#1January 4th, 2007 · 07:05 PM
1 threads
6 posts
Canada
start a band
i want to start a band but i dont know how. i mean..i dont know how to find people who want to.  i keep writing lyrics but i never get to play them anywhere but my house.
#2January 4th, 2007 · 07:42 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Well, Word of mouth works...If your in school pass the word along your interested in starting a band, tell them your influences and what your style will be like...Guitar shops usually have a place you can post lookin for adds....Any of your friends musically inclined? Try reading your lyrics to them see if it does it for them. Local gigs at bars, alot of starting out musicians like to watch others who are just starting out as well. Maybe you'll get lucky and a band will be lookiong for a lyricist who plays guitar(Im guessing thats what you play) Good Luck!
#3January 4th, 2007 · 09:25 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
local scene magazines
Not sure where your from but some places have a local scene magazine that does bar ads and music reviews. they usually have a section in the back for classified ads. You could look there, or online for a local musician seeking musicians web page. We have one here called Bandmix.  Jam sessions are also good. There are clubs that have open jam nights for anyone to set in and some times there are open jams on the weekends at community centers.

As basketcase stated earlier music stores usually have a bulletin board for bands looking for musicians or musicians looking for bands. Hope this helps some and good luck.
#4January 5th, 2007 · 07:33 PM
1 threads
6 posts
Canada
thanks for the ideas guys. i hope it works!! thad be soo awsome if i could find one of those local magazines for people to post ads here. im sure i could advertise at school somewhere....wootwoot  
#5January 7th, 2007 · 02:45 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
what kind of band are you looking to start? I love unusual bands..... im starting one with two bass players. we still need a vocalist and a guitarist, though.
#6January 8th, 2007 · 07:30 AM
6 threads
138 posts
India
Oldies324 wrote…
I love unusual bands..... im starting one with two bass players.

two bass players.............wow now that's something
#7January 8th, 2007 · 11:25 AM
1 threads
6 posts
Canada
im trying to start a rock/pop band. im gona try to get two electric guitars, drums, a vocalist of course and an acoustic. 
#8January 9th, 2007 · 09:42 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Hey oldies, you should try and get two drummers also  . And twister, I'm not in a band yet either, and the others have good advice, also, I would probably go with a spread the word approach, also, I kind of have an idea who would want to start a band, like friends etc...

I would like to have a band with an electric, bass, drums, acoustic and a xylophone (or piano, or even cello or violin) + vocals by one of them (not as an extra person).

Which makes me think, maybe we should start a forum discussing people's dream/ unusual/ ultimate bands they want.
#9January 10th, 2007 · 06:20 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
I want to start a band with two vocalists (one Cobain and one Dickinson), one solo-guitarist (me) and two rhythm-guitarists, one drummer, one bassist/keyboardist and one percussion/backing vocals...
And we're all gonna have a personal costume! 

And the name...... Clowns From Hell!!!  
#10January 14th, 2007 · 04:01 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
There are a few problems with the 'spread the word' approach, which is why I haven't done it.
It's just, there are some people who you don't want to be in your band, either because you simply dislike them or they stink at whatever instrument they're trying to play. Maybe it's just me, but I hate saying no to people. I'd rather just search around quietly.

And yeah. Two basses is gonna be something. It'll be really challenging to write music. And do covers. And learn to play together and not kill each other. But it'll be freakin' cool if we succeed.

The name of the band; The Alkalies. If English isn't your first language, don't worry if you don't get the joke.
The Alkalies are a group of elements on the periodic table that are all bases, as opposed to acids.
(cause we have 2 basses, get it?)

Other suggested names were; Acid and the Basses, Band in the Bassment, and I can't remember any others.
ah well. This post is long enough already.
#11January 14th, 2007 · 10:29 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
lol oldies, I agree about the hating to say no, I know two people, a guitarist, and a bassist, who have trouble reading music, and they've been learning for about 3 or 4 years, so, they'd probably want to join my band, but I wouldn't want my band to be a joke =P, (it's annoying how I'd just be mucking around on a little tune, and they'd be like, how'd you do that, show me, and I'd have to show them note for note...)

As for your name, it reminds me of the Alkaline trio, except different... like the joke too 
#12January 15th, 2007 · 03:49 PM
1 threads
6 posts
Canada
i dont think im going to go with the spread of word approach after all..i dont want to have to get a bunch of people who arent that good but i dont want to say no to them either

The alkalies lol.. that is awesome
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:24 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.