1 2

#1October 30th, 2009 · 04:04 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Red kool-aid is better than green?
Hey guys, Im sure some of you know that we are in the process of recording the album Better Than Green....this album features a song that we wrote called Better Than Green Pt. 1 and the chorus goes "Red kool-aid is better than green"......we might want to put this album up on iTunes and such (through tunecore).....could we get sued for mentioning kool-aid in the song?

red and green kool-aid are metaphors of course.....were not actually singing about kool-aid....

thoughts? are we already sued?
#2October 30th, 2009 · 05:57 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
With no formal legal training I've got to assume that you couldn't get sued for simply mentioning a product in a lyric. Consider how many songs reference products, there's no possible way they all pay royalties if nothing else the paperwork would be frightening.
#3October 30th, 2009 · 11:10 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
See yeah thats exactly what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Is there a link or something that you (or someone) can show me to where it says soemthing like that cause my friend (the other bandmate) wants to change the lyrics to avoid getting sued but i keep telling him itll be fine
#4October 31st, 2009 · 09:19 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Why not simply get written permission, if that's possible?
Or change the spelling, so that it sounds the same??
#5October 31st, 2009 · 11:29 AM
8 threads / 2 songs
79 posts
United States of America
I'm pretty sure you CAN, but kool-aid probably wouldn't mind the free advertisement
better to be safe than sorry, contact the company
#6October 31st, 2009 · 11:54 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
See it in perspective, if you were a charts/radio band capable of making shit loads of money from going "Cherry Pop, Cherry Pop Oo Baby Cherry Pop" then yes they'll come knocking on your door sooner or later.....otherwise when is someone responsible for suing the ass off kids ever going to hear what is otherwise indeed a free add...and it's not as if your negative about their product , just comparing one of their products with an other!

But you never know ... if they were to see a fall in sales of green cool aid and a corresponding raise in red cool ail sales they could do you on the grounds of influencing the market and anyway all the free publicity would do both parties a load of good.

Actually, what an excellent publicity scam.....you propose to them that they sue you , a bunch of unknown kids, for a million bucks (which is theirs to start with), for making and releasing, publicly, on line a song about them.
#7October 31st, 2009 · 01:45 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
See it in perspective, if you were a charts/radio band capable of making shit loads of money from going "Cherry Pop, Cherry Pop Oo Baby Cherry Pop" then yes they'll come knocking on your door sooner or later.....otherwise when is someone responsible for suing the ass off kids ever going to hear what is otherwise indeed a free add...and it's not as if your negative about their product , just comparing one of their products with an other!

But you never know ... if they were to see a fall in sales of green cool aid and a corresponding raise in red cool ail sales they could do you on the grounds of influencing the market and anyway all the free publicity would do both parties a load of good.

Actually, what an excellent publicity scam.....you propose to them that they sue you , a bunch of unknown kids, for a million bucks (which is theirs to start with), for making and releasing, publicly, on line a song about them.

And while your at throw in some more well known TM's, Hmmmmm universal explosion  
#8October 31st, 2009 · 04:50 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
kings wrote…

lol lol lol lol LOL!!! 
i love that whole publicity scam idea kings. then wed REEEALLY get sued. lol. yeah thanks for the advice everyone.
its actually sarcasm saying red kool aid is better than green...(in the song it is..who knows what flavor is better....YOU DECIDE! Walking Stereotype brought to you by Kool-Aid Inc.)
#9November 1st, 2009 · 11:51 AM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
hahaha i would just change the name...

cool-ade sounds a bit better anyway
#10November 1st, 2009 · 11:53 AM
24 threads
166 posts
United States of America
By the way...
red and green kool-aid cannot compare to the wonders of the almighty PURPLE KOOLAID!!
#11November 1st, 2009 · 12:31 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
What about orange juice and apple juice?

--XFactor--
#12November 1st, 2009 · 04:06 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
what about coke and pepsi?

personally coke is way better
#13November 1st, 2009 · 04:12 PM
32 threads
158 posts
United States of America
coke is better but dr. pepper rules lol
#14November 1st, 2009 · 06:45 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
I think Kool-Aid has better things to do than to sue people on using their name in something that's only slightly relevant to their company.

--XFactor--

P.S. Dry ginger ale (specifically Canada Dry) is the way to go.
#15November 2nd, 2009 · 11:11 AM
1 threads
3 posts
Antarctica
coke with orange fanta, all the way!  Ps you could probably get away with it if lyrics aren't published as both kool and aid can be pronounced by means of different spelling
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 5:47 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.