#1October 21st, 2009 · 08:45 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Selling you music on the Internet
I was wondering how to do so.
I know you can so it on iTunes, but don't know exactly is there's any requirement. And, do you know any other sites to do it?
I know it's be a waste of time to try it, cause I doubt someone would buy any of them, but this gave me a good reason to remaster my songs; wanna make them sound better.
Well, any help is welcome.

> Iszil
#2October 21st, 2009 · 10:36 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Im trying to figure this out too man. Im sure someone on here knows
#3October 22nd, 2009 · 03:31 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
http://www.tunecore.com/

There are a few, tuncore seems to be very popular, there are a few members (including myself recently) here that have used tunecore..
It's very easy to set up. You will need to upload wav files. It takes a long time, so book at least a day you have free, or you can just upload one a day and let your PC do all the hard work. Make sure you spell the tracks correctly as once you've uploaded them you don't get a second chance.
Pretty obvious, but when you master your tracks make sure the levels are the same for all the tracks, make sure that you edit the start time and the endings the same, and to put the tracks in an order that flow into each other.
They have a section on how to market the songs if you are serious about selling them, I have not tried it, it would involve a lot of hard work.  I simply just wanted to get an album out there, I'm not interested in how it sells, as you said unless you have a huge fan base or huge marketing programme which would cost an absolute fortune, the likely hood of selling lots of albums is questionable not matter how good the music is.

I cant remember how much it was, it gives you the option of where you want the songs published, from memory the annual membership is $19.95 and 99cents for each place you want to market the songs. you can also create a basic CD Artwork except the main cover. I used Photo shop to create mine it has to be a minimum of  1600 x 1600 pixels. The CD's are sold through Amazon, it's free to create the remaining art work. I think they have the option of creating a basic front cover , but I think it's worth it to create your own.

They also have other marketing tools like internet radio ETC,  it's relatively cheap, but again I've no idea how effective it in terms of selling your music. Simply access tunecore.com to see other marketing tools.

If you want help mastering your songs, I'll try and help as best as I can. I used Adobe Audition to master the tracks. I basically cleaned them up, you know noise reduction and created the optimum recording level without clipping using the limiter, you have to play around with the settings to get it right. There are lots of other tools you can use with Adobe Audition, but I wanted to keep to the original sound as much as possible.

If you want to listen to my album, I'll send you a quality Mp3 version totally free of cource.  I'm quite proud on the quality of the production. I also created a website http://denisahmet.com/ I just thought it would not look good launching an album without a website.

Here is my email
denis.ahmet@gmail.com

Cheers

Denis
#4October 22nd, 2009 · 08:40 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Do you have to pay to put your music on sale?
Is there a way of doing it without having to pay anything previously (previously you sell any of the songs)?
Thank you very much for the help Denis.

> Iszil
#5October 23rd, 2009 · 02:38 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Iszil wrote…
Do you have to pay to put your music on sale?
Is there a way of doing it without having to pay anything previously (previously you sell any of the songs)?
Thank you very much for the help Denis.

> Iszil

Once you have paid the initial fee, you get 100% of downloads and I think 75% of CD sales.
I don't know of any other publisher that will set it up for free in respect of iTunes, Amazon ETC. I'm sure if you were to google it, something will turn up.  I know when I published mine I came across a couple of sites that did reviews, Tunecore was in the top 3.
http://www.facebook.com/denis.ahmet?v=app_2405167945&ref=profile
Facebook are working with Reverbnation.com, it's a new thing, it seems to be taking off very quickly, if you log on to Facebook there is a tab for creating a band page. or access reverbnation.com
There are many other sites like BandAMP where you can upload your songs and earn money from downloads, but again unless you have a fanbase etc, the chances of selling any is limited. Those sites are free to upload.

Cheers
#6October 26th, 2009 · 02:22 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Hey Denis, I forgot to mention, congratulations with getting your album out there! Thats really awesome.

Me and my band want to (once we finish our album) look at some options of what we could do. TuneCore is one option, but I've always wanted to just hold in my hand a proffesional CD with our artwork and our CD inside. Do you have any suggestions?

Maybe we could start out on TuneCore and see how that goes? We arent trying to make it big, we just sort of want it out there, and really want just a few copies on a physical CD and things like that.

Say we have a 10 track album and want to put it on TuneCore and have it go to like iTunes US, iTunes Canada, Amazon MP3, and Rhapsody, how much would it cost? I know that they have the annual $20, and itd be 99 cents a song, so about $10, and then 99 cents a store? so $34?

I also looked on tunecore all over but still dont understand how much you get paid if someone buys your album or song...
I know they have different options like Fixed Pay Rate or something but I dont understand how much of the profits that you actually get. Tunecore says they dont take anything...
#7October 27th, 2009 · 04:20 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Hey Denis, I forgot to mention, congratulations with getting your album out there! Thats really awesome.

Me and my band want to (once we finish our album) look at some options of what we could do. TuneCore is one option, but I've always wanted to just hold in my hand a proffesional CD with our artwork and our CD inside. Do you have any suggestions?

Maybe we could start out on TuneCore and see how that goes? We arent trying to make it big, we just sort of want it out there, and really want just a few copies on a physical CD and things like that.

Say we have a 10 track album and want to put it on TuneCore and have it go to like iTunes US, iTunes Canada, Amazon MP3, and Rhapsody, how much would it cost? I know that they have the annual $20, and itd be 99 cents a song, so about $10, and then 99 cents a store? so $34?

I also looked on tunecore all over but still dont understand how much you get paid if someone buys your album or song...
I know they have different options like Fixed Pay Rate or something but I dont understand how much of the profits that you actually get. Tunecore says they dont take anything...

Your sums a correct.

I would concentrate on your music for now, produce an album as best as you can.
Marketing your music is a full time job, unless you are signed.

There are various ways of creating your own CD art work. I used Photoshop and googled free templates. I purchased a cheap guillotine.
I've also got Avery CD artwork maker, http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=106282
plus have a lightscribe CD writer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVD1170e-22x-Lightscribe-DVDRW-Kit/dp/B0023T19TW/ref=sr_1_1/277-8377721-9530441?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256652836&sr=8-1
I would not get them pro produced unless you know they are going to sell. You need a big fan bass, you have to gig in the right places, create a wicked My space web site, get you music out to as many websites as possible, Air play ETC. These days Artists don't earn much money from Cd sales, its from Merchandise and gigs

You can also create a Basic Cd with your own front cover artwork through Tunecore that is sold through Amazon, It's FREE (other than the membership, song and store fess metioned in the threads above), except you get 75% of the royalties (100% on downloads). The inlay is basic, printed on what every colour you choose.

If you want the templates for photoshop send me an email:
denis.ahmet@gmail.com

Cheers
#8October 27th, 2009 · 01:36 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Awesome ok thanks denis! We were just thinking a little bit ahead...seeing what our options would be when we do finish the album.
I have lightscribe writers. so thats a check.

Thanks for your help and I'll check out some of those links and I might shoot you an email later on!

thanks!!!
#9January 27th, 2010 · 08:17 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
There's a site called routenote.com that sells your mp3's on Amazon, ITunes and a few other sites.  Theres no up front charge but they take 10% of sales and you get 90%. I have not tried them yet and have not heard anything good or bad about them but just wanted to pass on the info....Skunk
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 11:47 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.