#1January 30th, 2007 · 06:22 PM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
Music and the soul
I was thinking today(after a cup of tea and few speciel rolleys) when I was going though a depressive stage about a year ago, I played a lot of guitar to tame my soul slightly.
Playing an intrsument is really really good for the soul. For some reason that never clicked with me. Even as I was doing it.
Why is that. Is it spiritual, like the fact that the music I was playing reflected my feelings and that, in some way, relaxed my soul. Or is it just something to do with the mind concentrating helps it deal with stuff easier...
Just thought it might nice to natter about,
KI
Edit; I suspect I have spelt soul incorrectly all the way through this...
#2January 30th, 2007 · 07:01 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Singing is good for the soul! Literally!
So you should sing often, you'll see! If you do that is!
It's like laughing therapy/meditation, where a group of people gather together and laugh for 20 minutes, I went to see a group in Amsterdam once, they were dead funny! But then I suppose they would be wouldn't they?
#3January 31st, 2007 · 01:52 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Music is good for the soles, if you know how to dance...

And it can go both ways really. It depends on what you want to achieve, playing an instrument can surely help you relax. In fact I have often wondered how I would have dealt with certain "episodes" of my life if I wouldn't have been making music (episodes of anxiety, depression, or sheer boredom). And I really find it difficult to imagine what a life without music would be like... Still there are quite a few people out there who have no interest in music in any way, their music collections are, if at all present, very limited and their radios are only switched on for the news. And they do not seem to get bored or extra grumpy at all, contrary to some over-ambitious musicians who have been trying for years only to find that they've grown old and alienated to the point of medication prescriptions ().
#4January 31st, 2007 · 02:13 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
play music for the music
To me playing music is about the music, not ego, or making it, or any of that stuff. Yeah we like recognition, and hopefully,  appreciation for our efforts. But I don't  believe that any of my efforts will end up an a gold album or anything. I like to play music for the sake of the music,  I  keep studying and  learning more about the things I'm most passionate about. It's soothing to the soul, and it can be a pick me up if your down  thing.

Music is the one of the main  reason the movies and TV shows are good (think about the tension that music puts into the exciting parts) 

So if your 60 and playing bluegrass or jazz or whatever or  7 and on   page 6 of your first music book, music can hold something soulful  in it for those of us drawn to it.

mho
#5January 31st, 2007 · 06:34 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
i started playing(learning) guitar when i got stuck in life too, i practiced everyday on my acoustic and forgot about life, work or relations which troubled me and it really cheered me up when 'suddenly' i was able to play the guitar, write songs etc. It became my new goal in life and i quit jobs for it so i could make more music, started a band and rehearsed my ass off. I had a passion!

I always thought it had to do something with vibrations (especially with the acoustic you get all the vibes straight to your body) which relaxed me.(think of musical therapy)
music goes straight to the soul, does not pass the brain to think about it, you just get in that mood, especially when it is played loud, you can not resist to that (i read.)
i guess i should have had heavier depressions to make it to professional musician ,

Now i have a decent job and not so much trouble in life and still i am addicted to making music for pleasure
It's something you dont need anybody for, just an instrument and there you go, off the world, into the music, and i'm feeling fine. Though I was over ambitious once(PX), I dont need medication(never did), i need music!

Also the last few years the amp does contribute to that btw. so tnx to Bandamp and all ampers!
I make music, so i exist.

#6January 31st, 2007 · 11:18 AM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
I make music, so i exist.
Spot on. I'd sing all day long if I couldn't get to a guitar (and have done on many ocasions).
I write music because I can't help it. Today I was at work and got some lyrics in my head and just had to write them down. I knew there was a high possibility I was gonna read them later and think, ".....nah", but that wasn't the point.
*looks at lyrics*

As it happens, I quite like them.

Anyway, I love that feeling when you get so excited, those little bursts of inspiration. Picking up a guitar and playing the solo that was just in your head and realising it's too hard to play. So you just keep playing till your fingers give in and do as you tell them
Isn't much that beats that rush.
#7January 31st, 2007 · 03:57 PM
2 threads
14 posts
Canada
I agree perfectly with toastedgoat's statement of:
 "To me playing music is about the music, not ego, or making it, or any of that stuff. Yeah we like recognition, and hopefully,  appreciation for our efforts. But I don't  believe that any of my efforts will end up an a gold album or anything."
I am the same way. I haven't been playing guitar very long, and yet it's almost all I ever want to do. I play sax as well, and anything musical I can get my hands on. I can't explain why, it just feels right. There's something deep about playing, and knowing you're making the sounds that you hear. Anyways, I guess all we can hope for is that this passion never dies in us. That we all always have the same love for it. We may sacrifice alot, but what would our lives be if we didn't?
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 12:16 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.