#1July 21st, 2011 · 03:06 PM
5 threads
17 posts
United States of America
Are you making $$ off your music online?
Hey guys,

I know this is not a song, I am kind of a new user here so excuse me if this is the wrong board for this kind of discussion.

As an unsigned musician I used to find myself scratching my head all the time and wondering how to make money off of my music and monetize my work on the internet. A little over a month ago I found out about SocialMusic.com and was wondering if anybody else was using this platform? I am currently making a few hundred bucks every few weeks off of my fans that enjoy my music and wish to support what I am doing.

I have found a few resources but I was wondering what you all do to monetize your music content online successfully? It would be great to hear some success stories and maybe get a jump start with some tips. I can share strategy and information on how I am banking with Social Music if you guys wish.

Here are the different platforms that I am aware of:

iTunes:
Cons: Requires users to pay for music which they may not be willing to do.  Certainly not start up artists.

CDbaby.com
Cons: The amount of musicians active on this website is extremely large, so that CD you are selling for $6 may take a while to get noticed.

Songstall.com
Cons: Not the easiest platform to use, company takes a % off of the total song/album sale.

What do you guys think?
#2July 21st, 2011 · 06:41 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Are you making $$ off your music online?
UnitedEntity wrote…
Hey guys,

I know this is not a song, I am kind of a new user here so excuse me if this is the wrong board for this kind of discussion.

As an unsigned musician I used to find myself scratching my head all the time and wondering how to make money off of my music and monetize my work on the internet. A little over a month ago I found out about SocialMusic.com and was wondering if anybody else was using this platform? I am currently making a few hundred bucks every few weeks off of my fans that enjoy my music and wish to support what I am doing.

I have found a few resources but I was wondering what you all do to monetize your music content online successfully? It would be great to hear some success stories and maybe get a jump start with some tips. I can share strategy and information on how I am banking with Social Music if you guys wish.

Here are the different platforms that I am aware of:

wrong forum ...........

iTunes:
Cons: Requires users to pay for music which they may not be willing to do.  Certainly not start up artists.

CDbaby.com
Cons: The amount of musicians active on this website is extremely large, so that CD you are selling for $6 may take a while to get noticed.

Songstall.com
Cons: Not the easiest platform to use, company takes a % off of the total song/album sale.

What do you guys think? :star:
#3July 21st, 2011 · 06:42 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
sorry man u r in wrong forum
Im sure an administrator will move this soon..
#4July 22nd, 2011 · 12:48 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Yeah, this kind of topic really belongs in "The Pit".
#5July 26th, 2011 · 01:25 PM
5 threads
17 posts
United States of America
Can any Admin move this please? Want some good discussion but I don't want it in the wrong spot.

Sorry!
#6July 28th, 2011 · 03:59 AM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
I'd definitely recommend bandcamp.com.

Here's my page:

http://petermoncrieff.bandcamp.com
#7July 29th, 2011 · 10:09 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Well, I started promoting my album on different music and prog rock sites about 2 weeks ago, with my Bandcamp page, and I've made $30 so far.
Actually, next monday (repetitions on wednesday and friday) my album will be on a show called New Moon on Mondays, in this prog rock radio called Aural Moon ( http://auralmoon.com// ). I guess that's a little more exposure.

> Iszil
#8September 1st, 2011 · 09:47 PM
12 threads
4 posts
United States of America
THE MARS VOLTA, RX BANDITS, CIRCA SURVIVE, BJORK
Whoa! Just heard this INSANE band Helicopria… any fans of THE MARS VOLTA, RX BANDITS, CIRVA SURVIVE or BJORK would love them…  www.facebook.com/helicopria
#9September 4th, 2011 · 02:10 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Interesting thought about making money out of the music... of course it's kind of what most of us would really like, but I've never thought there would be a market for my stuff.
That is....
Until my sister (who lives on a homestead in South Dakota) used my music on her blog site.  So many people have been asking her about my stuff, with one or two (very sad individuals, obviously!) saying that they log in to her blog just to listen to the music, that perhaps I may be able to sell some.
A good friend of mine, Tim Buckley (the living one, not the dead one) has his music for sale on iTunes - he's just made his first £100 but this took about a year to do; not exactly rolling it in.  So Bandcamp sounds like a good route to go down if Iszil's experience is anything to go by:

Iszil wrote…
"Well, I started promoting my album on different music and prog rock sites about 2 weeks ago, with my Bandcamp page, and I've made $30 so far"

Who knows!?  This time next year we may all be millionaires!
#10September 4th, 2011 · 08:25 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
We "ve been lucky enough to pick up some royalties through APRA {Australian Royalties collection agency}.
The $ earners being music used for sync with some TV programs however what has been slowly increasing is royalties from radio airplay.We packed up the cd's with a little bio etc and posted to various radio stations targeting nu jazz, lounge chill etc out genres.The stats now coming back via APRA indicate which songs are getting more attention.
We sent less than 30 cds ...2 albums in all.... 22 tracks and am thrilled to see 17 of those tracks are getting air and earning royalties.
Returns through itunes etc have been humble but respectable we've just broken even on production costs{mastering & CD prod}though we bought way 2 many copies  for our first album Whisper Bar released 2009.
A&R mobs use the same system ...mail out samplers to radio .....they provide a list of stations and more importantly direct contact with relevant music program directors at these stations.Then the plan is follow up contact with M/Ds.

There are more and more digital stations popping up & music distribution groups... ones that service licensed  streaming direct to shops cafes bars and malls etc I guess it's in house play lists. These are free to join .The royalties also coming through APRA.
There would be nothing to stop you sending material to these people....radio @ commercial providers as long as the music is registered with your country's royalty association.

gg
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 5:32 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.