1 2

#1August 12th, 2012 · 09:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
denisahmet.com
I've just launched a new website via my host goddady.com
I used their website builder, it's much easier than Dreamweaver and such like, pretty much drag and drop.
I spent most yesterday putting together - please let me know how I can improve it.  I really want to start giving lessons, what do you think students will be looking for?

www.denisahmet.com
#2August 13th, 2012 · 01:22 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Hey denis I just checked it out! that looks really cool. I've been trying to come up with a website too so its cool to see what others are working on. I really like the way it looks. I will say that the logo at the top took a while to show up, but it may have been because my connection is a bit flaky right now.

Students want videos, something easy to look through, something that shows them why they instantly need this. I think simpler the better probably if you want to promote yourself to give lessons.

EDIT: and as I continue to check back on your site throughout the next few days I'm sure I'll come up with hopefully more USABLE ideas, and I'll post those.
#3August 13th, 2012 · 05:27 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Very cool.
Image probably takes time to load because it is a fairly large image ... you can split it up into small blocks with imagesplitter : http://www.htmlkit.com/services/is/   ... loads of web tools here too.

I think you could change the font for your menu titles ... an Ariel or Calibri or a Verdana  would be nice

Shouldn't you be offering a recording and producing service  ?
#4August 13th, 2012 · 06:14 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Very cool.
Image probably takes time to load because it is a fairly large image ... you can split it up into small blocks with imagesplitter : http://www.htmlkit.com/services/is/   ... loads of web tools here too.

I think you could change the font for your menu titles ... an Ariel or Calibri or a Verdana  would be nice

Yeah when I uploaded the Banner on the recommended setting the quality was pants, so I went for high res.
I'll check out those tools and yes great I'll change the fonts.
I can give lessons on production, but doing it from my bedroom is not ideal - ideally when I build my studio it will be perfect  
#5August 13th, 2012 · 09:18 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Hey denis I just checked it out! that looks really cool. I've been trying to come up with a website too so its cool to see what others are working on. I really like the way it looks. I will say that the logo at the top took a while to show up, but it may have been because my connection is a bit flaky right now.

Students want videos, something easy to look through, something that shows them why they instantly need this. I think simpler the better probably if you want to promote yourself to give lessons.

EDIT: and as I continue to check back on your site throughout the next few days I'm sure I'll come up with hopefully more USABLE ideas, and I'll post those. ;)
What types of video, instruction, me playing some fancy licks,  a combination of, short 30 seconds video's etc. Thanks for your imput
#6August 13th, 2012 · 01:49 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis wrote…
kings wrote…
Very cool.

Yeah when I uploaded the Banner on the recommended setting the quality was pants, so I went for high res.
I'll check out those tools and yes great I'll change the fonts.
I can give lessons on production, but doing it from my bedroom is not ideal - ideally when I build my studio it will be perfect   ;)
I still think you could fairly announce your self as Denis Ahmet, Musician, Songwriter, Music Teacher, Music Producer .... but yes wait till the studio is up and running.
Maybe some videos of you starting to explain something simple and wonderful ... the kind of thing that amazes people who want to learn guitar .... and then tell them they can book an hour where you'll explain the rest.
You need carrot material to dangle ! 
#7August 14th, 2012 · 02:44 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Wow, cool site, Denis.
You give very broad informations about yourself, your music, gear etc.
Makes it easy for interested, prospective peops to decide if you´re the right teacher.
Courious where it goes..................
................good luck for this project, professor D.  
#8August 14th, 2012 · 04:40 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I edited republished in IE - seems to upload banner quicker
www.denisahmet.com
#9August 14th, 2012 · 09:00 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
1. Well, as some of the www community do not have flash player installed (check your iPhone), you should first think about your intro screen.
2. The next think-about: The music behind the welcome screen is cool but very annyoing since you have no choice to mute the sound. Users are completely and utterly at the mercy of this music. Let the people decide to hear an intro music or not.
3. I like the background picture a lot, but it's still too big and it fills only the first top half of the background. It's very dark below.

My advice then:
1. It should be possible to extract a pattern out of the flames w/o the guitar, save it as PNG file and let it repeat for x and y direction all over the screen. The size shouldnt exceed 10-20kb (Less is more!). And it fills the screen completely. But I am sure that you will hate the flames after a couple of weeks.
2. Then free the guitar from the original picture and save it as a PNG file. Now take this pic as a banner image containng your banner text/banner message.

In this way your pictures will be reduced to a minimum of size so it's much faster lo load. And... hey, let the browser work for you.
#10August 14th, 2012 · 11:34 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
1. Well, as some of the www community do not have flash player installed (check your iPhone), you should first think about your intro screen.
2. The next think-about: The music behind the welcome screen is cool but very annyoing since you have no choice to mute the sound. Users are completely and utterly at the mercy of this music. Let the people decide to hear an intro music or not.
3. I like the background picture a lot, but it's still too big and it fills only the first top half of the background. It's very dark below.

My advice then:
1. It should be possible to extract a pattern out of the flames w/o the guitar, save it as PNG file and let it repeat for x and y direction all over the screen. The size shouldnt exceed 10-20kb (Less is more!). And it fills the screen completely. But I am sure that you will hate the flames after a couple of weeks.
2. Then free the guitar from the original picture and save it as a PNG file. Now take this pic as a banner image containng your banner text/banner message.

In this way your pictures will be reduced to a minimum of size so it's much faster lo load. And... hey, let the browser work for you.

I created the banner in Photoshop, so I can detach the guitar, even my logo name is on a separate layer.
I'm not sure what you mean about the flames, are you saying that it could be the first layer - My desk top will be on fire...lol?  I'm not sure how I can do that as this was a template already designed.

You have given me thought, I could have solid colour/s for the banner and create a smaller banner within it.
I assume this would make the file smaller? Thanks
#11August 14th, 2012 · 12:03 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Web design is wonderful ... lol
@TK ... there's an on and off button under the site entry link.

Why not make a short musical intro? as compared to a song or a riff in a loop ... something short and cool that welcomes the first time visitor ... you are a musician with musical products so it's ok to have music playing, I think your visitors would actually expect it.

I really love the bottom of your pages, the colour and the 3d shade under the page ... gives depth.
I agree with TK that you could make a background image loop horizontally or vertically, but you'd have to read up about how to seamlessly blend to its neighbour, I've done it with a watery background before.

What I would do would be to make a png about 300px wide x 400px in hight, get a section of the flames to blend with its self horizontally, then fade the bottom 150px into transparency. (only pngs can have semi transparent pixels)
So you get a relatively small background image that will always fill the top of the page (even in wide screen) that fades at the bottom into that beautiful deep green.

css : background: transparent url(yourflamebg.png) repeat-x;

You could be really clever and put a shade around the top of the page that displays on top of the flames, to compliment the 3d effect at the bottom.

But then again it might look shit .. but I would try it just to see     
#12August 14th, 2012 · 01:43 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Web design is wonderful ... lol
@TK ... there's an on and off button under the site entry link.

Why not make a short musical intro? as compared to a song or a riff in a loop ... something short and cool that welcomes the first time visitor ... you are a musician with musical products so it's ok to have music playing, I think your visitors would actually expect it.

I really love the bottom of your pages, the colour and the 3d shade under the page ... gives depth.
I agree with TK that you could make a background image loop horizontally or vertically, but you'd have to read up about how to seamlessly blend to its neighbour, I've done it with a watery background before.

What I would do would be to make a png about 300px wide x 400px in hight, get a section of the flames to blend with its self horizontally, then fade the bottom 150px into transparency. (only pngs can have semi transparent pixels)
So you get a relatively small background image that will always fill the top of the page (even in wide screen) that fades at the bottom into that beautiful deep green.

css : background: transparent url(yourflamebg.png) repeat-x;

You could be really clever and put a shade around the top of the page that displays on top of the flames, to compliment the 3d effect at the bottom.

But then again it might look shit .. but I would try it just to see      :razz:
Not sure what this is:
"I agree with TK that you could make a background image loop horizontally or vertically, but you'd have to read up about how to seamlessly blend to its neighbour, I've done it with a watery background before."

Cheers 
#13August 14th, 2012 · 03:29 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Mirror Image
Something like this:

#14August 14th, 2012 · 05:26 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I found my watery background ... it's my second attempt ever at making an index page ... you can click 'enter' but it seems to close the page lol
The mirror video ... sort of but not, a bit more like this :

It just gets trickier when the image has different forms.... like flames

A symmetric image that works both x and y is this one :  you should recognise it from the bandamp header
#15August 15th, 2012 · 04:05 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
I found my watery background ... it's my second attempt ever at making an index page ... you can click 'enter' but it seems to close the page lol
The mirror video ... sort of but not, a bit more like this :

It just gets trickier when the image has different forms.... like flames

A symmetric image that works both x and y is this one :  you should recognise it from the bandamp header

Love that watery Background
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 8:45 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.