#1April 21st, 2010 · 07:03 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Malware Attack...
... Unfortunately my main computer at home was attacked by Malware last night around 20:30 local time. Programs called Malware Doctor and Security Tool had installed themselves without warning and without my consent and started to generate false alerts, crippling my entire computer use - and IE windows with ads started to pop up aswell.

I haven't got a clear idea where this attack came from. I didn't download anything, apart from a track earlier today off bandamp, but that can't be it. I did visit a site which didn't seem suspicious at first, I was looking for a program with which I could play mobile phone games on my desktop (as they are java games). Couldn't find anything to my liking and as said I didn't download anything. But ... mobile phone apps are ofcourse very popular so a good place for malware to hide on those sites..

Tried to remove it.. Succesful on Malware Doctor, but Security Tool proved a much tougher cookie. Eventually I thought I had resolved much of the problems but then came startup issues (cpu restarting after windoze loaded).. So went for a repair-install this morning.

This did not resolve the restart issues, just replaced them with blue screen errors, but did repair all the hard work I'd done on getting the Malware off my system.. It had all keenly been restored to full fledge.

So I've decided to bin windoze completely atlast. Going to see how far I'll get with Ubuntu.

This will further hamper my possibilities at creating videos for now as I'll lose Adobe Premiere, but I'm just posting this to all Windows users... This Malware was capable of doing this to me because I was logged as the Administrator of my system. The Malware abused the Administration rights to install itself on my system without me even being aware. So, even if you are the only user on your computer, you'll do yourself a favor by creating a "normal" user account for yourself with limited priviledges, and use that account to browse the web and do your stuff. Malware will not find admin rights to abuse and your security is increased. However, everytime you want to install new software (or hardware) you'll have to log into your admin account.

THANKFULLY I STILL HAVE A WORKING LAPTOP would I run into Ubuntu problems.

Anyway..  I'm just a bit bummed and frustrated.

Cybercriminals need to be put against the wall. I mean it.

PX
#2April 21st, 2010 · 07:07 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
wasn't me... Ubuntu is a good choice...

hmmm mac at last?
#3April 21st, 2010 · 08:22 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
This is the best malwarebytes tool I know, It's never failed for me and friends, even our good friend kings tried it, after many hours of exhaustion to remedy it.

Hope it works.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Make sure you download the FREE version
#4April 21st, 2010 · 01:45 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Denis wrote…
This is the best malwarebytes tool I know, It's never failed for me and friends, even our good friend kings tried it, after many hours of exhaustion to remedy it.

Hope it works.

Make sure you download the FREE version ;)

WOW I am very impressed! Nothing seemed to work last night... But the nasty seems to be fully gone now. Seems Windoze goes for another run... My puter back up all clean now and I followed my own advice, made the "PupsPlayground" account to increase my security

Thanks for the tip Denis!         
#5April 21st, 2010 · 01:58 PM
27 threads / 2 songs
179 posts
Canada
Excellent!

This stuff is rather annoying...considering many virus protection companies pay hackers to make new viruses that force you to purchase the new virus protection program. It is the modern day protection racket. It is about time someone laid the hurt on those companies.
#6April 21st, 2010 · 02:57 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
PuppetXeno wrote…
Denis wrote…

Hope it works.

Make sure you download the FREE version ;)

WOW I am very impressed! Nothing seemed to work last night... But the nasty seems to be fully gone now. Seems Windoze goes for another run... My puter back up all clean now and I followed my own advice, made the "PupsPlayground" account to increase my security

Thanks for the tip Denis!         :star:

Very cool!  Did Malwarebytes cause all that jubilation ? lol
It worked well for me too last time I needed it...thanks again Denis.

They say a CCleaner scan is always the best 'last step', once you've got all the "workings" of a malware out of your system.
But PX dont give up now...you were going for Ubuntu.

The last 'virus' I had on XP also got into the bios or something, because my system was never really the same, I couldn't get into safe mode and stuff. Windows 7 has remedied that and more !! 
#7April 21st, 2010 · 06:32 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
I LOVE malwarebytes - also, you should get the full version - it has a protection system that actively protects you even when launching programs! Also, it doesn't slow ANYTHING down at all!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 4:32 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.