#1February 26th, 2013 · 02:10 AM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Why I'm so passionate about music (a bit of back story)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00k4s9z/Your_World_Always_Hope_Cambodias_New_Music/

Recently ran into this BBC program about the revival of originality and exploration in Khmer/Cambodian music.
It made me very very emotional.

Before I was born in California during the early 80s, my parents were part of a conflict that engulfed much of southern Asia.  You might have seen something in a movie or read or heard something about The Killing Fields, a tragedy and communist movement that killed 2 million Cambodians.  The targets were all the intellectuals, the wealthy, the politicians, and the talents.  My grandma allowed my dad to marry my mom because he still had all his limbs.  That was a plus considering many people lost their arms and legs to landmines.  After being locked down in a concentration camp for 3 years, my parents and 2 brother were able to flee to Thailand and find their way to Utah by being sponsored by an extremely generous family who paid for my family's airfare.

In my family culture, and even Cambodian culture in general, being adventurous with music isn't really accepted well.  Tradition music lives on, but not many of our youth are interested in music outside of Cambodia.  Being born in California and being an American (hot dogs and all) has left me with a lot of curiosity about music.  My parents understand that I am passionate about music but don't think it's a great career choice.  I should be a doctor, or a pharmacist, or a businessman, they would say. 

I'm trying to break through the boundaries of my culture and show that creativity is valuable beyond the monetary context.  I'm not trying to be a rock star.  I'm just trying to show that creativity can come from anywhere and art is wonderful for the soul and enriches life.

I don't know where music will take me, but I hope to one day spark creativity back in my cultural homeland and add to this musical revival that's slowly coming back to Cambodia.

It's quite a rant!  If you manage to read down to here, I appreciate your time!

~ Harry
#2February 26th, 2013 · 02:25 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Yes UCA passion, will & love, are the core ingredients for success and wait for it................FUN!!
You see having success is a short term buzz, having fun can be forever. So maybe share your Success and FUN with your culture and the WORLD.
Keep up the good work and have lots of  FUN
#3February 26th, 2013 · 01:22 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
That is an incredible story amigo...I wish you all the best!
#4February 26th, 2013 · 06:04 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Why I'm so passionate about music (a bit of back story)
UndercoverApple wrote…
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00k4s9z/Your_World_Always_Hope_Cambodias_New_Music/

Recently ran into this BBC program about the revival of originality and exploration in Khmer/Cambodian music.
It made me very very emotional.

Before I was born in California during the early 80s, my parents were part of a conflict that engulfed much of southern Asia.  You might have seen something in a movie or read or heard something about The Killing Fields, a tragedy and communist movement that killed 2 million Cambodians.  The targets were all the intellectuals, the wealthy, the politicians, and the talents.  My grandma allowed my dad to marry my mom because he still had all his limbs.  That was a plus considering many people lost their arms and legs to landmines.  After being locked down in a concentration camp for 3 years, my parents and 2 brother were able to flee to Thailand and find their way to Utah by being sponsored by an extremely generous family who paid for my family's airfare.

In my family culture, and even Cambodian culture in general, being adventurous with music isn't really accepted well.  Tradition music lives on, but not many of our youth are interested in music outside of Cambodia.  Being born in California and being an American (hot dogs and all) has left me with a lot of curiosity about music.  My parents understand that I am passionate about music but don't think it's a great career choice.  I should be a doctor, or a pharmacist, or a businessman, they would say. 

I'm trying to break through the boundaries of my culture and show that creativity is valuable beyond the monetary context.  I'm not trying to be a rock star.  I'm just trying to show that creativity can come from anywhere and art is wonderful for the soul and enriches life.

I don't know where music will take me, but I hope to one day spark creativity back in my cultural homeland and add to this musical revival that's slowly coming back to Cambodia.

It's quite a rant!  If you manage to read down to here, I appreciate your time!

~ Harry

enlightened fish
what a strong family history u have  ....and the horror is so recent ...all in my lifetime
go for it and spark on ....

q ? anyway we can get a few Cambodian links up ??? this site very ameri/euro centric

the fish
#5February 26th, 2013 · 06:04 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
You could just carry on ranting as far as I'm concerned, that is one amazing story you carry with you.
Then again maybe leaving it as a short rant is fine and put your energy into your conviction ...  explore, uncover and create and most of all keep on pushing your dream.
For someone who claims that making new music is not part of your culture you are certainly proving them wrong, you are a very talented being.
I say DO try and become a 'rock star', DO try and make a difference and DO try and show the people of your 'cultural homeland' WHAT is possible and that IT IS possible.
Dont loose sight of your goal, your work with Emie I know is excellent, get your self to that interview next time , with some more excellent work ... the slightest spark is enough to ignite a ferocious fire ....  something real to show the folks back home! 
You may not become a doctor but may yet heal many wounds and many souls

Blessed be matey, glad your around
#6February 27th, 2013 · 12:08 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Thanks for reading guys   In the past few years I've posted up work in Cambodian forums and most of it was not well received.  This place is pretty much only forum I frequent now because the creativity here is phenomenal!  No offense to the other places I've tried to become a member of, but all they want is "How do I make my BEAT LOUDER?" and "WUB WUB DUBSTEP WUB WUB!"  Cheers to everyone here!
#7February 27th, 2013 · 02:42 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Like a young girl who is raped and then given 100 lashes to 'punish' her , a whole country can be left SO poor when extremists take over and destroy whole cultures.
I'm listening to the radio program at your link above .... fucking hell people are sick. SO much pain it's simply impossible to fathom.
Yet this story is one of hope .... you should be there, it must be so exciting.

I was in South Africa in 1990, three months after Nelson Mandela was freed ..... the feeling I get from the radio recording is similar to then .... an excitement, people moving, putting different ideas into movement.
A lot is done by Westerners and outsiders, either doing their bit trying to contribute or trying to grab a piece for themselves, but it makes no difference as long as there is movement in the right direction. 

You know that your a part of this story Harry, keep on doing what you do best, use the internet, and even from afar you can still contribute.
Even if you do say you've tried and had dismissive reactions, it's going to take years to 'open up'. And it is through educating and simply showing the possibilities that these realities slowly take shape.

And now back to the music .... nothing wrong with a bit of WUB WUB matey !
#8February 27th, 2013 · 04:05 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
UndercoverApple wrote…
Thanks for reading guys   In the past few years I've posted up work in Cambodian forums and most of it was not well received.  This place is pretty much only forum I frequent now because the creativity here is phenomenal!  No offense to the other places I've tried to become a member of, but all they want is "How do I make my BEAT LOUDER?" and "WUB WUB DUBSTEP WUB WUB!"  Cheers to everyone here!
Keep at it, so long as you have some of the Cambodians on your side you have room to grow - Your passion will get the better of the negative, just you see - Belief is everything - I believe in YOU!
#9February 28th, 2013 · 10:10 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Thanks Kings and Denis! 

@ Denis, if I ever heal up and can afford to make it out to London, I'll be hitting you  and Swordfish up
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 6:33 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.