#1July 29th, 2006 · 07:32 AM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
Guitar Strings....again...
Sametitle, differant question.
What strings are better for Metal Lead guitar style playing. I've always asumed it was lighter strings (Ernie Ball Super Slinkies) but I'm starting to go off them, they have such poor sound quality when playing chords and just don't resonate. Though I don't like playing with heavies like my friend does on his Telecaster. They just sound too bass like and arern't really fun to play with.
So I'm guessing I should go somewhere in the middle....?
Also, just wondering, what are the strings like that you get with an Ibanez out of the box(as it were). I've only played it a couple of times.
Cheers,
KI
#2July 29th, 2006 · 11:11 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Well, I use some D'Addario strings, middle ones; 0.09 and on...
They sound pretty good.
You should try them.

> Iszil
#3July 30th, 2006 · 10:17 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
i use D'Addario strings for years, but 0.10 gives me the best results, guess thats personal

good luck
#4July 30th, 2006 · 10:36 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
well...
Basically, there is no actual best string for this type of music...It is dependant on the guitar you are using,  although, you get better tone for metal not from a set, but by buying individual strings, you will need for strings 1, 2, 3 should be .010 .012 .014   then strings 4, 5, 6 should be .032 .042 and .052..  This will allow you to get the great bassy tones to the power chords.. and still allow you to do some hot bending action on the leads...

For blues/jazz you should go a bit more light on the low end, say to .030 .040 .050.. this will allow to get a bit more mellow sound, and even be able to bend the d string...

but anyway, this is still just a suggestion.. you should always use what you are comfortable with... or what you have...  I am running on my electrics right now, on the strat I have .008/.011/.014/.022/.030/.038.. that is extremely light gauge.. but I love to bend.. I am a bend-a-holic.... so on the telecaster I have .010/.014/.020/.028/.038/.048.. THat gives me more of a nice smooth western feel... warm and soft...  and then, on the lespaul I am running .011/.014/.018/.028/.038/.049.. Much more jazzy..  very interesting tone..
My 60's Guyatone is running .012/.016/.24/.032/.042/.052..  This is interesting because it sounds so much different on here, than on the strat(I tried them on there)..  THis has a more woody tone to it, and is great for blues.... just really opens up to it....  on the strat is was much different.. so, really string gauges are dependant on the guitar...
Different guitars have different tonal qualities... and not every tele or strat is alike....so it is best to experiment and find the string gauge that when you play and hear it, you say yeah, that's it...

Jim K
#5July 30th, 2006 · 11:06 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
MaxdB wrote…
i use D'Addario strings for years, but 0.10 gives me the best results, guess thats personal

good luck

funny, same here... D'Addario.. 0.10...

In my more punky days I did put bronze wound D and G strings on my electric... I loved that "rounded sound", and fitted my music (...) The wounded G providing a much thicker, more massive, and warmer sound to chords, but it's not suitable for lead since it's much "heavier" to play. I really liked getting a massive sounding, rich in low-end high-position powerchord though, through the use of that bronze wound D and G.

I don't like light sets too much (.09), natural string deterioration makes the desired "presence" wear off within a month which somehow doesn't seem to happen as fast with .10 sets, leaving only a feeble, tinny, rusted experience... "wiping" strings with a clean, dry cloth (I often simply use my T shirt) after use keeps em decent for many months longer, and with .10 strings the minor deterioration that DOES set in is compensated adequately by the extra mass which hasn't been affected by oxidation.

Plus I keep breaking strings on lighter sets... . . .  ... .. ..
#6July 30th, 2006 · 11:52 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
mee too
that's why i went to 0.11  I was playing out alot and I tend to attack the strings hard sometimes for effect and anything lighter that 011 kept breaking. I've only broken the 011 one time.

Like Jim said if I what a fatter heavy bottom end punch I increase the guage on the 4th 5th and 6th strings.

I use addarios, and sometime, if there is a sale on another brand of strings, I'll by those instead. I used to use ghs boomers, but  these strings will eat your frets up if you play alot.
#7July 31st, 2006 · 10:32 AM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
from what I know, it really depends on your guitar....if you've got a fender..you'll need heavier strings to get a really full distorted sound...but if you're a gibson guy, you can get away with lighter strings because the guitar itself sounds meatier....I think I recall you talking about a a strat...so I'd have to go with Jim about mixing your guages... and using heavier strings for your E A D...

as for type...d'Addarios...but don't underestimate the power of the dean markleys..
#8July 31st, 2006 · 02:34 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
you might try an ernie ball hybrid. for instance, light top, heavy bottom, which is what I've been using for a while. it seems to be a nice balance.
#9August 1st, 2006 · 08:27 AM
21 threads
235 posts
United Kingdom
Woh, nice, didn't think this thread was gonna be so popular.
I saw a set of hybrids a while back and was tempted to buy them cause they sounded cool, but I felt that was a stupid reason so stuck with the 0.9s. I'll probably try those.
Got me thinking though, perhaps I should mix gage and make, see what sound that produces.
Plus I'm gonna use heavier now, even if for the sole reason that the 0.9s rust so stupidly quick. Cheers for the info on that PX, I wondered what I could do about it Hadn't crossed my mind that gage would effect how quickly the strings deteriorate.
Thanks a bunch guys!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 1:12 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.