#1June 9th, 2010 · 11:08 AM
34 threads / 18 songs
68 posts
Denmark
Guitar camping
Hey, I'm going to do a little camping soon, in a tent. And I want my guitar with me. Of course the acoustic, I have a Spanish guitar. But considering about buying a western. Is there something I have to think about before going? How do I protect it best? Can it stay outside for a long time? And if I'm buying a western is there then some who is better for outdoor than others?
#2June 9th, 2010 · 11:35 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hi,

If you're going camping, take a very cheap guitar with you. In outdoors conditions sound quality doesn't matter much anyway and if it breaks for any reason, it's not a big loss. If you are going to bring an expensive guitar, you should carry it around in a hard case, do not allow other people to play or even touch it and put it right back in the case after you're done. Also put a lock and a chain on the case and place surveillance cameras in close perimeter. Else a (water resistent) bag should suffice. That said, avoid humidity, never leave it out in the sun (avoid direct sunlight on the guitar at all, if possible), avoid strong temperature differences and most importantly avoid playing before drunk people who might not appreciate your choice of style very much. This will significantly improve the lifespan of the guitar you're bringing, regardless it's value.

Something to consider too: steel strings have more volume but are also prone to breaking more often, so bring extra sets.

Also, get travel insurance, just in case.

Most of all, enjoy!
#3June 9th, 2010 · 06:11 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Guitar camping
Zitto93 wrote…
Hey, I'm going to do a little camping soon, in a tent. And I want my guitar with me. Of course the acoustic, I have a Spanish guitar. But considering about buying a western. Is there something I have to think about before going? How do I protect it best? Can it stay outside for a long time? And if I'm buying a western is there then some who is better for outdoor than others?

take nothing u cant afford to lose ................(water....herds of sheep ..etc)
It is a piece of wood!!
if u have a valuable guitar .....LEAVE IT AT HOME
IF U VALUE IT .............. LEAVE IT AT HOME
take anything else.........

i take my banjo ....... it was free
Prudential fish
#4June 11th, 2010 · 07:43 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
Yeah man,  if you love it leave it.  Anything can happen camping.  I usually take a cheap Applause copy of the Ovation Celebrity guitar. It's all non-wood so no worries about humidity/temperature. Sometimes I'll take a 6 string Banjo too but that travels in a nice compact hardshell case and stays there unless I'm playing it.
Good Luck and have fun in the great outdoors!!!...SkunkApe
#5June 14th, 2010 · 02:57 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
SkunkApe wrote…
Yeah man,  if you love it leave it.  Anything can happen camping.  I usually take a cheap Applause copy of the Ovation Celebrity guitar. It's all non-wood so no worries about humidity/temperature. Sometimes I'll take a 6 string Banjo too but that travels in a nice compact hardshell case and stays there unless I'm playing it.
Good Luck and have fun in the great outdoors!!!...SkunkApe
I also have one of those cheap Applause guitars - it's great for such things! It has a plastic body with an aluminum neck (it actually doesn't sound too bad considering all this), so it's pretty safe for camping and such. You might look for one of those....
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 3rd, 2024 · 12:45 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.