1 2

#1July 13th, 2012 · 11:50 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I tried to be cool

So I was watching some Youtube videos of Slash and Zach Wylde playing on stage together.. I noticed  how low slung their  Les Pauls were.. I took my strap and lowered mine down to about the same as they had em... F me up.. how the hell do you play the guitar that low and do as good as they do.. I mean granted they are playing moslty minors and minor major pentatonics, but still,  Zack is burning up the frets,  all it did for me is make my writst hurt. 

guess that's what the problem is ,, my arms are to short.   Just can't play the guitar slung real low like Jimmy Page and all the cool guys.  I'm a nerd guitarist,  should have stuck with Jazz,  they all play their guitars up high.

ps it would have been better if they had left Slash's guitar volumes alone,, right at the first of the video he's getting great sound, then they turn him down, F'd it all up.
#2July 15th, 2012 · 07:16 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
LOL yeah playing the guitar hung low is suposed to be ccol. These days I don't even use a strap. I lay it on my lap sitting on a comfortable chair, much easier to play - hmmm next I might go one further and play it lying down with my head on two pillows 
#3July 15th, 2012 · 10:43 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
re: I tried to be cool
toastedgoat wrote…
I noticed  how low slung their  Les Pauls were.. I took my strap and lowered mine down to about the same as they had em... F me up..
Yeah, me too. I would see these guys playing low (Slash being the primary example) and I would try that. To me, the most difficult part is the "right hand technique". I use lots of "bounce" or "double" picking when I'm playing fast (which means I need to brace the heel of my hand on the bridge - very hard to do with a "low-slung" guitar). Some guys use lots of "pull offs" and "hammer ons" with more effort on the left hand and less effort on the right hand (at least that's what I tell myself). Look at the way they hold and move the pick. Don't really know how they manage that...So I tell myself it's better to be "good" than "cool" (now I have to work on trying to be "good" )

By the way, if I were Slash I'd be pretty pissed at the way they screwed up the volume - he's playing some sweet lead in there...but you just can't hear it....
 ...also, check out the bass player - he's kicking ass in there...really good!
#4July 15th, 2012 · 12:53 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Interesting observation.
The two in the back have their guitars at hip hight.
Having your axe at pelvis hight does a number of things ... it looks cool, you take more control of it and to bring up a point you made in a recent video upload, they become more animated because of how it's held.
They stand with one leg on the stage speakers, they bend forwards and they pull it up

Yea! Bloody technicians on volume knobs !
#5July 16th, 2012 · 11:39 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
well, íf you are a nerd guitarist, be a proud nerd guitarist!
#6July 16th, 2012 · 07:25 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
hmm maybe I'll look into a procedure that will add 6" to my arms...

Slash looks cool with a guitar in his hands,, he looks kind of goofy when he is walking  around without one. 
#7July 17th, 2012 · 03:00 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
I never found deep hanging guitars cool. Kind of goofy, as you said, Goat.
I could never play decently this way. Need to hang my git/bass quite high , so that it has the same position as when I´d play sitting.
Another matter of individuality.....................
#8July 17th, 2012 · 05:29 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
toastedgoat wrote…

Slash looks cool with a guitar in his hands,, he looks kind of goofy when he is walking  around without one.  8)

ROFL !!!
#9July 29th, 2012 · 02:45 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
toastedgoat wrote…

Be careful extending some bodyparts..............

#10July 29th, 2012 · 10:38 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
ULI wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

Yikes,  I'll leave well enough alone.
#11July 30th, 2012 · 04:42 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Neither me can play a guitar so low hanging. Are you sure that Slash plays his guitar in real in that way?
I've heard of a Never-landed-on-the-moon-theory 
#12July 30th, 2012 · 10:33 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
Neither me can play a guitar so low hanging. Are you sure that Slash plays his guitar in real in that way?
I've heard of a Never-landed-on-the-moon-theory  :roll:

could all be fake ?  maybe  I think it's because without the guitar he looks like a chimpanzee, his arms are to long for his body   
#13July 31st, 2012 · 02:41 AM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
ULI wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

LMAO!  Yea my guitar playing is usually up to my chin!
#14July 31st, 2012 · 10:59 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
UndercoverApple wrote…
ULI wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…

LMAO!  Yea my guitar playing is usually up to my chin!

I may not have it up under my chin, but I can't play with it down as low as zack and slash.   Makes my wrist hurt.
#15August 1st, 2012 · 11:49 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
think they have big hands with long fingers(like apes), so they can get a barred chord with their thumb over the neck easily..
Also they bring up the guitar quite often with a foot on the monitor..mostly on the harder parts?

1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 29th, 2024 · 4:41 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.