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Entheon's advice is very good, but I'm afraid he forgot to recommend one band, which is, of course, If you havn't guessed by now, I'm stalling, Led Zeppelin.
#8December 5th, 2005 · 06:44 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
I'm pretty sure that she asked for PUNK rock not rock n roll.
Therefore the bands you suggested maybe don't need to be "studied" as of yet but maybe at a later stage.
Study the 80's punk rock scene, first band that comes to my head are the pixies.
#9December 5th, 2005 · 08:50 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
listen, if your trying to improve your voice, there is absolutely no point in "studying" 80's punk.

entheon was right on, and Oldies324 was right about Led Zeppelin; I think Robert Plant's vocals could serve as a valuable gauge for where you are right now, and possibly to measure your potential.

Other, non-Zeppelin tunes would be better for practice, and training your voice to sing rock... but Plant's lyrics are at once tough and flamboyant. A female vocalist could truly express herself singing Zeppelin.

Now, I like punk too, particularly Bad Religion... Greg Graffin's solo album American Lesion shows that he actually trained his voice, but that doesn't mean he can't shout, scream, etc.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 7:30 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.