1 2

#1December 15th, 2006 · 12:19 PM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
Fave christmas songs.
Theres probably another thread about this but oh well...

Whats everyones favourite crimbo choon?
Personally, I'm not a fan of christmas songs at all, but one of my alltime favourite songs is 'Fairytale Of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty Macoll.
Another good one is a song of Imogen Heaps album. Shes never actually said its about christmas, and people have made loads of really stupid assumptions about its meaning...its blatently obvious its about Christmas though! Dumb people. Its called 'Just For Now', if you get the chance, give a listen, the lyrics are quite funny.
#2December 15th, 2006 · 12:33 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I dunno, for sure I can't stand all mainstream rock radio playing all the same 80's christmas hits over and over again. I don't even have a radio at home, allergic to DJ's and radio commercials as I am, in general, but christmas makes everything worse... They play that crap everywhere I go, and there's nothing I can do about it (except putting some really loud music on my earphones)...

To me, the best christmas music is pre-80's Leonard Cohen. not that his songs are about christmas or anything... for some reason I just associate his music with Christmas. "famous blue raincoat" ain't exactly jingle bells, maybe that's why I like it.
#3December 15th, 2006 · 12:40 PM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
I dunno, for sure I can't stand all mainstream rock radio playing all the same 80's christmas hits over and over again. I don't even have a radio at home, allergic to DJ's and radio commercials as I am, in general, but christmas makes everything worse... They play that crap everywhere I go, and there's nothing I can do about it (except putting some really loud music on my earphones)...

To me, the best christmas music is pre-80's Leonard Cohen. not that his songs are about christmas or anything... for some reason I just associate his music with Christmas. "famous blue raincoat" ain't exactly jingle bells, maybe that's why I like it.

Leonard Cohen...You know, I'm ashamed to say that the only time I've ever heard of him was when Neil from 'The Young Ones' says 'No one ever listens to me, I might aswell be a Leonard Cohen record.'
#4December 15th, 2006 · 12:43 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
LOL, I remember that line
#5December 15th, 2006 · 12:47 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
sorry guys...I happen to love a bunch of Christmas songs. A soulful, powerful rendition of "O Holy Night" cannot be beat as far as I'm concerned. Steve and Edie's "Happy Holidays" or "Walking Through a Winter Wonderland" and Mel Torme's  "Christmas Song (you know, the one that starts: "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire?"), Bing Crosby's "White Christmas". How's about Charles Brown's "Please Come Home for Christmas", or "Merry Christmas Baby" (I had the experience of playing on a cover of this song on a cd). Sorry, I'm participating in some time-travel here...but I could keep going on and on! These songs evoke pleasant memories of Christmas past for me.....
#6December 15th, 2006 · 12:50 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
"Let It Snow" is probably my favorite. It has such a catchy melody.
I like happy christmas-songs! 
#7December 15th, 2006 · 12:51 PM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
PuppetXeno wrote…
LOL, I remember that line :D

Oh god, the young ones, I love it. My favourites the one with the 'ferret'.
#8December 15th, 2006 · 01:27 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
I've always loved "Baby it's cold outside" though not really a christmas song...they do talk about the cold weather..the double vocal parts and the back and forth lines make it so charming...I like the version sung in the movie "Elf"
#9December 15th, 2006 · 01:56 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Wow! You have got to listen to some Leonard Cohen, he's excellent, immensely deep, poetical 'hotel room' stuff had loads of mistresses and has sung absolute classics.

I like George Micheal's, Last Christmas!            I do!                   Shoot me!

What about the one where Viv nails his legs to the kitchen table?    
#10December 15th, 2006 · 01:59 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands

kings wrote…
I like George Micheal's, Last Christmas!            I do!                   Shoot me!

AAAAARRRGGGHHHH    trust me I wilLL !!!!!
#11December 15th, 2006 · 03:40 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Well I love The Little Drummer Boy, the song and the story is awesome.Yet again music saves the day! However when I listen I hear a guitar palm muting fiercely throughout but that's just me   So to me its actually lil shredder boy!

Also, Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC...The wife every year MAKES me listen to a Kenny and Dolly Christmas about 50 times!! The entire album over and over!
#12December 15th, 2006 · 05:54 PM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
Gorge Micheal!?!?
Pup can shoot you but only cause he's taken up the gauntlet and I'm too lazy.
Hmmm, christmas songs....that one by "The Darkness", 
It's so cheesy, it's cool.
#13December 15th, 2006 · 06:00 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
I most definitely prefer
The more traditional style christmas tunes...

I won't be listening to anything christmas by a band called "The Darkness".. I think that is a bit of an oxymoron..  christmas is about light, not dark..  but I digress...  I am a huge fan of "We three Kings of Orient are"

And I like Mel Torme's christmas song, but Nat King Cole's version is better in my opinion...

JimK
#14December 15th, 2006 · 07:12 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
ok go ahead and shoot me now but
I like the Eagles "Come Home For Christmas" song plus "Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer", plus I like the Christmas with Dino Album (Dean Martin).

Oh well I didn't say I always had good taste but I gotta go with a singer that loves to record and sing drunk
#15December 15th, 2006 · 07:36 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Maaannnn...this is great!  To me, it's not so much about what is good or not...it's about those songs that bring back good memories... those songs that help promote "the spirit of the season" Sorry for that cliche, but I believe in that stuff. Also, I think it's pretty cool that a bunch of musicians (who represent varied genres of music) have their own particular favorites. And, oh by the way, Jimk, funny you should mention Nat King Cole's version of "The Christmas Song". I agree, and I even thought about that today when I posted that comment....I almost wrote that! However, as I think about it...Mel WROTE the song, so I gotta give him his "props".
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 10:27 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.