1 2

#1December 4th, 2007 · 08:51 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
when your muse is gone
I've been very discrete on the amp lately mostly due to work and family commitments but because of a lack of inspiration too
I'm always amazed by people like Denis or Marino and others(can't list you all guys) who week after week come out with great songs and never seem to ever run out of inspiration
I lately can right anything
It's a bit of a worry but I hope that will come back
I feel that maybe I've reach the limit of what I can come out with my limited technique and musical knowledge that maybe I should start taking lessons(that would be the first time)
I'm sure I'm not the only one going through that kind of phase so if anybody knows how to get out of such a creative hole please let me know how you deal with it
Looking back on the few songs I wrote lately I feel like there's no unity in my style and I think that part of the problem lay there
#2December 4th, 2007 · 08:56 AM
15 threads
63 posts
United States of America
hey well i face this ALOT!!!! more so than i think anyone because I'm trying to get a band started amongst all of this stuff that i have to do and to make time for music i have to either get up early or stay up late (the later i reall dont mind!!! im a freaking party machine!) but it seems that after a while i start to lose the reason i did this in the first place its more about people accepting my music than just playing and writing for fun! when this happens i try to find myself!!!! I just go to my comp sit down with my guitar and listen to ALL of my influences!!! It can sometimes be a day or 2 after this that i finally get out but ALWAYS keep a pencil nearby so that you can write something down when inspiration strikes!!!!!!!! (gah i hate school PEACE!@!!!!!)
#3December 4th, 2007 · 09:30 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Yeah but, ninjaguy, YOU are still really young! When it happens when you're a bit older, it may really be something to worry about.

I mean, when you're young, still in school, your life can't possibly be described as a "drag" since there's something new coming up every day. When you're at the phase of having a steady job, and you're just going through the motions, then things start to REALLY SUCK.

Between ages 16-25 I managed to record hundreds of songs (literally), but after that it started to rapidly decline. This year, I've only recorded ONE original/completed song and a number of jams (but they're not songs). If it wasn't for TritonKeyboarder that one song wouldn't even have been there.

AS it happens to be, vincentL isn't alone, as I know that several other members are suffering from the same condition called "writers block". It almost seems epidemic.

Anyway, how to get out of that hole is to just force yourself to record something (discipline). However, yours truly can't be bothered, so I've been focusing on other hobbies until I find a good reason to pick up that mic again (I am, however, actively practicing my guitaring skills by playing the damn thing regularly, even if it's uninspired).

I'm not lacking inspiration btw, but motivation to record. I mean there's plenty of groovy stuff on the radio anywhere I go (agreed, sometimes the radio is pretty bad, and I do not even have a receiver at home) but coming up with a groove in my head as I'm walking down the street really suffices to get myself going in a good vibe...

Ok so that's how I deal with things, I gave up fighting it and found out my inspiration didn't cease as I moved away from musicianing for a while.... I halfway moved away but still I'm in the process of forming a new band... Because it's in my blood, it's been part of me for so long I can never *truly* abandon it, even if I wanted to...

Question for you, vincent, is: What do you really want to achieve with music, and do you think it's worth it to pursue those goals? You probably have that creative itch and it needs to get out. But if it doesn't come with music, there are plenty of other ways to let it out. If you are burnt on doing music then lessons or attending workshops or entering a band are definately good ways to keep yourself going. Working with others in music sheds light on parts of the creative process you won't find out by yourself... You'll learn new ways to review your own creativity... It does work... SO.... All you need is the WILL to make it happen, and creating WILL is the first thing to do then, usually just get off from your chair and take action. That's all I can say about that.
#4December 4th, 2007 · 10:13 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
the passion is still there
About what I want to achieve I'm realistic and if I would have "made" it in music I would have done it years ago music is a young person business but it doesn't mean that I'm planning to stop playing is in me and will be forever
I've met other musicians recently who were full of compliments about songs I wrote and who want to go in studio in February so the motivation is here but at the same time it feels like the pressure is on and I feel like I've got to come out with the goods but I seem to hit a brick wall when I pick up my guitar or sit in front of a blank page
I understand what you mean by the discipline of recording but I find it hard to record stuff that I'm not happy with just for the sake of it
I hope that once those songs will be recorded I'll be able to move on
The thing as well is that I feel sometime restricted in the style of song I've choose to write I would love to do sometime more "rocky numbers" (Ive got a few at different stage of completion) but I think that I shouldn't stray too much of the style (acoustic "chanson" ) or loose unity (integrity?)
I guess I'm just going through some teenage hangs about my music which is a bit laughable at my age
Gonna stop moaning now!
#5December 4th, 2007 · 10:28 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yes Vince , it's a load of old merde , being a creative person and yet feeling distant from what you thought would be your only 'true' love.
I believe that you can, from this point in your life see Soooo far, you can think of it as an 'empty' dip, but as you say you may have reached a limit. You may be full enough of the last step now it's time for the next.
You should from this point also be able to see how you got there. What brought you to feel this way. As well as being able to see where you really would like to be and therefore which are the correct first step to getting you there!
I was inspired to write when I was 19 years old , at the time it guided my thoughts and dreams, and so it did for years, but instead of pushing for my dream , being a dreamer I end up completely entwined in life and these wonderful earthy things, like work, house, children and Land Rovers, lol, which I'm totally OK with.
Though I've felt that I'm not writing much in the last years, I've written more web code and forum posts then ever. And most of it I've absolutely loved writing. I do feel there is a 'poetry' to web page writing!
Like an Olympic competitor, if you want to be that artist on the TV or on the main stage in Glastonbury you have to sacrifice something, usually those sacrifices are family and friends. 
You could a Clapton and lock your self up with a load of coke, make your self all shiny and ultimate and just go for it, but there you have that sacrifice again.

I think it's the 'Fame' element of 'Music' that needs to be 'put in the spot light' !
Because such a discussion might bring out a lot of these 'reasons' were looking for.
#6December 4th, 2007 · 10:53 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
fame? what is that!
I must say I don't care much for fame and in an ideal world if I was to make a living out of my music I would be very happy being in the background writing for others and not performing myself
I don't rate myself as a good singer or guitarist
I'm not hoping to sell any of those songs I write I'm more concern about how slowly the next one is to come out!
#7December 4th, 2007 · 04:47 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I don't lack of stylistic unity is a problem.  If anything, that's a strength.  I've only just broken my twenties, and my creative blocks are day or two long periods where I can't think of where to take a bridge of a jazz chord progression.  Sure, I have no inspiration to write lyrics, but I've focused my creativity on music, and I'm not struggling.  I have at least 4 or 5 wide genres of music in my account just here, so I don't think it's clear that there is a correlation between style and creativity.

Sometimes you just hit a rut.  It's only happened when I've tried to write lyrics, but I was never any good at that to begin with.  When I want to write music, I pick up my guitar and start playing. I play anything (literally just hit notes and chords at random) and as my mind begins to work, something coherent comes out.  I know many people who use a catalyst to get them going: alcohol, cigarettes or other substances are common muses.  If you're into any of that, try it out.

And lastly, when you've got absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, just imitate.  If you like jazz, try to compose something like Django Reinhardt.  It's not going to be Django's work, because your name is Vincent.  If you like classic rock, try compose something like Zeppelin or AC/DC.

At the very least you now know that you're not the only one in this situation.  Hope to hear some more from you!
#8December 5th, 2007 · 08:53 AM
15 threads
63 posts
United States of America
ok.......every one keeps saying well your young you cant understand...... im afraid that me being young is giving a barrier to me in your minds.... when i start to post music will you really give it a chance or just blow me by BECAUSE IM YOUNG! I mean this is why i hessitate to post on the amp (or show anyone my music for that matter) but i digress!(*im not flaming im just helping a friend with strong words*)Vincent really get up of your self pity bed and REMEBER YOU ARE VINCENT L i have seen some of the best music on the amp come from you HECK i have "the girl is love" on my ipod!!!!!!! so come on you can make incredible music its all in your head your not losing your muse maybe in a temporary slump but not losing your muse! so.... you didnt put out a whole crap load of songs... im gonna use an old cliche when i say "its not the QUANTITY of your songs its the QUALITY".......and yea i guess i do have something new alot but that still dosnt mean i have the same problems you do but again i digress...... anyway just get off this " i've lost my muse poor me" state of mind and get on one thats more "im about to make some kick *** music so you best get in the kick *** music proof bunker!!!!!"  I mean you r VincentL...... i look up to you man!!! alot!!!  anyway keep the music coming!!!!
#9December 5th, 2007 · 11:57 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
Thanks a lot Ninja what you wrote means a lot
I don't think that the dry patch I'm going through is a permanent thing but it's not pleasant while it last!
I agree with you when you say age has got nothing to do with it but I guess when you get older your self quality control become higher and it's more difficult to keep a fresh enthusiastic outlook on what you come out with
But you're right I should stop the self pity and get my act together and pick up the guitar more and come out with the goods!
Will do my best
#10December 5th, 2007 · 03:55 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
Hello Vincent and everyone else

I've been passing by this situation the last FOUR years! It's no easy, at the beginning i was worried too, I felt that I've lost my inspiration. The curious thing was that I changed most of my routines and specificly: the way i feel the life. I mean, the most of the songs I wrote talks about bad situations: broken heart, cheating, suicide, no illusions and many more.

My life changed, I get married, I'm father and I found many things not comparable with the music, but it takes the place.

Now I use to sing and play alone, I'm not a part of a band anymore. I haven't found the right members to make a new band. I'm trying to make some covers, and I'm learning to record with decent quality.

I miss the old days, the gigs, the jams, the parties, the stages, the people, etc.

I have houndreds of lines but not a song, I can't reach my writing level, my technique is always critiqued just by me, and it's not enough to upload.

I really wish you the best of all to you can reach and get all you want. I've found greats musicians here, an you are not the exception. Give you a chance for relax, think about it and do it.

I'm sure you'll come back with something over the expectations,

cheers

dodo
#11December 5th, 2007 · 04:02 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hey Vincent wassup how are ya doin.

Man this no problem you know. It's all phsycoligical.

The fact is that you can and have produced some great music. Why dont you listen to it just as a little reminder.

You are putting yourself under too much pressure to create, it's as simple as that.

So here's what you do:

When you pick up your guitar just have one goal in your mind and that is to have fun and enjoy yourself.
Now this may take some time, because you need to get your mind focused in having some fun. So just set yourself a little goal everyday, and that could be to practice 10 mniutes a day. You may not notice any change straight away, but you will get there in time, just you see.

BTW thanks for mentioning me at the top of the page.

So  yes this is how it works for me, Main goal enjoy and have fun with your music, don't put yoursef under too much pressure. Love your music, yes real unconditional love!

So to summarise dont worry about any production deals etc. Just think about youself and have a good time.

Let me know how you get on, we will get you back on line, just you wait and see!!

Merry Christmas

Denis
#12December 5th, 2007 · 06:14 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis wrote…
Why dont you listen to it just as a little reminder.
Vince , if your looking for your self, listening to your own stuff is a good bit of advice.
You'll not only find 'what you wanted to do' but you'll also hear where it/you could go next (improve this, change that, drop something else!) 

Like our Freddy who art in heaven said : Don't try so hard.
#13December 6th, 2007 · 12:14 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
Quote Sarah Connor Terminator 1 to wounded kyle

"On your feet soldier"

Dennis wise words
'So  yes this is how it works for me, Main goal enjoy and have fun with your music, don't put yoursef under too much pressure. Love your music, yes real unconditional love!'

hi eto and try some alternate tuning on your guitar..... learn 2 to play all over again but it sounds different you playing ....much fun
Remember it could be worse you could be an accordianist.
good luck and don't stop playing

#14December 6th, 2007 · 07:08 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Here's a little song I wrote to cheers me up and get myself into a good mood.

Maybe you could do something similar, A little bit of rock & roll is good for your soul, Yeah!!

http://forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/4754.html

Cheers

Denis
#15December 7th, 2007 · 10:27 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
hey.. I see that you've posted a new song since starting this thread, so maybe you find that you're getting out of your writer's block, but then again... maybe it'll come back to you one day (unfortunately)... that being the case, I think posting on this thread is still a valid thing to do

I like yokoinc's comment about trying a different tuning.  Often, I find that many of the songs I experiement with start to sound the same after a while, because I just naturally tend to snap to the same chords after a while.  Changing the tuning is a way to force you to not play the same chords, but to find something unique to the tuning you're in.  You may not want to get too funky with the tuning... nobody likes to tune a guitar for forever before being able to play a song, and if you've only got one song in that tuning, then it's a terrible bother to drop it into the new tuning just to play a single song.  But whatever it takes, yeah?

Honnêtement, Vincent, j'ai vécu des experiences similaires (même si je n'ai que 21 ans), et la seule façon pour bien surmonter ces drôles de difficultés, c'est d'attendre l'inspiration ... plus facile à dire que faire, non ?  Des fois, je suis completement incabable de créer une chanson par des experiments musicals seulement.  J'attends quelquechose... de plus.  J'attends une lettre de la part de mon amie, ou bien une drôle de chose sur la rue qui me fait rire... j'observe les choses autour de moi et finallement, je trouve une petite inspiration dans une chose (et peut-être il n'y a qu'UNE chose), et j'en écris.

Je pense que ... presque toutes les chansons que j'ai "fini" étaient plusiers chansons, chaque une.  J'ai commencé avec des idées, et c'était bon et bien pour commencer, mais je trouvais que elles avaient besoin de plus... J'ai trouvé que, souvent (d'après moi), les meilleurs chansons sont des mélanges de plusiers inspirations, et non pas de juste une inspiration.  Ça prends du temps, bien sur!  Si je passe 3 semaines en attendant UNE idée, ça prendrait 2, 3 mois avant de finir quelquechose de bon   Mais... des fois je devais attendre 3 mois pour bien trouver ma petite inspiration, moi.  Puis j'attends une autre pour faire des progres, pour aller plus loin avec ma premiere inspiration.

Et puis des fois, je peux écrire ma meilleur chanson jusq'à date dans 3 heurs, si je trouve assez bien mes idées.  D'après moi, il est impossible d'avoir un (ou deux, peut-être) method.. on dois faire quelquechose en attandant... c'est ça le secret, je pense.  C'est intérissant, mais souvent l'inspiration qu'on trouve n'a rien à faire avec la chose que vous ferez en attendant, mais c'est bien le chemin par laquelle vous allez le trouver.

est-ce claire?  je n'sais pas si j'ai bien exprimé mes idées.. mais j'espère de vous aider, tout comme j'ai expliqué tout à l'heur... vous pouver lire ceci et trouver inspiration dedans, et votre inspiration peut-être elle n'a rien à faire avec mes commentaires, mais quand même, ils étaient un "chemin" pour vous y faire arriver.

À vos désires... à vos ambitions...  Bon courage 

(je pratique pas souvent le français écrit.. j'espère que vous puissiez le lire assez bien pour comprendre le sens en géneral   )

TLS

(and since I'm bound to recieve some sort of critism (again) for writting in french, here's the machine translation, from google.com; nothing less than what you could do yourself if you actually cared enough to read it   I can't see how it would matter too much anyway, since all the comments here are directed at VincentL, and not at the other users, but I understand that there's something to had by everyone reading the comments... so... this is me, caving into peer pressure.  I hope you're all happy :P )

Honestly, Vincent, I have lived through similar experiences (even if I only have 21 years), and the only way to effectively overcome these difficulties funny, it's wait for inspiration ... Easier said than done, right? Sometimes, I am completely incabable to create a song by experiments musicals only. I expect something ... More. I expect a letter from my friend, or a funny thing on the street makes me laugh ... I see things around me and finally, I find a little inspiration from one thing (and perhaps there is ONE thing), and I write.

I think ... Almost all the songs that I have "finished" were several songs, each one. I started with ideas, and this was good and well to begin with, but I felt that they needed more ... I found that often (in my opinion), the best songs are mixtures of several inspirations, and not just an inspiration. It takes time, of course! If I spend 3 weeks pending an idea, it would take 2 to 3 months before ending up something good:) But ... Sometimes I had to wait 3 months to find my little inspiration myself. Then wait for the other to make progress, to go farther with my first inspiration.

And then sometimes, I write my best song up to date in 3 hours, if I find my ideas pretty well. In my opinion, it is impossible to have one (or two, perhaps) method .. We must do something in attandant ... That's the secret, I think. It intérissant, but often finds inspiration that has nothing to do with the thing you do in the meantime, but it is the path by which you will find it.

Is it clear? I do not know if I have expressed my views .. But I hope to help you, as I explained to hour ... You can read this and find inspiration in, and your inspiration perhaps it has nothing to do with my comments, but still, they were a "way" to do so.

At your desires ... Your ambitions ... Good luck: D

(I do not often written french .. I hope that you can read well enough to understand its meaning in general:))
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 8th, 2024 · 11:22 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.