#1November 21st, 2007 · 05:56 AM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
bio/about me/review?
Right...I've had a long hard think about my music and stuff, and I feel as if I've hit a brick wall.

I've met my soul mate and I'm having a baby with him. You'd think that with all thats happening, it would be easy to tap into all that emotion and create meaningful things, but if anything its more difficult because its too real.

The thing thats bothering me most is that I feel undefined. Not as a person, but in reguards to my music. I feel like someone needs to sit me down and tell me what the hell I am so I can focus my energy more instead of spurting off in loads of half-arsed directions and getting nowhere.

So, yet again, I'm asking you guys to help me out, cause you've never failed me before.
All I'm asking for is for someone to write something like a bio for me, about my music. I just get stumped everytime I try to write something.
Help me out?

Thanks xxx
#2November 21st, 2007 · 12:06 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I was having a discussion with a bunch of friends the other day about this, and we came to the conclusion that it's hardest to describe your own music, and more so to guess which of your own tracks and albums will be "the one".  Most major artists feel this in some way or the other: they have their seminal tracks or albums that they absolutely hate but fans love.

But you? I don't know if I can sum it up straight away, but over this and (hopefully) the next few posts from other ampers, I am sure you will figure out what people perceive of your music.

For me, your music focuses around your voice: it's not a stretch to say I automatically prefer the tracks you've done with vocals on them.  There's this undeniable knack you have to be able to create a catchy melody.  In terms of the music (both with vocals and without), you seem to focus heavily on creating a solid groove with a bass line and drum track, and layering it with synth.  I don't know what kind of musical training you have, but the harmonies, melodies and musical qualities of your tracks really shine.

Lyrically, it seems you are usually writing about something very strong emotionally, whether it is love, spite or confusion...?  While a lot of your tracks seem to be focused for the female audience, I think you have a source in you for writing lyrics.  I don't know if that "source" is a good or bad thing, but it's clear to see you improving your lyrical ability over the time you've been here and have been consistently posting music.

I guess that's kind of the general gist of what you wanted.  Let me know otherwise.
#3November 21st, 2007 · 12:36 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Pure speculation here (not to be confused with actual knowledge), but, I believe it is not unusual for a woman to experience some feelings of depersonalization while coping with pregnancy (and the impending changes of life). By this, I mean it can be confusing to figure out how you feel about things, because life as you know it, is changing. I'm guessing this may be a temporary transition as you sort out how you relate to the world now. Thus, your normal self-expression may be challenged. I'm wondering if it may be more helpful to consider writing about the experience of confusion...of transition, for now (because that sounds like "where you are" existentially). This may "free" your expressive abilities. Just a guess...Anyway, this doesn't address your request for a bio...perhaps someone else has some ideas here...
#4November 21st, 2007 · 06:17 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Mmm it's funny that you ask that, because one of the things i like about your music is it's non-defined style. It's a bit rock, a bit punk... or even going to some sort of lounge on your last track.  I like how you combine a strong bass line with an almost always catchy vox line but without loosing deepness (thus the pads and such).  I think it's a good thing that people can't find a genre for your music, in general.
#5November 22nd, 2007 · 12:10 PM
15 threads
63 posts
United States of America
hey guys let me take a crack at this..... EHHUM!!

YOU ARE THE PORCELAIN DOLL!!!!!!!!! I  had this some musical discovery thing but its just (well was for me) a time of self pitty idk it was for me i used it as an excuse to say i cant write cause i dont know who i am listen dont let that stop you YOU AND YOU ALONE can deffine yourself subconscously we all know what we are some may not be able to tap into that yet but its there trust me just relax and start writing a song or maybe you need to write what you think of yourself or whatever but remember YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE!!!!! dont let anyone change that!!!! because trust me when you let someone change you....... it starts to SUCK!!!!
#6November 22nd, 2007 · 03:08 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Ninj wrote…
YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE!!!!! dont let anyone change that!!!! because trust me when you let someone change you....... it starts to SUCK!!!!
Easy for you to say that.
Though you are technically right, PD is going through so many changes right now, certainly if this is her first child, women in general change through their whole lives, men.......grow beards !

PD , well done, I really hope it all goes well.
I agree fully with battlecat that because of your 'altered state' you would at this time go looking for you but now is not the time to look for or try and explain you , because you is not your self, you is you producing a child, so simply said , enjoy every moment of it because it is unique. A very very special time.
You'll find you in the quiet moments when baby is not kicking, the next time you'll find you , you'll be 40 odd ! lol

Dont take that last sentence seriously , though there is irony in its humour, the reality is, believe me, you will see/find your self more than you can now imagine, all through, and because of your children. 

Go for it!
#7November 23rd, 2007 · 02:01 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hehe... the cat and kings speak wisely.

However, I'm not about to lecture you. I'm going to try to label a genre to your music... To me, personally, it has sometimes helped to label my style in order to find direction for a new song. Or, to find a basis to write a bio around. Mind that bio's don't have to be 100% accurate, and that the style in which they are written (attitude, perspective) are more important than the content. A bio is a piece of advertisement, it's not an application form to Santa who will judge the quality of your presents by how honest you were. Sort of. You're not going to win the presidential election in the US anyway (mostly because you weren't born there, though) (but, with a slick enough bio, ...).

Anyway, genre.

To label a genre to music I'd have to think of a number of existing genres to see whether and to what degree they apply.

First thing that comes to mind is Pop. You write songs, with "popular" content; your lyrics are about the troubles and the observations of someone (you) in daily life. It could also be called Wave given the experimental and non-mainstream nature of your music.

Dark. Your music is shaded towards the dark. It certainly isn't mainstream, and it certainly doesn't shine with joy and happiness and all that superficial nonsense - your music shines from the more obscured parts of the mind, which everybody has, but so many refuse to acknowledge (or be confronted with). Dark; do not confuse with Darkling or Goth or anything. I'd call your music dark because it wasn't mean to illuminate people, it's meant to groove to and space out to (atleast IMO).

Techno. You make music on FruityLoops. Hence it is techno based and nobody can deny.

So far I could call your music to be Dark Techno Pop (would sound cool on a poster wouldn't it)

Maybe the "dark" part would draw in a bunch of morticias and scarecrows though, so an alternative would be to call it Alternative Techno Pop, or Experimental Pop to say it all. Maybe you don't like the idea of your music being called Pop, and you'd have to make do Wave instead. Mind that "Wave" is already considered to be experimental, so "Experimental Wave" is a tautology, and "Dark Wave" certainly would draw in Nosferatu's army to your shows... So honestly I'd stick with pop.

Anyway, I hope it helps some, and cheers ! Be well...

PX
#8November 23rd, 2007 · 02:15 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
I think everyone who's commented above all have very good points. I especially like kings beard analogy, lol.
 mainly, i agree with aetheries, i like that youre music is not pigeon-holed. Dont get me wrong, you certainly have youre own style and youre voice is very distinctive, but youre not afraid to cross the boundaries. just look at radiohead, one of the best bands in the world, and they have changed so much over the years, and each of there albums sound completly different, but its all still Radiohead. (if you dont like radiohead then.... tough, cos you should).
 i dont really know what else to write...........

but good luck
#9November 23rd, 2007 · 03:00 PM
15 threads
63 posts
United States of America
yea GOOD LUCK!!!! it wasnt hard for me to find myself but ..... who knows i may change in a week!!! (i already have 5 o'clock shadow!!!
#10November 26th, 2007 · 05:31 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
PuppetXeno wrote…
Techno. You make music on FruityLoops. Hence it is techno based and nobody can deny.
PX

So FL Studio = "Techno".  (by the way, thats like calling all rock, including Death Metal, "Classic Rock".)  I doubt that people like Marino would agree.  He uses FL Studio on almost all of his recent tracks and I doubt you could call his stuff "Techno".  Anyway.... 

Good times, PD! LOL!  My advice, dont label yourself!  you want to appeal to the broadest audience possible and if you label yourself that kind of stuff gets out to others and some people wont even give you a chance...
#11November 26th, 2007 · 05:54 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
dammit, MAP, Death Metal is indeed Rock (not Classic Rock, that is another subgenre of Rock)

I don't think you understand the way I classify genres, but I'm not going to clarify myself any further - just read my previous comment and understand it this time
#12November 26th, 2007 · 07:34 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
K boss!
#13November 26th, 2007 · 09:32 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
MindsAtPlay wrote…
My advice, dont label yourself!  you want to appeal to the broadest audience possible and if you label yourself that kind of stuff gets out to others and some people wont even give you a chance...

I don't necessarily see this as "label"ing herself.  She's asking what people think of her music.  And there's no reason you can't diversify.  I like to think my musical abilities lie in whatever field of music I apply myself to, but when my friends think of me as a musician they have a particular image in mind.
#14November 28th, 2007 · 02:26 AM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Pop... yeah, your music is pop in an Andy Warhol's way... LOL
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 5:56 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.