#1May 29th, 2010 · 12:14 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Car Problems
I didn't want to bother you with my car problems until NOW...lol
About six weeks ago the timing went on my car, it's nice car a Mercedes C200 Aventgarde SE, 2003 model, only done 56K. so basically it messed up the engine BIG TIME.
The first quote I got to repair it was £4000...OUCH, The trade price in good nick is about £5,500
My last finance installment is on June the 1st, so I was looking forward to saving some money...LOL
Prior to that I worked out a savings plan so I could finish paying off my mortgage, I've got an endowment policy, which will expire in three years, and will come short of about £15,000.

So yeah I was completely thrown off track into the jungle with leopards and what not chasing me...LOL

For those that don't know me, well I'm 50 years now, and after a big struggle in the 90's, I found my feet around 1999, the road has been nice and steady, until my CAR PROBLEM....lol

Well I'm out of the jungle now, battered and bruised, but well on the MEND...lol

I got lucky, my daughters boyfriends father runs a garage, been a mechanic for 35 years, volunteered to take it on, he worked on it for 5 weeks, replaced the engine head and many many parts, plus his friend is a top mechanic at Mercedes, who was overseeing the work.

Well it still cost a lot of money in total £2,580.00, but it was either that or scraping it.

Is it that most males completely fall apart when their motor has a problem....looking back on it, all the worry and heartache I had was over a LUMP OF METAL.....LOL
#2May 29th, 2010 · 01:38 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Yeah, worry over a lump of metal..but we all do it. Let's face it, a car is one of our largest investments and many of us depend on them terribly (I envy cultures that are not so dependent on them). So, it is understandable that you experienced some angst over the multiple stressors that arise out of such a calamity. The Mercedes is a great car until it starts giving you trouble like this and then you start to discover they utilize some very curious engineering practices that can be subject to catastrophic failure (and enormous repair bills). Your typical Mercedes owner (being well-heeled financially), typically trades the car off while it is still fairly new or has the financial resources to keep fixing it. As you begin to plan further to stabilize your financial situation (a wise practice as you move into your 50's), it may also be a good idea to consider investing in a cheaper, more reliable, less exotic car, perhaps one-owner-used with a good service record.
#3May 29th, 2010 · 02:52 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
Yeah, worry over a lump of metal..but we all do it. Let's face it, a car is one of our largest investments and many of us depend on them terribly (I envy cultures that are not so dependent on them). So, it is understandable that you experienced some angst over the multiple stressors that arise out of such a calamity. The Mercedes is a great car until it starts giving you trouble like this and then you start to discover they utilize some very curious engineering practices that can be subject to catastrophic failure (and enormous repair bills). Your typical Mercedes owner (being well-heeled financially), typically trades the car off while it is still fairly new or has the financial resources to keep fixing it. As you begin to plan further to stabilize your financial situation (a wise practice as you move into your 50's), it may also be a good idea to consider investing in a cheaper, more reliable, less exotic car, perhaps one-owner-used with a good service record.

I hear ya, when I bought it, I was thinking pratical, buy a Ford Focus, had the chance then to get 25% off the retail, as a relative worked for them, which was the same price as the Merc I bought ( nearly 3 years old), About £14,000. You see it was that Man thing in me and took over. When will  I learn eh!!

So now it's been repaired, it seems silly to go out and buy another car, used cars have gone up in value here in theUK, a three year old Ford Focus with low milleage sells for £7,000. So I'd get probably £5,500 trade-in, not forgetting I've paid out £2,580 in repairs, so really I'm having to fork out another £4,500.  I was tempted to trade it in, but when you work out the math, I'm better off taking a chance and keep the Merc for at least another 4 years, cross fingers it don't bugger-up, the Merc pro mechanic said he'd only ever seen one other  Merc of the same model to have the problem I had, so the the chance of it happening again is high odds.

So if I do go out and get a Ford, what's to say that it gives me problems.

Conclusion: Cars cost too much money ( but I need it for my job), either Walk, get public transport or a bike LOL
#4May 30th, 2010 · 06:34 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
So do you now have car problems or not?
Reading this it sounds like you've solved the problem with the car.....and spent less than you first thought you would have had to.
Yes men and machines.....tell me about it !!
But man made machines so we should be proud of them..not?
So you're not one to stick your head under the bonnet?

Well aye! I come from heaven
And indeed, my son he is a star
My father, he is still in paradise
Working on his car

That reminds me mines in for an mot tomorrow.
#5May 30th, 2010 · 07:46 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
So do you now have car problems or not?
Reading this it sounds like you've solved the problem with the car.....and spent less than you first thought you would have had to.
Yes men and machines.....tell me about it !!
But man made machines so we should be proud of them..not?
So you're not one to stick your head under the bonnet?

Well aye! I come from heaven
Working on his car

That reminds me mines in for an mot tomorrow.

My baby running like a gooden now thanks

"I come from heaven
Working on his car"

One of your songs I believe?, COOL
#6May 30th, 2010 · 05:00 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
I think the word "car" stands for all the problem a man could have in his life, doesnt it?
#7May 31st, 2010 · 11:46 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
"I come from heaven
Working on his car"
I just heard that song on the radio the other day.

Cerebral
Affinity
Reflex

If that^^ is what car stands for it must means all the problems a man could have in his life. It sounds complicated enough.
#8May 31st, 2010 · 04:54 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Here in my car
I can only receive
I can listen to you
It keeps me stable for days
In cars

Here in my car
Where the image breaks down
Will you visit me please?
If I open my door
In cars

Here in my car
I know I've started to think
About leaving tonight
Although nothing seems right
In cars

Gary Numan

I have to change a back brake bulb and tighten my hand brake to get the LR through the MOT.....the other one still needs an engine lol.....
#9May 31st, 2010 · 07:01 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Hang in there Denis...When my motor breaks down...I go all to hell also

love those lyrics
#10June 1st, 2010 · 02:30 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: .
FLYER7747 wrote…
Hang in there Denis...When my motor breaks down...I go all to hell also

love those lyrics

Funny I was thinking about this song yesterday by The Osmand Bros when Kings uploaded the one above;

There�s a message talkin', in the Airodrome
Crazy horses ridin� everywhere
It�s a warning message, every town's gotta
Stop them crazy horses on the run

What a show, there they go smokin� up the sky, yeah
Crazy horses are the riders in you and I
Crazy horses, crazy horses, crazy horses

Never stop and they never die
They just keep on pumpin' on their motorbikes
Crazy horses ridin', never halt
Keep on movin' and it's all a ball

What a show, there they go smokin� up the sky, yeah
Crazy horses are the riders in you and I
Crazy horses, crazy horses, crazy horses

So take a good look around, see what they�ve done
What they�ve done...they�ve done...they�ve done...they�ve done...they�ve done

Crazy horses
Crazy horses
Crazy horses
Crazy horses
#11June 1st, 2010 · 07:07 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
"I come from heaven
Working on his car"
I just heard that song on the radio the other day.

Cerebral
Affinity
Reflex

If that^^ is what car stands for it must means all the problems a man could have in his life. It sounds complicated enough.

You heard it here on the AMP, Swordfish/Kings Collab
http://forum.bandamp.com/amp.html?xml=forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/8040.xml&webID=forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/8040.html
#12June 1st, 2010 · 11:46 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
oh!...thats strange i could have sworn i heard those lyrics on the radio...
did you get airplay swordy and kings? lol

(relistened to the song...AH yes I remember now. that song was awesome)
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 3rd, 2024 · 4:04 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.